Page 227 of 826 FirstFirst ... 127177217223224225226227228229230231237277327727 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,405 of 12383

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I don't even like the character, I just find it wild someone can undo what Ewing did in literally 3 panels lol
    It might have been Ewing. Isn't he one of the writer on this?
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    It might have been Ewing. Isn't he one of the writer on this?
    Well ****, you are right lol.

I wonder if they are depowering her to use her more often. Possible future MCU ramifications.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Netflix Picks Up Its First Animated Series From Africa, ‘Mama K’s Team 4’

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/net...sh-1203189786/
    Vaguely recall hearing about this some time ago. Looking forward to seeing how it'll turn out and watching it some day.

People often said Monica's lack of usage was her supposedly being too powerful to have consistently in a team book (which seems suspect, but whatever). So now I guess we see if those folks put up or shut up.

Invincible Member

It was editorial and personality clashes that really sidelined Monica.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    People often said Monica's lack of usage was her supposedly being too powerful to have consistently in a team book (which seems suspect, but whatever). So now I guess we see if those folks put up or shut up.
    You already know that answer lol

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

Its the "Superman/Martian Manhunter" problem where you have one character that could fix everything but doesn't for some reason. And it's more
    of a problem for Marvel characters than DC because DC has all those evil versions of their heroes to use.

For every Superman there a Zod. For every Martian Manhunter there's a M'alfakk.

It doesn't help any that most of Marvel's better bad guys are high mid tier. Sure there's Thanos but Marvel's beat Thanos to death to the point where he's
    not even a draw for comics fans anymore.

Extraordinary Member

That's what I heard. She's been in and out of limbo since since Roger Stern (her co-creator) stopped writing the Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It was editorial and personality clashes that really sidelined Monica.
    I also heard that some writers did not want to use her out of respect for Stern, but that makes no sense.

Extraordinary Member

Monica was team leader when I first started buying comics with my allowance money, lol. Before that, I was reading old books from my uncle's collection.

The first Avengers story I was able to buy on my own was the "Assault on Olympus" arc. I typically found Storm boring during that time. Seeing Monica lead the team (featuring Thor, Cap, Namor, & She-Hulk), and defeat some of the Greek gods was exhilarating.

Then, Monica got the boot once Walt Simonson took over, and was never quite the same since. The son of Mar-Vell, Genis, stole her name.....twice!

It was not until later that I learned that part of Monica's initial derailment came from static between Roger Stern & Mark Gruenwald (RIP).

I typically hold a soft spot for Mark, but he was totally wrong for wanting to make Monica look less effective in order to make Cap look good. I understand why Roger did not want to do that (he felt such a move could be seen as both racist and sexist), so he left the book.

I tend to think Roger leaving the book was the beginning of a lot of bad stories that plagued the Avengers books until Kurt Busiek & George Perez took over in the late 1990's. Before that, the Avengers had an awesome string of great stories & writers with very few hiccups dating back to the 1960's, imo.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Monica was team leader when I first started buying comics with my allowance money, lol. Before that, I was reading old books from my uncle's collection.

The first Avengers story I was able to buy on my own was the "Assault on Olympus" arc. I typically found Storm boring during that time. Seeing Monica lead the team (featuring Thor, Cap, Namor, & She-Hulk), and defeat some of the Greek gods was exhilarating.

Then, Monica got the boot once Walt Simonson took over, and was never quite the same since. The son of Mar-Vell, Genis, stole her name.....twice!

It was not until later that I learned that part of Monica's initial derailment came from static between Roger Stern & Mark Gruenwald (RIP).

I typically hold a soft spot for Mark, but he was totally wrong for wanting to make Monica look less effective in order to make Cap look good. I understand why Roger did not want to do that (he felt such a move could be seen as both racist and sexist), so he left the book.

I tend to think Roger leaving the book was the beginning of a lot of bad stories that plagued the Avengers books until Kurt Busiek & George Perez took over in the late 1990's. Before that, the Avengers had an awesome string of great stories & writers with very few hiccups dating back to the 1960's, imo.
    I heard that story, but the version I heard blamed Jim Shooter for the edict.

I could be wrong, that was a way while ago I remember reading that.

I used to be a comic reader first, now I'm a collector first which means now I circulate out a lot of older stuff for fewer, even older stuff. Monica was on some GREAT covers back in the day when I was a yout as leader of The Avengers. Sounds crazy now but she got a decent push during a time when there wasn't no regular Black Panther stories in the 80s which meant there wasn't any black capes working outside of Mohawk Ororo. Those old Monica lead Avengers are part of a short box I still haven't parted with that I read the **** out of back in grade school.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Astonishing Member

You already know that answer lol
    Lol exactly, we have guardians of the galaxy, the thors, hulks, all the other hyper powered characters of the universe, but somehow Monica is too powerful *facepalms*

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Lol exactly, we have guardians of the galaxy, the thors, hulks, all the other hyper powered characters of the universe, but somehow Monica is too powerful *facepalms*
    Current avengers team has a hulk, Thor, and Carol lol

Astonishing Member

Current avengers team has a hulk, Thor, and Carol lol
    Exactly! It's so annoying how POC's get stuck in mid tier land, especially black characters. There was Amadeus Cho before he got depowered into braun, yet they have a freakin new character that has both hulk and wolverine powers combine. But of course he's white so he's allowed to have both....

I also heard that some writers did not want to use her out of respect for Stern, but that makes no sense.
    I think it's more that they felt they couldn't do her justice since she was Stern's baby and he wrote her best.