Page 580 of 826 FirstFirst ... 80480530570576577578579580581582583584590630680 ... LastLast
Results 8,686 to 8,700 of 12390

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    What is this toy?

I've never seen it before.
    Off the dome it was a toy-line created by a Black women who like a ton of Black parents in the 80s, didn't see the representation there should have been. They were hard to find but there was a retailer called Zayre here in Indianapolis, pretty much a Wal-Mart predecessor that carried them. Don't remember ever seeing them at Children's Palace back in the day but Zayre definitely carried the line. Unfortunately with no cartoon to push it, this was early mid 1980s it was going to be tough to market it. I don't remember ever seeing the line at Target. I'm gonna have to Google if she still owns the IP but one would think as much as the figures go for on the collector market some deal could get made for a push on some level.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    AH, not like I expected it but it seem like we didn't get much rhythm on the new Kevin Smith MOTU. A Clamp Champ appearance if you blinked you missed it and a dead King of Eternia. What good are you Mark?

Guess I'll just keep waiting for that Olmec Sun-Man property to find a backer. Been 35 years, some fans ain't worth the effort to even move up to alienating I see.

How DARE you mention Sun-Man...

...without ALSO mentioning Butterfly Woman?

Yeah my folks made it a point to get both Sun-Man AND Pig-Head for me. From the MOTU line I always wanted Clamp Champ and...well, we saw how that went (missing from the MOTU but his female counterpart Netossa had a few eps on She-Ra, blink and you miss it cameo in Revelation).

‘Bridgerton’ Star Regé-Jean Page To Star in Paramount’s New Reimagining Of ‘The Saint’

Following the news that he would not be returning for the second season of Bridgerton, Regé-Jean Page looks to have found his first major starring role since his breakout part in the Netflix series. Sources tell Deadline that Page will star in and executive produce a new, reimagined version of The Saint for Paramount Pictures.

Lorenzo DiBonaventura, Brad Krevoy and Mark Vahradian will produce, with Kwame Kwei-Armah penning the script. The late Robert Evans, who produced Paramount’s 1997 movie adaption starring Val Kilmer, will also get a producer credit.

Based in part on Leslie Charteris’ 1920s book series and subsequent 1960s UK TV series starring Roger Moore, The Saint follows Simon Templar, better known as The Saint, a Robin Hood-esque criminal and thief for hire who goes on a globetrotting adventure. While plot details for this pic are being kept under wraps, insiders say this will be a completely new take that reimagines the character and world around him.
    https://deadline.com/2021/07/bridger...nt-1234800662/

Ultimate Member

The story of Williams sisters.

I hope this movie does them justice because these girls are probably two of the most significant sports figures of the last 20 years.

And two of the most important black women ever.

What is going on with he-man? Why is the usual crowd all pissy about it?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    What is going on with he-man? Why is the usual crowd all pissy about it?
    Why do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Why do you think?

It has way more to do with Teela and herspoilers:
    being the main lead for the first half of the show and her having a side shave.
    end of spoilers

They haven't said anything about King Grayskull from what I've seen but have plenty to say about Andra whom they think is Teela's girlfriend (she isn't).

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Why do you think?

That isn't He-Man. That's his great great grandaddy King Grayskull. Adam/He-Man is still a blond haired, blue eyed white boy. I don't know why they race swapped Ol Grayskull.

The reactionaires are angry because of an alleged bait and switch. They're angry at Kevin Smith, the people defending the show are mad at the reactionaires, there are people who are watching the show just because the reactionaires don't like it. Since when has consumption of media become a form of political activism?

I watched the show, it could have been better and there is some legitimate criticism, but the legitimate criticism gets drowned out by a very loud minority.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    That isn't He-Man. That's his great great grandaddy King Grayskull. Adam/He-Man is still a blond haired, blue eyed white boy. I don't know why they race swapped Ol Grayskull.

The reactionaires are angry because of an alleged bait and switch. They're angry at Kevin Smith, the people defending the show are mad at the reactionaires, there are people who are watching the show just because the reactionaires don't like it. Since when has consumption of media become a form of political activism?

I watched the show, it could have been better and there is some legitimate criticism, but the legitimate criticism gets drowned out by a very loud minority.
    The bolded part is very strange and it's becoming a legitimate concern. You have people latch on and praise stuff because "other side" hates it. We saw it with WAP (an absolute garbage song) and with Battle Angel Alita (a passable movie).

Seriously, people should watch they like and ignore what they don't. I can understand people not liking show but I will always condemn the reactionaries online. I don't like the argument of "I don't like this thing, so it shouldn't exist", it completely rubs me the wrong whether I agree with the media or not. This isn't a conservative or liberal thing, I just don't like that argument (i still remember the Spider-Woman variant cover controversy and how the liberal woke warriors wanted it gone...I was fiercely against that because getting rid of that cover doesn't really achieve anything except muzzle an artist that's known for erotic art).

I actually liked the Masters of the Universe show but there's some stuff I legit didn't like (i wanted more He-man and a more consistent tone). But this wasn't a woke series, like..at all. There was no subtext, no preachiness, no overt statements...absolutely nothing. The only thing close to being poltical is the race swap of the original champion (I'm not sure Grayskull was ever shown before) and Teela being the lead (and Teela's hairstyle...because according to some, a woman can't wear short hair for some reason). The series was rather vapid and didn't really make any profound social statements or anything.
    Last edited by Username taken; 07-29-2021 at 07:43 AM.

The bolded part is very strange and it's becoming a legitimate concern. You have people latch on and praise stuff because "other side" hates it. We saw it with WAP (an absolute garbage song) and with Battle Angel Alita (a passable movie).

Yeah, it is weird. You see it with stuff all the time. Stuff that isn't good gets praised just because certain crazy people hate it so much.

I don't know, internet "activism" is weird. I feel like it makes people feel like they are doing something with no sacrifice basically. They bare minimum and they feel good about themselves.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Seriously, people should watch they like and ignore what they don't. I can understand people not liking show but I will always condemn the reactionaries online. I don't like the argument of "I don't like this thing, so it shouldn't exist", it completely rubs me the wrong whether I agree with the media or not. This isn't a conservative or liberal thing, I just don't like that argument (i still remember the Spider-Woman variant cover controversy and how the liberal woke warriors wanted it gone...I was fiercely against that because getting rid of that cover doesn't really achieve anything except muzzle an artist that's known for erotic art).

I actually liked the Masters of the Universe show but there's some stuff I legit didn't like (i wanted more He-man and a more consistent tone). But this wasn't a woke series, like..at all. There was no subtext, no preachiness, no overt statements...absolutely nothing. The only thing close to being poltical is the race swap of the original champion (I'm not sure Grayskull was ever shown before) and Teela being the lead (and Teela's hairstyle...because according to some, a woman can't wear short hair for some reason). The series was rather vapid and didn't really make any profound social statements or anything.
    Last year it was Ghost of Tsushima vs The Last of us 2. I don't have a playstation, and honestly, I don't want one either, but it was really strange to see. It's action faking, a lethal form of procrastination, tweeting and blogging, always trying to "start a conversation" that doesn't lead anywhere because the internet hates nuance. Life is complicated, humans are multifaceted, but the internet loves black and white, easy solutions to complex problems.

Last year it was Ghost of Tsushima vs The Last of us 2. I don't have a playstation, and honestly, I don't want one either, but it was really strange to see. It's action faking, a lethal form of procrastination, tweeting and blogging, always trying to "start a conversation" that doesn't lead anywhere because the internet hates nuance. Life is complicated, humans are multifaceted, but the internet loves black and white, easy solutions to complex problems.
    they are still melting down about TLOU2

People how way too much time on their hands.

BANNED

I mean, MOTU has always been a pretty vapid franchise, from inception its only purpose was to cobble together as many marketable concepts as possible in order to sell toys, trying to incorporate any meaningful message into the story is always going to feel tacked on. The series is really popular more for its iconography and the chord it strikes with kids' imaginations than any of the actual content they made for it. Oh sure, everyone loves the character designs and theme song and the "by the power of Grayskull!" bit, but the cartoon itself has pretty much always been cheesy and borderline unwatchable.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    they are still melting down about TLOU2

People how way too much time on their hands.
    ……I realize I’m in a sense proving your point for you, buuuuuut……

……..I’m still glad someone leaked spoilers for that game. Cause otherwise I may have bought and played it only to end up stuck playing, “let’s all feel sorry for the golf club-wielding, power lifting, rat excrement-filled vehicle of so-called empowerment whose act of literal spoilers:
    character assassination
    end of spoilers should’ve earned her the sight of her own bowels being repurposed into Christmas lighting!”…………<sigh> Okay, I’m d- AND THEY spoilers:
    LET HER RIDE OFF INTO THE SUNSET!
    end of spoilers THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS! NEVER FORGET! NEVER FUCKING FORGET! AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!………..Alright. Now it’s out of my system.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 07-29-2021 at 10:01 AM.

Ultimate Member

Agreed.

A lot of these issues are complicated but EVERYTHING is turned into a political discussion. Once it gets like that, common sense gets thrown out the window and it becomes us versus them. Its exhausting to watch.

Like the new Star Wars movies, I don’t like the new movies but the entire discussion around them has collapsed under the weight of politics. Seriously, it’s almost impossible to discuss those movies anymore on most Internet forums.

Life is complicated, not everything is liberal vs conservative. Not everything is about the culture war.

And people are still freaking out over TLOU 2, there’s a massive controversy on Reddit about some guy faked his own death threats to attack a creator on YouTube that liked the game. Like I said in the tv/film forum, I think some folks on the Internet need help. I’m not even joking, sh!t like “incel culture” is blowing up.