Page 616 of 821 FirstFirst ... 116516566606612613614615616617618619620626666716 ... LastLast
Results 9,226 to 9,240 of 12315

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Afrika Bambaataa has faced multiple allegations of child sexual abuse and people don't seem to talk about it very much.
    I mean the allegations were fairly recent and tbh, you gotta be at least 40 years old for that name to even have any cultural impact. But that's the first name I thought of too. KRS-One was even asked about that on Drink Champs and he made a point. When he was coming up back when parts of New York looked like War Zone, he was homeless. Scott La Rock was a social worker before they made a record. He said he was around shooters, cats with warrants running from the police, robbers, dealers, Hip-Hop and the street are intertwined on many levels. Not making any excuses and hopefully being an accessory to any of that is over the line but Minaj has always been such a blockhead, I remember when Budden her on the pod, she made him seem like the straight man in some fucked up cornball comedy. I'm not felony shaming but her situation is quite the unique set of circumstances. She just had new baby right? How the baby's father AND Uncle cant be around minors and have to report as serious sex offenders for the rest of their life.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Extraordinary Member

Talk about your deep cuts.

Afrika Bambaataa has faced multiple allegations of child sexual abuse and people don't seem to talk about it very much.
    It was known back in the day, but it never hit the mass media then, due to people covering for him at the time.

And when the allegation did become public decades later (like 2016, thereabouts)...you would have to be a Hip Hop fan of 45+ years of age to know or care who Bambaataa was by then and he was never on the level of LL and them fame wise to begin with.

If it wasn't for his collab with James Brown, I probably wouldn't have known about him being in hip hop either.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 09-17-2021 at 12:47 PM.

Because nobody cares abotu sexual abuse, especially with minors.

I mean ****... look what happened with olympic gymnist... whole damn system is corrupt and one guy got in trouble? give me a break

It is so deeply ingrained to protect the perpetrators (how many "funny uncles" were there no one cared about?) that you gotta burn the whole forrest down
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    hey, since you bring up here

Yikes Nicki is a pretty terrible human being and yikes, why is she around so many sex offenders
    Because the old school folks who would take issue with it-are no longer around or have been pushed away by enablers.

Folks want to be selective in who gets push back and who does not. Because they have agendas.
    See Jason Kidd. Yes we ALL know he popped his wife a few times. We heard about it and everyone dealt with it and moved on.

He was head coach at Brooklyn and the Bucks and Assistant on the Fakers-nobody bout up the domestic stuff. Yet because Becky Hamon was interviewing for head coaching jobs-guess what got bought back up?
    Meanwhile that echo chamber is NOT bringing up the messing with women that Derrick Rose got accused of and he is in the biggest media market there is.

Let not forget about a certain FORMER editor at DC. He last 20 years.

And Nicki is one of those who has been enabled. You can't say anything about her with her fans attacking you worst than Lil Nas X and Beyonce fans.

She KNEW what she was doing. She did NOT have to mention her cousin.

How hard is it to say "I am still researching the side effects of the vaccines because I'm planning to tour."

Now she has embarrassed HERSELF..... Fed ammo to the anti-vaxxers (who are getting our of control) and made her homeland look bad. They had to say that story never happened.

Because she wants attention.

Jason Kidd is such a trash human being, can't believe he got ANOTHER job. Just nuts.

Esp since the mavs had issues of their own with sexual harassment (I think it was that). Just baffling.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Mighty Member

In normal countries, the people get a chance to make that decision. Not the government.

Trump wasn't banning NBA games because Lebron called him a bum.

Billionaires don't disappear because they said the wrong thing.
    Depends on the country and it's level of power so yes, Billionaires can be made to disappear by a powerful enough government or organization.

It was the ultimate facepalm when KRS basically said it doesn't matter what Bambaataa did because he's one of the founding fathers of hip-hop. KRS has been one of my favorite emcees for decades at this point, but I can't see myself ever buying anything from him again after that bullshit statement. Not that I'd bought anything from him in a long time anyway lol.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    This has nothing to with the internet, I've been hearing it from people for my entire life and most of the time I'm content to just nod my head and go about my business. Today I'm feeling a little spicy for unrelated reasons, so I decided to go on this rant.

As for the structural issues, you'd really be surprised. Some longstanding issues that people assumed would NEVER get fixed have been getting addressed lately, and while you never know how these things will turn out in the long run, I would say that broadly speaking people in China are fairly satisfied that is heading in a positive direction.

Not to put too fine a point on it, it's not so much the criticism of the CPC that is causing the hate crimes, but rather the same racist impulses that manifest in the attacks we've been seeing on the street are also responsible for most of the criticism of the Chinese government, and laundering it behind a thin veil of "oh I'm just talking about the government not the country or the people" is kind of like saying that "oh I don't hate Muslims I just hate Islam" or "oh I don't hate black people I just hate thug culture."

I've been around long enough to know that Americans by and large do not give two shits about what happens in China unless it can be used as an argument for why they suck and we are better than them. When has anyone from the West bothered to spend two seconds thinking about the vibrant cultural scene in 21st century China, which yes has a lot of hyper-commercialized crap and shameless copying of Western forms, but also features a ton of innovative artists pushing creative boundaries that are WAY more interesting than the same old recycled nonsense about kung fu, dim sum, dragons, or whatever. When talking about social issues, does anyone ever mention labor rights, the stifling work and study culture, celebrity worship, generational and regional prejudice, and attitudes towards Western influence? No, it's all the same recycled garbage about organ harvesting and concentration camps pushed by some far right lunatic cultists who get all the press. So from the perspective of anyone who is even tangentially informed, it's pretty easy to tell the difference between someone who is offering meaningful criticism and people who are just regurgitating the same old talking points that are ultimately based in racist yellow peril propaganda.
    I'm Nigerian. I've had to deal with stereotypes about my country from ignorant westerners and am as far from a western shill as is humanly possible to get. Believe me when I say I have no interest in propagating anti-Asian racism or xenophobia which is why I have limited my criticisms to the CCP and only the CCP.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Not to put too fine a point on it, it's not so much the criticism of the CPC that is causing the hate crimes, but rather the same racist impulses that manifest in the attacks we've been seeing on the street are also responsible for most of the criticism of the Chinese government, and laundering it behind a thin veil of "oh I'm just talking about the government not the country or the people" is kind of like saying that "oh I don't hate Muslims I just hate Islam" or "oh I don't hate black people I just hate thug culture."
    That's.........not a good analogy, even assuming each and every one of those is coming by-and-large from "bad actors".

Ultimate Member

Jason Kidd is such a trash human being, can't believe he got ANOTHER job. Just nuts.

Esp since the mavs had issues of their own with sexual harassment (I think it was that). Just baffling.
    My thing is some of these echo chambers need to be stay on it and not cherry pick to support an agenda.

And the Mavs front office (not the players or GM or coaches) was a pit of sexual harassments for almost all of Dirk's 20 year career. And they are still axing folks over that on the hush.

But echo chambers love to cherry pick.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm Nigerian. I've had to deal with stereotypes about my country from ignorant westerners and am as far from a western shill as is humanly possible to get. Believe me when I say I have no interest in propagating anti-Asian racism or xenophobia which is why I have limited my criticisms to the CCP and only the CCP.
    In pretty much every case though, the government was simply responding to public outcry, because as it turns out most people value their country more than they do access to Western media products. Simu Liu and his family represent a tiny minority of Western-philic businessmen, urbanites, and diaspora whose views are entirely out of touch with those of vast majority of people, a phenomenon which I'm sure is quite evident in Nigeria and across the rest of Africa as well. Trying to thread the needle by specifically criticizing the government and not the people is an impossible task, because the people by and large support the government and, if you know anything about the Chinese internet, are usually far MORE hostile and nationalistic, and removing the communist party from power will almost surely cause the currently suppressed streak of ethnocentrism and militaristic revanchism to bubble to the surface.

This isn't to say that everyone needs to love China or Chinese people, just that you can't in good faith cherry pick the few things you like about Chinese culture like kung-fu movies and takeout food, and then dismiss practically else as being the machinations of the evil communists who are just suppressing the wishes of the people with censorship and draconian laws, because that's not what's happening. It is kind of an annoying phenomenon these days that people want to say and do racist things, but don't want to be seen as racist, and I would think that as an African you've probably experienced plenty of that first hand. So you'll forgive me if I'm a bit skeptical when suddenly all of the English speaking internet develops a seething hatred for the "CCP" even though practically none them are affected by any of its policies.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Because the old school folks who would take issue with it-are no longer around or have been pushed away by enablers.

Folks want to be selective in who gets push back and who does not. Because they have agendas.
    See Jason Kidd. Yes we ALL know he popped his wife a few times. We heard about it and everyone dealt with it and moved on.

He was head coach at Brooklyn and the Bucks and Assistant on the Fakers-nobody bout up the domestic stuff. Yet because Becky Hamon was interviewing for head coaching jobs-guess what got bought back up?
    Meanwhile that echo chamber is NOT bringing up the messing with women that Derrick Rose got accused of and he is in the biggest media market there is.

Let not forget about a certain FORMER editor at DC. He last 20 years.

And Nicki is one of those who has been enabled. You can't say anything about her with her fans attacking you worst than Lil Nas X and Beyonce fans.

She KNEW what she was doing. She did NOT have to mention her cousin.

How hard is it to say "I am still researching the side effects of the vaccines because I'm planning to tour."

Now she has embarrassed HERSELF..... Fed ammo to the anti-vaxxers (who are getting our of control) and made her homeland look bad. They had to say that story never happened.

Because she wants attention.

He’s ( Kidd) also 5-8 all time PG in NBA history ( not of his generation but all time 75 years history) that’s be reason he got another one. It really shouldn’t be to shocking plus the NBA had like 3-5 black HC out of 30 teams over the last few years which is ridiculous not that number is up to 12-13 still ridiculous. An on Becky while she is qualified to be a head in NBA choice there just as many Black men & Black women ( many’s who’s been waiting MUCH longer ) who are just as qualified as her & in many cases more qualified then her. Miss that in with the team who refuse to only hired white men I’d be shocked if she won’t continue to wait a while longer.

Ultimate Member

Dave Chappelle spoke about this some time back.

A lot of women of color go missing and the media just falls alseep on it. It's as if their lives are somehow lesser.

"Missing white women" syndrome was a term coined years ago and nothing has changed.

Not to downplay poor, poor Gabby Petito's death but so, so many native and indigenous women go missing and the media just sleep on it. But when a young white woman goes missing, its like the everything completely stops.

Ultimate Member

The US is moving very, very fast to capture and dump Hatian migrants back into Haiti.

They are actually moving in record speed to get them back. It's so fast that most of them aren't even getting a hearing. The US has an unspoken extremely harsh policy when it comes to black migrants.

Right now, it's almost impossible to get a visa interview from Nigeria to the US (i hear that people are getting interview dates almost a year out from application date!).

It appears the US has absolute zero tolerance for black asylum seekers. Legal or illegally, the US has done everything possible to stop black people from coming into the US despite a large number of sub-saharan Africans having english speaking skills.

Ultimate Member

Dave Chappelle spoke about this some time back.

A lot of women of color go missing and the media just falls alseep on it. It's as if their lives are somehow lesser.

"Missing white women" syndrome was a term coined years ago and nothing has changed.

Not to downplay poor, poor Gabby Petito's death but so, so many native and indigenous women go missing and the media just sleep on it. But when a young white woman goes missing, its like the everything completely stops.
    It's a massive problem not just in the USA but Canada, too. Idk about other nations like Mexico or Colombia, but I imagine it's a problem there as well.

The irony is how 'missing white woman syndrome' is linked to the excessive use of police force against minorities, and how White people are always viewed as victims needing protection against massive crime waves, yet the actually predominant victims, like Native American women, get minimal, if any, support.

And if I'm not mistaken, White women are mostly likely to be attacked by White men, whom they know.

The US is moving very, very fast to capture and dump Hatian migrants back into Haiti.

They are actually moving in record speed to get them back. It's so fast that most of them aren't even getting a hearing. The US has an unspoken extremely harsh policy when it comes to black migrants.

Right now, it's almost impossible to get a visa interview from Nigeria to the US (i hear that people are getting interview dates almost a year out from application date!).

It appears the US has absolute zero tolerance for black asylum seekers. Legal or illegally, the US has done everything possible to stop black people from coming into the US despite a large number of sub-saharan Africans having english speaking skills.
    I had no idea the USA was that harsh towards Black refugees.
    Last edited by CosmiComic; 09-22-2021 at 02:54 PM.