Page 229 of 827 FirstFirst ... 129179219225226227228229230231232233239279329729 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,435 of 12396

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    It was Mark. Couldn't have been Jim, since he'd just recently been fired, and wasn't making any edicts any more.

Mark wanted to boost sales on Captain America (which he wrote) by having him in a bigger spotlight as leader of the Avengers (which he edited).

He was both smart and a nice guy, but it was an absolute conflict of interest that shouldn't have happened.

kdb
    Whoa. Wait. Is this the Kurt Busiek?

Smile Thank you Mr. Busiek!

It was Mark. Couldn't have been Jim, since he'd just recently been fired, and wasn't making any edicts any more.

Mark wanted to boost sales on Captain America (which he wrote) by having him in a bigger spotlight as leader of the Avengers (which he edited).

He was both smart and a nice guy, but it was an absolute conflict of interest that shouldn't have happened.

kdb
    Thank you Kurt Busiek !

Information from people in a position of first hand experience is always welcome here!

As an aside, I love your series Astro City!
    Jack-in-the-Box in particular was a pleasure! I still smile at Brass Monkey's casual "Are you sick or something? You know I'm stronger than you." It deftly emphasized his menace despite his small size and Jack's protege's lack of experience or just good sense.

Also Samaritan's day. Also the Furst Family. Also ...

Excelsior!

Daoud

Quote Originally Posted by RoxanneBluePots View Post
    I really don't get the "overpowered" argument against Monica Rambeau when no one seemed to really complain about Jean Grey being a god-tier mutant who never solved everyone's problems and battles with her Phoenix Force boosted power-set.

I honestly think it's as simple as Marvel's editorial group and writing staff plain disliking the character to the point of apathy and that's it. It's clear there's an aggressively distinct angle of misogynoir to the character's circumstance because how else would explain Marvel doing everything in their power to make sure people forget her stint as Captain Marvel (including excluding her from CM timelines), or not even allowing her to be a "omega"-type superhero? Even with Storm's popularity, the same thing keeps happening to her as well.

I kinda wish someone would just buy the character from Marvel and put her to better use somewhere.
    I've seen people complain about Jean being too powerful. It's one of the reasons she stayed dead for so long.

A new trailer for Ava DuVernay's When They See Us, a Netflix original series about the Central Park 5.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

kdb

I remember this story because its been detailed for a long , long time in comics history that Gruenwald did that. That was why I blamed editorial basically running Avengers. Perhaps Gruewald felt Simonson and later Byrne would have long runs on the title to make it ok. He maybe didn't realize both guys would just take off from the title after so long.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Formerly Ballard Blues RoxanneBluePots's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I've seen people complain about Jean being too powerful. It's one of the reasons she stayed dead for so long.
    I would've figured it was because they were trying to boost Emma Frost's status post-New X-Men that Jean stayed M.I.A. for so long, but that makes sense. Opinion on Jean Grey's OPness seems divided enough that there's a debate? Every discussion I see about Monica online (old and recent), there's an almost unanimous agreement that her strength is detrimental to any story she appears in.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    The Chinese population are pretty cool with LGBTTIQQ2SA(Dagnabbit that's just too damned long), especially the younger generation but the PROC is very much on the fence about it so NO is their knee-jerk answer to any such situation involving LGBTTIQQ2SA... Seriously they gotta figure out something more succinct. Brevity is something to shoot for. Easy to put on a placard, easy to shout...
    This is why even though I personally don't feel any kinship with the word "queer" I think people should just say queer instead of some long, unwieldy and ever-growing acronym.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I honestly don't know why Hulkverine has stuck around this long. He just seemed like a bad idea from the start.
    That's a real thing...? Shits foolish these days.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    That's a real thing...? Shits foolish these days.
    I thought this was a gag of some sort or one-off character. Wiki tends to have a grain of truth to it so:

The Weapon X Project's experiments gave Clayton a Hulk/Wolverine-like appearance with the abilities of Hulk, Wolverine, Domino, Lady Deathstrike, Sabretooth, and Warpath like super-strength, super-speed, invulnerability, retractable bone claws, a healing factor, enhanced senses, and a probability field generation.

But MONICA was overpowered???

I give up. lol Well I gave up around the 2000s, seeing nothing to say I was wrong. Good gravy.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yet folks still used her way more than Monica and even her younger version got a comic book series.

We have seen Jean married, have a kid & be central to storylines and events.

Meanwhile Monica and most of the folks I listed have been buried or screwed over or seen excuses for what they should or should not do.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

I might read an Avenger's comic again if they ever get around to undoing the damage Bendis did to Count Nefaria. It's going on ten years, and I'm STILL holding a grudge. How did we go from 'the Nefaria protocols' to some greasy loser who couldn't take Carol Danvers and Wolverine in a fight? I'm bitter. I love the classic villains.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoxanneBluePots View Post
    I would've figured it was because they were trying to boost Emma Frost's status post-New X-Men that Jean stayed M.I.A. for so long, but that makes sense. Opinion on Jean Grey's OPness seems divided enough that there's a debate? Every discussion I see about Monica online (old and recent), there's an almost unanimous agreement that her strength is detrimental to any story she appears in.
    Hero power-ups never last. Spider-man, T'challa, Nate Grey, Cable, Gambit, Rogue, etc. They might get a symbiote, or 'the other', or become the king of the dead, or get full access to their powers without dying, but that stuff may as well be the starman icon in Mario bros. Only the villains get to keep the upgrades.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    I might read an Avenger's comic again if they ever get around to undoing the damage Bendis did to Count Nefaria. It's going on ten years, and I'm STILL holding a grudge. How did we go from 'the Nefaria protocols' to some greasy loser who couldn't take Carol Danvers and Wolverine in a fight? I'm bitter. I love the classic villains.
    Did you see his appearance in Superior Octopus #1?

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Whoa. Wait. Is this the Kurt Busiek?
    Last I checked...

Quote Originally Posted by Daoud View Post
    Thank you Kurt Busiek !

Information from people in a position of first hand experience is always welcome here!

As an aside, I love your series Astro City!
    Jack-in-the-Box in particular was a pleasure! I still smile at Brass Monkey's casual "Are you sick or something? You know I'm stronger than you." It deftly emphasized his menace despite his small size and Jack's protege's lack of experience or just good sense.

Also Samaritan's day. Also the Furst Family. Also ...
    Glad you liked it!

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I honestly don't know why Hulkverine has stuck around this long. He just seemed like a bad idea from the start.
    Because the actual character Clayton Cortez is pretty good and one of the more likable characters to read. In world where the big 2 push original concepts than safe concepts Hulkverine would be called something else and designed to be its own IP. But instead it is very good character trapped in a generic legacy character formula and on its own he is fine

"Elite soldier turned into a monster created by government labs fights remain normal and look out for his wife and two kids"

The story is simple it is just that happens the monster in question is Hulk/Wolverine Hybrid. And they character they created is actually better than people will give it

Last edited by Killerbee911; 04-21-2019 at 02:50 AM.