Page 292 of 826 FirstFirst ... 192242282288289290291292293294295296302342392792 ... LastLast
Results 4,366 to 4,380 of 12382

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I hear you guys but i still fundamentally disagree. The whole idea that Africans are this nebulous mass of people that are indistinguishable rubs me the wrong way.
    Eh

Are British peeps like Tom Holland not allowed to act as a New York City teenager?

Is Lupita not allowed to play any Africans because she's half Mexican?

Is Chadwick not allowed to play a king of an African country because he is American?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Jaime Reyes is finally returning as one of The Batman Who Laughs’ pawns. At this point I’ll take it. One of the only relatively well known hispanic superheroes around and this is the best DC can do. He can’t hold a solo title but not many of the DC mainstays can either. At least put the kid on a team book.
    I think they should have put him on Justice League Odyssey.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I hear you guys but i still fundamentally disagree. The whole idea that Africans are this nebulous mass of people that are indistinguishable rubs me the wrong way.

The movie is about a Nigerian in the US and her experiences. It's about her being a Nigerian in a foreign land based on a work written by a Nigerian author. The character should be played by a Nigerian actor. This is one of those cases where the character's nationality is important to the character.

Lupita can play a role in this production but does not have to star in it IMHO. If it was a movie about say a Ghanian immigrant in the US and is played by someone like John Boyega, I would say the same thing.
    I think, employing this level of commitment to detail, would ultimately lead to the atomization of roles and in the long run would make it almost impossible to make movies. I broadly see your point, but this isn't a egregious as Emma Stone playing someone part Asian.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I think, employing this level of commitment to detail, would ultimately lead to the atomization of roles and in the long run would make it almost impossible to make movies. I broadly see your point, but this isn't a egregious as Emma Stone playing someone part Asian.
    Fair enough.

Fair enough.
    How involved is the author with the production? I think ultimately having her on hand to help guide her story is probably the most important.

That said, I think when doing an adaptation it's important not to have the author have too much input.

While this isn't a perfect comparison since its fiction vs. non-fiction, they had huge issues with author interference in the 50 Shades flicks.
    Pull List:

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    How involved is the author with the production? I think ultimately having her on hand to help guide her story is probably the most important.

That said, I think when doing an adaptation it's important not to have the author have too much input.

While this isn't a perfect comparison since its fiction vs. non-fiction, they had huge issues with author interference in the 50 Shades flicks.
    I honestly don't know how much involvement Chimamanda has in the production.

That 50 shades thing was all sorts of messed up.

Although, sometimes, the author's involvement is reasonable like J.K Rowling in Harry Potter i.e the J.K Rowling of 20 years ago and not the J.K Rowling of today.

New Warriors TV Show is dead

if anyone cared

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

if anyone cared
    Well, that's a shame. I was kind of interested in how it would be done.

Eh

Are British peeps like Tom Holland not allowed to act as a New York City teenager?

Is Lupita not allowed to play any Africans because she's half Mexican?

Is Chadwick not allowed to play a king of an African country because he is American?
    She's was born in Mexico, but both her parents are African.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    You're right it's not necessarily an either or thing, but for many fans it is. I mean I think most of the people in this thread are unique from the larger comics community...most of us are willing to put our money where our mouths are when it comes to what we will or won't support. Some other fans though, get outright resentful if Marvel tries to put out something new. On the other hand I've had conversations with people where they said, "I wish there was a comic that was X." And I'd say, "Such and such is publishing something like that." And they replied, "I want Marvel to do it, I don't care about other publishers." And it's like, do you want X because you enjoy X, or do you just want Marvel ( or whoever) to get credit for X? Thing is, it shouldn't matter...people can buy whatever they want to buy for whatever reason they want. But the industry is so small and the choices we have are limited, the Big 2 have no problem getting conservative with what kind of books they put out and retreat to what was successful in the past, whether it works today or not. I don't want them going, "Well, that diversity trend is over. We'll just go back to putting Wolverine in everything now." Thinking about it, things probably won't regress that far, but still...
    But what you're referring to isn't exclusive to comic book fans. To rewind to between 5-10 years ago.

iPhone User: I wish there was a phone that had a large screen, my hands are too big for this tiny thing.
    Android User: Oh there's the Note series, it has the biggest screen you can get (at that time.)
    iPhone User: I'm talking about Apple iPhone, I don't care about Android phones.

Yes, the iPhone User wants a bigger phone, and that's possibly the main factor that he's looking for, but that isn't the only thing driving his purchase. It could be how believes Iphones are more secure, or simpler, or has better apps, or what have you, but essentially there looking for something within that franchise that has a feature they're looking for. So when they say they want Marvel to do it, that most likely means there are additional criteria they are looking for besides just the main feature they're talking about.

And Marvel definitely won't regress to that degree, they essentially can't due to the demographic currently of America. DC tried that with rebirth and they're getting wrecked in terms of sales. The only thing literally saving them is Batman. The purchasing power and thirst for diversity is too great in America for Marvel to make the same rookie mistake DC did. I still say comics in general only have at most 5 years in them though, well 5 years in their current state.

Astonishing Member

if anyone cared
    Wow, that tells you how much I cared about it, I thought it was being made as a movie LOL. Though it's not surprising at all, I expected this to happen once I heard of the Disney, Fox merger.

I personally wasn't interested in the comedy/parody version of New Warriors they were going with, which was really just Great Lakes Avengers with a couple Warriors characters in there. Hopefully if/when they revisit the idea of New Warriors it will feature the original team.

I personally see the New Warriors as Marvel's Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I personally see the New Warriors as Marvel's Teen Titans.
    That's pretty much what they were...minus the sidekick angle of the original Teen Titans.

Ironheart's cancelled