Page 614 of 821 FirstFirst ... 114514564604610611612613614615616617618624664714 ... LastLast
Results 9,196 to 9,210 of 12315

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Geoffrey Thorne

wrote Avengers Assemble episodes along with writer of Black Panthe: Panther Quest. Also writes comics
    From what I understand Redjack's Green Lantern is pretty good, I'm waiting for the trade though. $5 is too much for a single.

Do boys even play with action figures like that anymore? Hell, seem like they on they own phone like in the 3rd grade these days. If I'm going by my own timeline, by the time 5th grade came around, the action figure thing was pretty much over so the prime years are between 1st and 4th grade. That's not a lot of time back in the day to develop IP and produce product, what Eason did was pretty remarkable without a cartoon when you think about it.

I'm feeling a small twinge of 36 year old remorse over this Sun-Man thing. People gotta realize without a cartoon back in the day, it would have been hard to get your toy in the hands of kids in a saturated market. Nobody wanted to be the only kid with a Sun-Man even though his model did fit in real smooth with the MOTU line. He was definitely no less cool than anybody else (the length of the yellow neck thing was a bit much), which was something the Lando character post Empire and pre-Jedi didn't deal with. There's a brotha on YT that put a video together of all the 'token' characters from the 80s cartoons. I balk at that label because there is too much room for it to be a pejorative but in a sense that's kinda what they were. Now they did function in equal capacity, often times (Bionic Six and Galaxy Rangers) the brotha was the smart one, nevertheless when everybody has just the one it's hard to call it different. GI Joe skirted that just because of sheer numbers of characters but it just goes to show this is still a thing. Sun-Man's gotta have his own animated immegitly.

I wonder what level of old product Yla Eason is still holding onto, if any. Wasn't much of a collector market back in the day but her ships definitely came in since.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Do boys even play with action figures like that anymore? Hell, seem like they on they own phone like in the 3rd grade these days. If I'm going by my own timeline, by the time 5th grade came around, the action figure thing was pretty much over so the prime years are between 1st and 4th grade. That's not a lot of time back in the day to develop IP and produce product, what Eason did was pretty remarkable without a cartoon when you think about it.

My oldest is in third grade and he will drag out some action figures/toys like once a month. Talking like dinosaurs, paw patrol, pokemon, maybe some super heroes. And he doesn't have his own phone but a lot of his class mates do.

It peaked in like first grade though and has been slowly downhill every since. I think he still only plays with them as much as he does because his younger brother is in kindergarten and he plays with him. We have actually been trying to throw away some toys (we have so many) but he is still at this weird age where he is attached to the toys but won't play with them.

He's much more interested in legos or games in his head (pretend type stuff with his brother) or random science kits or something.

We limit tablet or switch or laptop time though a lot more than most parents we know. If he had the option to sit on electronics, he wouldn't leave the couch.

The way to get kids interested in an IP IME is video games and then cartoons. My oldest gravitated from liking Parker to liking Miles more atm because of a video game where he liked Miles powers better
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

Geoffrey Thorne

wrote Avengers Assemble episodes along with writer of Black Panthe: Panther Quest. Also writes comics
    Oh okay cool.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    But...were these fans, or were these scalpers?

I guess it doesn't matter as long as we get all/most of Sun-Man and his crew plus Pig-Head. If they don't care WHO bought them as long as they sold out, then I'm happy, cause that means MORE in the future.

Dare I dream of an animated series written by Redjack down the line? Dare I?
    That is who it was.

. People gotta realize without a cartoon back in the day, it would have been hard to get your toy in the hands of kids in a saturated market.
    If nobody could find your stuff in stores-it didn't matter. Yes a lot of toys had shows. How many of them actually succeed?

Disney's Talespin and Darkwing Duck had toys. I never saw them until after 2000 (I own all of them except for Don Karnage's plane...)

Even Star Wars BOMBED with Droids & Ewoks. We won't mention Wheel Warriors that had toys with figures that were not in the show.

Secret Wars did not have a show. Nor did Crystar or Power Lord. Nor did the Dc Justice Line with the first Black Lightning figure.

Even with a show guess who got DENIED toys??? STATIC-the guy with the second highest rated cartoon show.

Extraordinary Member

Welp, I finally saw Shang Chi in a near empty (on a weekday, in the Afternoon) theater.

It was really, really good! Fight scenes are great, especially given that Simu isn't a Martial artist. Props to him for putting in the work.

Not just the fights scenes either, I've been a fan of Tony Leung for years now and he is typically great in this, but I liked everyone in this even Awkwafina. So this movie is doing well everywhere but China.

So the big blowup with China happened because they found a old Simu Lee interview where he recalls his PARENTS saying negative stuff about China.

Not Simu mind you his parents, when he was a kid. And they banned the movie for that. It's like they were looking for $#!} to be pissed off at.

Clearly unless you are giving China a verbal BJ every time you mention them (see the 2021 version of Jackie Chan) they are gonna find a reason to ban you.

The good thing about all this is that maybe Marvel Studios/Disney and others will stop kissing China's repressive ass and just make the movies they want to make.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Welp, I finally saw Shang Chi in a near empty (on a weekday, in the Afternoon) theater.

It was really, really good! Fight scenes are great, especially given that Simu isn't a Martial artist. Props to him for putting in the work.

Not just the fights scenes either, I've been a fan of Tony Leung for years now and he is typically great in this, but I liked everyone in this even Awkwafina. So this movie is doing well everywhere but China.

So the big blowup with China happened because they found a old Simu Lee interview where he recalls his PARENTS saying negative stuff about China.

Not Simu mind you his parents, when he was a kid. And they banned the movie for that. It's like they were looking for $#!} to be pissed off at.

Clearly unless you are giving China a verbal BJ every time you mention them (see the 2021 version of Jackie Chan) they are gonna find a reason to ban you.

The good thing about all this is that maybe Marvel Studios/Disney and others will stop kissing China's repressive ass and just make the movies they want to make.
    If and when that does happen, I don't want to hear anyone acting all shocked and appalled about Hollywood suddenly going back to making all Asian characters into racist caricatures.

I don't know who needs to hear this, but you can't make a movie that insults people, and then expect them to pay for it. In China, people who move to the West and then turn around and badmouth their home country are largely seen as Uncle Toms, and I have more than a bit of firsthand knowledge that the hardcore anti-communist diaspora absolutely drill that **** into their kids' minds from the minute they leave the country, so I would be very surprised if Liu's opinions were any different. So why should any audiences be forced to support someone like that if they don't want to?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

I am sure the Chinese government doesn't give two figs what his parents said. Shang Chi has been caught in some larger machinations of China. Wait for the ask, then we will know what their angle is.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    If and when that does happen, I don't want to hear anyone acting all shocked and appalled about Hollywood suddenly going back to making all Asian characters into racist caricatures.
    Go back? When did they ever stop? Just look at Daredevil, Iron Fist or Mulan 2020.

The idea that CCP pandering is the only thing stopping Hollywood from making all Asian characters racist caricatures is laughable. Hollywood wasn't trying to appeal to all of Asia. They weren't even trying to appeal to the Chinese people. It was the CCP who were there main targets.

I don't know who needs to hear this, but you can't make a movie that insults people, and then expect them to pay for it. In China, people who move to the West and then turn around and badmouth their home country are largely seen as Uncle Toms, and I have more than a bit of firsthand knowledge that the hardcore anti-communist diaspora absolutely drill that **** into their kids' minds from the minute they leave the country, so I would be very surprised if Liu's opinions were any different. So why should any audiences be forced to support someone like that if they don't want to?
    Assuming Liu has ever said anything negative about China himself (which you have no proof of him doing), he would only be repeating what his parents had told him about their experiences in the homeland and given what the government there is like, I can hardly blame them for not having the most positive feelings towards them. And I doubt they are the only people from China who feel that way.

All in all, I can't see how anyone can see the CCP as the innocent victims here given what they've done and are still doing to their own people. They do not represent all of China let alone the entire continent of Asia. Any government that overly sensitive towards criticism isn't worth supporting.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-16-2021 at 09:13 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Go back? When did they ever stop? Just look at Daredevil, Iron Fist or Mulan 2020.

The idea that CCP pandering is the only thing stopping Hollywood from making all Asian characters racist caricatures is laughable. Hollywood wasn't trying to appeal to all of Asia. They weren't even trying to appeal to the Chinese people. It was the CCP who were there main targets.

Assuming Liu has ever said anything negative about China himself (which you have no proof of him doing), he would only be repeating what his parents had told him about their experiences in the homeland and given what the government there is like, I can hardly blame them for not having the most positive feelings towards them. And I doubt they are the only people from China who feel that way.

All in all, I can't see how anyone can see the CCP as the innocent victims here given what they've done and are still doing to their own people. They do not represent all of China let alone the entire continent of Asia. Any government that overly sensitive towards criticism isn't worth supporting.
    I hate to break it to you, but the "CCP" is not some tiny cabal of mustache twirling supervillains who are totally out of touch with the greater mass of people who are just dying to be sold a watered down version of their own culture. And yes, China doesn't represent all of Asia, but it does represent a pretty massive chunk of it, Hollywood doesn't really see the other Asian countries as significant enough markets, never mind Asian Americans who are a tiny demographic who barely anyone bothers marketing to.

China is seen as an important market by Hollywood and Western companies not just because of its size, but because of the general perception that it's full of nouveau riche idiots who will buy anything. The reason that studios rely on the Chinese box office to rescue mediocre films is also the same reason that over the hill athletes and out of date fashion brands have found success there. But that is beginning to change, and people there are now recognizing the power they have as consumers, rather than just accepting whatever garbage gets dumped on them. And most of the instances of Hollywood "pandering" to China are laughably minor anyway, like casting a well-known Chinese actor to make a brief cameo with no lines.

And yeah, it's easy to get the impression that China is some dystopian hellscape when the only voices you ever hear are people like Simu Liu and his parents, English language media would never give a platform to anyone who supports the government or cites the advances that the country has made in the last few decades. Of course Westerners can never wrap their heads around this, but the Chinese public overwhelming approves of the government and the party, not because they're brainwashed but because they've seen their lives improve massively under their watch, and would not want to see a movie that insults them or portrays them as the bad guys, which absolutely would happen if Hollywood didn't have to pander to Chinese censors. Even the vast majority of the diaspora supports the Chinese government, even if they tend to keep quiet about it, the only reason you have probably never heard about it from your Chinese friends is likely because they just want to fit in and get along.

So why should any audiences be forced to support someone like that if they don't want to?
    In normal countries, the people get a chance to make that decision. Not the government.

Trump wasn't banning NBA games because Lebron called him a bum.

Billionaires don't disappear because they said the wrong thing.
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 09-17-2021 at 05:33 AM.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I hate to break it to you, but the "CCP" is not some tiny cabal of mustache twirling supervillains who are totally out of touch with the greater mass of people who are just dying to be sold a watered down version of their own culture.
    Neither are Liu or his parents despite what you're implying.

And yeah, it's easy to get the impression that China is some dystopian hellscape when the only voices you ever hear are people like Simu Liu and his parents, English language media would never give a platform to anyone who supports the government or cites the advances that the country has made in the last few decades. Of course Westerners can never wrap their heads around this, but the Chinese public overwhelming approves of the government and the party, not because they're brainwashed but because they've seen their lives improve massively under their watch, and would not want to see a movie that insults them or portrays them as the bad guys, which absolutely would happen if Hollywood didn't have to pander to Chinese censors. Even the vast majority of the diaspora supports the Chinese government, even if they tend to keep quiet about it, the only reason you have probably never heard about it from your Chinese friends is likely because they just want to fit in and get along.
    Liu's parents' opinions aren't less valid just because they aren't the majority nor does it make any criticisms of the CCP any less valid. Believe it or not, being against the CCP and being against China as a whole are not the same thing.

Asian Americans also like this movie just fine despite your claims that it is insulting to their culture and the CCP so either they don't care after all or it isn't as insulting as you claim. I'm betting the latter is the case.

Either way, hating this film because of something the lead's parents said some time ago or crediting CCP pandering as the reason Hollywood is no longer depicting racist Asian caricatures is ridiculous.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-17-2021 at 05:36 AM.

BANNED

In normal countries, the people get a chance to make that decision. Not the government.

Trump wasn't banning NBA games because Lebron called him a bum.

Billionaires don't disappear because they said the wrong thing.
    Nobody is obligated to air NBA games or show Marvel movies. How many networks here would willingly broadcast Karl Marx Happy Fun Time Hour?

Also, billionaires disappearing is a good thing, I wish some of ours would disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Neither are Liu or his parents despite what you're implying.

Liu's parents' opinions aren't less valid just because they aren't the majority nor does it make any criticisms of the CCP any less valid. Believe it or not, being against the CCP and being against China as a whole are not the same thing.

Asian Americans also like this movie just fine despite your claims that it is insulting to their culture and the CCP so either they don't care after all or it isn't as insulting as you claim. I'm betting the latter is the case.

Either way, hating this film because of something the lead's parents said some time ago or crediting CCP pandering as the reason Hollywood is no longer depicting racist Asian caricatures is ridiculous.
    The point is not that Liu's parents don't have valid criticisms or that everything in China is peachy keen because the majority is happy with the government, anybody who has ever been to China knows that there are deep structural issues that need to be solved and that it will take a lot time, hard work, and difficult choices to address those. The point is that people like you only ever hear the opinions of those people, and never hear anybody making positive comments about the Chinese government or the party, so you assume that the country must be a totalitarian hellhole where everybody is dying to escape and breathe the free air on Western shores, and the fact that so many people here believe that without bothering to do an ounce of research about the reality of the situation says a lot about who is actually suffering from propaganda and brainwashing.

And sure, it is hypothetically possible to hate the Chinese government and not the people, but I must say I have a hard time believing anyone who makes a claim like that, because it's usually followed up by some claim that Chinese people are uncivilized savages who eat cats and dogs and bats, or that Chinese netizens are overly sensitive for getting mad about having to pay for the privilege of telling them their country sucks or that, ackshually, Chinese people are the REAL racists because of one video of a dude harassing some black people, never mind that for every one of those there are hundreds of videos you can find of the same thing happening over here.

Look, I would never fault anyone for enjoying a movie and if they think that this depiction is empowering and makes them feel proud, that's great. But what I don't have time for is people who will claim that and then in the same breath rant about how the CCP is an evil oppressive regime that is responsible for everything wrong with the world, even *gasp* making movies slightly worse (but not in a really noticeable way unless you're really paying attention)! If you can't make the link between the orientalist caricatures this film is supposed to be pushing back against, and the red scare propaganda that is being pushed on us now, then don't be surprised when increasing hostility between the US and China leads to more racism and hate crimes against anyone that looks remotely Chinese, no matter how many times well-intentioned white people plead to "stop Asian hate."

Nobody is obligated to air NBA games or show Marvel movies. How many networks here would willingly broadcast Karl Marx Happy Fun Time Hour?
    That isn't the same thing. You are going to the extreme to prove a point that doesn't exist.

Also, billionaires disappearing is a good thing, I wish some of ours would disappear.
    Yikes. Want them to hang out with the uyghur muslims or something?

BANNED

That isn't the same thing. You are going to the extreme to prove a point that doesn't exist.

Yikes. Want them to hang out with the uyghur muslims or something?
    This might come as a shock, but the Chinese government really doesn't keep close tabs on pop cultural happenings, these moves were all done in response to public outcry by an admittedly pretty nationalistic group of Chinese netizens. Every country is selective about what foreign programs they allow to be broadcasted, why are American companies entitled to insult their audience on one hand, and profit from the on the other?

And sure, making jokes about disappearing Uyghurs is really the best way to demonstrate that you're genuinely shocked and appalled about what you think is happening there. I'm not sure if you realize this, but most Chinese billionaires made their fortunes through corruption, market manipulation, and exploiting their workers, which makes them the same as billionaires anywhere else. Oh sure, the way it's reported here always makes it looks like these are show trials meant to demonstrate the party's power, but even those articles don't try to claim that the billionaires being prosecuted weren't guilty of their crimes or didn't deserve to be punished, only that this wasn't the party's true motive in going after them. And wouldn't you know it, removing those "thought leaders" and "job creators" from the equation didn't harm the economy one bit, funny that.