Page 473 of 827 FirstFirst ... 373423463469470471472473474475476477483523573 ... LastLast
Results 7,081 to 7,095 of 12392

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    If it makes you feel better, Archie dropped the ball with Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man too. They were both actually pretty good books, but they didn't care. Archie's Sonic was weird, but fun. Sonic went to IDW and Mega Man is at Boom now I think. I wish they'd just sell the Crusaders to IDW, they could use a cape book instead of just sitting on them. There was Afterlife with Archie, which was a good zombie book, but I think it only lasted one trade. Archie has a tendency to start books and never finish them, I hate that. Or announce books that never happen, Like "The Web" that was supposed to be their answer to Ms. Marvel. Or books that are needlessly convoluted like the female Shield.

Coates on Superman...arrgh. If they use Val-Zod or Calvin Ellis I won't know how to feel. Coates has a penchant for deconstruction, and well, "subverting machismo" by writing "hyper masculine" characters like Black Panther, Captain America, and now Superman. I just wish he'd stick to nonfiction.
    Well given the reaction to the previous movies, it's unlikely they'll let him go that route.

It looks like DC may have failed in appealing to the demographic Yara Flor is from.

Yara Flor and Brazilian representation in American comics by Guilherme Preusse.

The character may have been created to please the international market, but her current depiction in comics is not. She’s still very much aimed at the predominantly White public who have access to the comic book Direct Market. If that’s the case, does it even matter that she doesn’t speak in a way that’s convincing to me? Is the fact that she just exists and girls are going to be able to identify with her enough to make it worth it that her identity and ethnicity are only being played for cheap aesthetics? Is having an Indigenous Brazilian Wonder Woman worth it when she sounds exactly like every other White character out there? There is a disconnect between who this character is and who she should be, and it’s reflected in who she’s primarily aimed at.

When the first issue dropped people, namely People of Color, started realizing she sounded off, not even close to resembling the ethnicity the character should be conveying. The readers, Indigenous people specifically, started asking Jones if Yara really was supposed to be Indigenous. Her answer was that she was shocked that the character hadn’t resonated with them like she thought it would, especially considering the way she had been received at first and how she was being praised —by White people who had no idea what she should sound like anyway— and that they should wait for her origin to be revealed, where everything would be explained. If the character was so dependent on her origin, why didn’t it start there?
    https://comfortfoodcomics.com/2021/0...herme-preusse/

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I'm reading that Ta-Nehisi Coates is writing the Superman reboot.

This just might be the talkiest Superman movie ever.
    Word. Look, a lot of media personalities I listen too, all rock with the dude but we're talkin' about the capes here. I have nothing to go on other than his Black Panther. It hasn't finished but I couldn't stick with it. It was bland, it wasn't really 'Black Panther', nor very comic book in general and not just that it was kind of disrespectful so this is not a project off the cuff I'm looking too forward too nor will follow. Not to hot on Abrams either. Thing is, it's Superman. It approximately 10 years the character will have 100 years of stories behind him. FWIW, this isn't really a big leap of faith imo, I feel all the Kal-El stories to tell have been essentially done.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Those rumors from way back that Beyoncé was going to be Lois Lane could end up being a reality.
    That would be asking for the trolls, gaters and others to come out in full force to make that movie flop.

Coates on Superman...arrgh. If they use Val-Zod or Calvin Ellis I won't know how to feel. Coates has a penchant for deconstruction, and well, "subverting machismo" by writing "hyper masculine" characters like Black Panther, Captain America, and now Superman. I just wish he'd stick to nonfiction.
    Truth be TOLD......

I am more worried about what happens if this bombs (box office and review wise) what is the backlash going to be like.

Other than Fake Woke screaming at anyone that didn't see it or not like is a racist. Along with blaming Black Men for some reason. For not protecting Lois probably.

That is Superman.

How many doors for black writers getting gigs like this get SHUT? We got some burning bridges now trying to go after Johns.

What does mean for other black super hero movies (not named Miles Morales or Panther) (if Superman is black)?

What if that merchandise doesn't sell or move?

We saw what Steel & Catwoman did. We KNOW there are executives LOOKING for an excuse to exclude us.

But Into the Spider-verse and Black Panther were blockbusters, and it hasn't resulted in a deluge of black superhero movies, anyway. It's not like they leapt at the chance to make a Monica Rambeau movie. So, I would be all-in for a black Superman movie, risk of a flop be damned.

I mean, I seriously doubt they'll do it, but I would be all for it!
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That would be asking for the trolls, gaters and others to come out in full force to make that movie flop.

Truth be TOLD......

I am more worried about what happens if this bombs (box office and review wise) what is the backlash going to be like.

Other than Fake Woke screaming at anyone that didn't see it or not like is a racist. Along with blaming Black Men for some reason. For not protecting Lois probably.

That is Superman.

How many doors for black writers getting gigs like this get SHUT? We got some burning bridges now trying to go after Johns.

What does mean for other black super hero movies (not named Miles Morales or Panther) (if Superman is black)?

What if that merchandise doesn't sell or move?

We saw what Steel & Catwoman did. We KNOW there are executives LOOKING for an excuse to exclude us.
    I don't think we have to worry if the Black Suoerman movie bombs. Black actors, characters and directors have had too much success recently. Marvel Studios is reaching out to a diverse array of people behind the camera.

If the movie bombs, that's just on Coates and DC. Just another bomb in a long line.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Tssss. What's the John Amos line from Coming to America. "and baby, when I tell you he got his own money- I mean the BOY HAS GOT HIS OWN MONEY!" You right, he was it as far as merch. Damn, thas right, that was Rhodey in the suit. You know the toys hit before the comics did so in my defense the order is always, Black suit, Beyonder (SWII), the Toys then the rosters. I have 1 younger brother and he was kinda, into comics like a normal person, from ages 7 - 10 or 11 or so and then never again unless you count the times we go to see an MCU film here and there. Yup, I'd read his PMIF books when he put them down, those covers were mos def a draw to cats.

Silver Centurion, say less, I became a consumer a couple years into that look. I remember when Tony built the new shield for Cap and then they fell out behind Armor Wars, tuh, at the time that was deep! I didn't think they'd ever get back right. Stark's perm wasn't even excessive lol, that mug was tight, like a little curl. It wasn't til that less than stellar Force Works **** til his **** got wild shoulder length ridiculous and beyond.

Mr. T... shoutout to that brotha. Man he had a 2 and 1/2 seasons of a Saturday Morning cartoon show (thank you Tubi), a major role in Rocky III AND on his own TV show, he routinely beat the hell out of guys while wielding an and firing an M-16. Let's not let Grace Jones off the hook for an influence on Storms look btw. Gotta be.

Fam... just... remember the fkn RUSH of thoughts that blew your mind when you flipped though your first Handbook of the Marvel Universe. Them joints had specs lol. I KNEW IT WAS FICTION but... I can't deny the tiny kernels of doubt that, terrorists are gonna be out here making repulsors and web shooters right(?). Those were low level investiments too, I ain't talkin' about the ones from the 90's that were esentially large issues. The BOOKS, with the white covers and color coded spines. They wasn't cheap and back then neither, I was giving up about 5 or 6 issues just for this MANUAL, with no fkn stories at all! Are you mad son?

Good chopping it up but I also can't mis-represent myself over being hip to BP. Nah, all I knew was the LOOK. Didn't get hip to his home of Wakanda or even his real name or that he was a King, that came MUCH later. I knew he was Black but for all I knew he kicked the **** out of bank robbers in Chicago or someplace.

Perish the thought, one more POC would have thrown off ALL the metrics. Now all of a sudden you're stuck with a Black team book...
    Yeah, those PMIF covers were gold. I loved the short-lived Heroes for Hire written by Ostrander (but conceived by Roger Stern) during the late 1990's. Its crazy how Cage & Fist are just collecting dust now. Those two should be easy box office money.

You're right: Grace was big at that time. She was a Bond girl, after all. I try not to think to deep about Chris Claremont's Storm thingy.

Being broke, those handbooks were a slice of heaven. I loved the group covers of various characters marching. I loved those art panels. My imagination went wild while reading the text. No way I could get too many back issues due to price. I got a slew of issues in my closet. I still find it extraordinary that the onset of digital comics, I can read that stuff online as a grown man.

Well, It was the late 1980's. Michael Jackson, Michael Jordan, Eddie Murphy, Magic Johnson, Arsenio, Bobby Brown, the Cosby Show, A Different World, Mike Tyson, Prince, Public Enemy, Spike Lee, old school hip hop, Jesse Jackson making presidential runs, Geraldo getting his nose broke invited white supremacist on his show, and more were all household names despite the evil of Reagan/Bush, gangs, drugs, and other nonsense. The Avengers still had Cap & Thor, so I like to think two black folks in the line-up would work with Stern at the helm. The X-Men gold team with Storm & Bishop was just around the corner.

Plus....we talking pre-OJ here.

Extraordinary Member

TNC

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I don't think we have to worry if the Black Suoerman movie bombs. Black actors, characters and directors have had too much success recently. Marvel Studios is reaching out to a diverse array of people behind the camera.

If the movie bombs, that's just on Coates and DC. Just another bomb in a long line.
    This.

It's not like there's been a decent Superman movie in the last 20 years anyway.

DC managed to abort it's own Superman trilogy which might be a new and original way to fail at doing franchise movies.

We've all seen the first film that was so mediocre or bad nobody wants to make a sequel.

Only DC can make an first movie that vaguely succeeds and a second movie that destroys even the little goodwill that the first movie got, and destroys audience hype for the third.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    TNC

Yup.

The movie could be the best thing since Black Panther and I won't pay for it.

I refuse out of principle.

But superman and black characters will be fine no matter what happens to the movie.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Yup.

The movie could be the best thing since Black Panther and I won't pay for it.

I refuse out of principle.

But superman and black characters will be fine no matter what happens to the movie.
    We can only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    This.

It's not like there's been a decent Superman movie in the last 20 years anyway.

DC managed to abort it's own Superman trilogy which might be a new and original way to fail at doing franchise movies.

We've all seen the first film that was so mediocre or bad nobody wants to make a sequel.

Only DC can make an first movie that vaguely succeeds and a second movie that destroys even the little goodwill that the first movie got, and destroys audience hype for the third.
    I hope that New Gods does well.

I don't have any high hopes for any other upcoming DC movie. I have no idea what the overall end goal of their cinematic universe is(other than trying to make money).

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I hope that New Gods does well.
    New Gods is a big question mark for me, until we got some casting announcements. I do think its in good hands, though.

I don't have any high hopes for any other upcoming DC movie. I have no idea what the overall end goal of their cinematic universe is(other than trying to make money).
    I do, Black Adam and Shazam, since the Rock is heavily involved with both, both behind and in front of the camera. The Suicide Squad, that too, since its Gunn. Everything else though...

I don't think DC movies have an end goal per se, other than their movies will be self contained (Shazam 1-2 and Black Adam will tie into each other, Wonder Woman 1-3 will tie into each other, etc). My gut is that they're waiting to see how Snyder's Justice League will do before deciding, irregardless of what they say publicly, but beyond that, I just want an enjoyable film irregardless of connective tissue at this point.

First batman trailer looked solid, even if it seemed more like netflix daredevil lol.

WW2 was a slog. Dissapointed in that.

not sure what to think aout Gunn's SS. It should work but we will see. I don't like Gunn as much as a lot of people do.

pretty sure the DCEU is dead, it is jus tback to good ol fashion trilogies and such lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    New Gods is a big question mark for me, until we got some casting announcements. I do think its in good hands, though.

I do, Black Adam and Shazam, since the Rock is heavily involved with both, both behind and in front of the camera. The Suicide Squad, that too, since its Gunn. Everything else though...

I don't think DC movies have an end goal per se, other than their movies will be self contained (Shazam 1-2 and Black Adam will tie into each other, Wonder Woman 1-3 will tie into each other, etc). My gut is that they're waiting to see how Snyder's Justice League will do before deciding, irregardless of what they say publicly, but beyond that, I just want an enjoyable film irregardless of connective tissue at this point.
    If they do self contained movies then that's good too. They just need to make sure that their movies have some kind of direction, connected or not.

Are they going to build on Snyder's JL? That's gonna be a hard lift. They could say that this is Earth-2 JL(Justice Society) and it's a contained universe and build a new JL from scratch at some point.