Page 46 of 824 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146546 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    That's exactly what I do. My wife doesn't give a **** about geek culture but she loves the MCU and eats up all the movies.

I think it must be pointed out that a lot of people that watch superhero movies have never, ever read a comic a book.

They aren't inside the culture like us, so they aren't tired of it all. What they react to is bad movies, superheroes or otherwise.
    And tend to be the main ones just HAPPY to see the film made. In fact they get shocked when you tell them about the toxic fandom.

I have met too many Aquaman fans who have never read his book or even KNOW he has one.

And help us all if Wicked & Divine ever hit the screen.

Ultimate Member

https://www.yourbasin.com/news/texas...oks/1464429037

LUBBOCK, Texas (KLBK) - The Texas Board of Education recently voted on a number of potential changes to be made to U.S. history and social studies curriculum.

As it currently stands, teachers will not be required to teach students about certain political and public figures, such as Hillary Clinton, who was the first female presidential candidate, as well as Helen Keller, who was deaf, blind and graduated from college and later became an activist.

"We feel that the state board of education has taken a wrong vote on this issue, especially because it's saying that teachers don't have to teach very important political figures such as Hilary Clinton and Helen Keller," said Clinton Gill with the Texas State Teachers Association. "These are women that have made a historical impact not only on the United States, but also on females that are growing up. So we feel that teachers should be required to teach them as a part of the history, just like they do for their male counterparts. It's very important for young ladies to have a role model that they can look up to and learn about them all throughout their high school, middle school and elementary schooling."

The board also made decisions to keep references of "Judeo-Christian" values, as well as to reinsert Moses as a Biblical figure of influence.
    Oh this is NOT the first time a person running for President was suggested to be REMOVED from books.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/burka-b...ies-textbooks/

Houston State Rep. Alma Allen went out today to local Democratic party leaders in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin. Allen is angry because the Republicans who control the State Board of Education (for now) do not have a standard of essential knowledge that requires students to know the name of the president of the United States.

Here is the text of the letter: Dear Fellow Texan, You turned out in record numbers in 2008 to cast your vote for change. But extremist Republicans on the State Board of Education want to undo your vote and make sure our children never hear the name Barack Obama by eliminating his name from our children’s textbooks. We only have until Wednesday to send public comments before the SBOE’s final approval of the politically charged textbooks that will be used in Texas classrooms for the next ten years. It is downright silly that a Texas public school student in 2019 could be taught that in 2008, America elected our first African American President but not be told his name.
    FYI while a President is in office-we are required to discuss him. Once he is out-all bets are OFF.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I'm not sure about the Kirby run, but Sersi had a thing for Makkari in Gaiman's mini-series. I'll be interested to see how they come back since Aaron killed them all.
    I imagine Aaron was told to wipe the board clean and then magically the ones that make it into the movie roster will be resurrected

And then magically all the Eternal fans (....) will complain about synergy.

Can't wait ot see who is race bent and the inevitable explosion lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I imagine Aaron was told to wipe the board clean and then magically the ones that make it into the movie roster will be resurrected

I'll have you know that there are dozens of us out there, DOZENS OF US!!

I could see Makkari and Sersi being racebent, Maybe Gilgamesh too. Thena will probably be the same, maybe Ikaros, they might change up Zuras, so people won't think of him as discount Zeus or ginger Odin.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I'll have you know that there are dozens of us out there, DOZENS OF US!!

I could see Makkari and Sersi being racebent, Maybe Gilgamesh too. Thena will probably be the same, maybe Ikaros, they might change up Zuras, so people won't think of him as discount Zeus or ginger Odin.
    I'm actually wondering if this might be one of the cases where complaining about racebending won't happen. The Eternals are pretty obscure even among comic fans so fans may not care. Same with how there was no complaining over the Ghost being a black woman in Ant-Man and the Wasp.

Ultimate Member

I recently just learned that the name "Trini" is of Spanish origin. Appropriate, given that in the unaired pilot of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Trini was played by a latina actress.

And here I actually thought her being played by Becky G in the 2017 movie was just a coincidence.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-23-2018 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Same with how there was no complaining over the Ghost being a black woman in Ant-Man and the Wasp.
    naw, the 4chan crowd lost their ****.

Although, tbf, they were more angry she was nothign like comic ghost.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

naw, the 4chan crowd lost their ****.

Although, tbf, they were more angry she was nothign like comic ghost.
    Huh, first I've heard of that one. Admittedly, I don't visit 4chan.

No one should.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Took me a minute to get the reference. Woooo, that ice cold burn. Sorry, Ono-san.

Although, maybe with him gone, Cammy, Chun Li, and the rest can lose some of that swelling. Guy had a thing for thicc art design. Maybe a fetish, really.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Gotdamn Tiger Woods won a tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    No one should.
    That is where the outrage generally starts. That crowd.

Whether it expands out of their or not depends on the size of the outrage lol.

Gotdamn Tiger Woods won a tournament.

That is where the outrage generally starts. That crowd.

Whether it expands out of their or not depends on the size of the outrage lol.
    Good for him. Guy could use a break.

Good for him. Guy could use a break.
    I always wonder how much of his fall was mental (dudes life exploded) or physical (his body exploded too)

Both things happened close to each other. Everyone at the time blamed the mental aspect because it was a much juicier story but dudes knees and back were falling apart

Why Do Racist Halloween Costumes Still Get a Pass?

Halloween is a season where a lot of people, namely white people, feel the need to dress up in incredibly offensive costumes, many of which are sold at popular Halloween retailers. And this isn’t just a handful of people; every year, articles on how to not engage with cultural appropriation are written because this is a problem that keeps on popping up without fail.
    And Yandy is a purveyor of costumes for those who wish to really dig into their privileged side. A quick pass through their website — something I admittedly should’ve done when I first wrote this piece — shows a variety of offensive costumes that definitely should not be sold, ranging from offensive “Tiger Lily” costumes to a wide array of geisha costumes (there’s also a sexy school girl section which isn’t appropriative but just plain gross).
    But as plenty of people on Twitter have pointed out, now that the sexy Handmaid’s costume is taken down, no one cares about the rest of the site. The costume that is offensive to white women is now gone, so that’s all that matters; the culturally appropriative costumes can stay because they’re only making light of something that does not directly affect white feminists. The fact that we accept racially insensitive costumes as the norm is deeply troubling, and something we need to stop letting slide.
    A quick Google search turned up a piece on sixteen offensive Halloween costumes from last year. The costumes range from the bad to the downright racist, and guess what? Yandy is the seller behind many of them. Why hasn’t this site been protested more? Why haven’t we seen more movements to get them to take down their offensive costumes? Is it because most of the costumes are just culturally appropriative, and therefore something that more people just accept at face value?

https://www.themarysue.com/cultural-...ween-costumes/