Page 540 of 827 FirstFirst ... 40440490530536537538539540541542543544550590640 ... LastLast
Results 8,086 to 8,100 of 12391

John Oliver discusses black hair and discrimination just because of having black hair.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    It's possible to be ok with this and support those other characters
    The issue is they WON'T do anything with the 3 black Superman that they have.

Which is the gripe everyone is having. Showing all of them and the Clark Kent in name only allows you to show a variety.

I'd rather see the actual racism going on today exposed and confronted. Although I think it helps to point out how past racism continues to affect PoC today as well. It definitely just didn't disappear, but evolved into new forms. If some people can't handle that, that's too bad for them.
    We are not at that stage yet. Because to show that and I mean REALLY show that-you have to be willing to make EVERYONE uncomfortable.
    Because some of those folks who can't handle look me and others on this board. Because the mirror is going to be in their face when dealing with racism.

Coates Black Panther run says HI. You have an issue with black excellence and put in stuff certain folks EXPECT to see in Africa? I watch Nollywood-I have yet to see rape camps, fun happy kid soldiers or abused women.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Which is the gripe everyone is having. Showing all of them and the Clark Kent in name only allows you to show a variety.

We are not at that stage yet. Because to show that and I mean REALLY show that-you have to be willing to make EVERYONE uncomfortable.
    Because some of those folks who can't handle look me and others on this board. Because the mirror is going to be in their face when dealing with racism.

Coates Black Panther run says HI. You have an issue with black excellence and put in stuff certain folks EXPECT to see in Africa? I watch Nollywood-I have yet to see rape camps, fun happy kid soldiers or abused women.
    I watch Nollywood too. I don't see child soldiers or rape camps but I do see abused women and children.

Ultimate Member

Ok. I agree about DC needing to promote PoC heroes from the comics. They need to do a better job adapting them to movies.

I'm not quite following you. I don't really watch Nollywood so I can't attest to it. My point is racism is still a problem with centuries of history, and a lot of people, mainly White people, seem to act like it's over and done with, when it clearly isn't, and I think media should continue to show how it affects PoC. Same with other prejudices against other groups

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Regina King is directing a Bitter Root adaptation
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Now that, I'd be interested in seeing.

Ultimate Member

Ok.. now Gal Gadot has chosen to speak up about Joss Whedon’s behavior.

Why didn’t she speak out for the DURING THE MONTHS that Ray Fisher got his ass dragged. Seriously, that young man was made to a look a fool when most of what he said has turned out to be true. I guess these celebrities only speak out when it’s convenient for them to do so and not necessarily when it’s the right thing to do.

Gadot is a much bigger star than Fisher and her words would have carried a lot more weight than his. It’s really frustrating that all this is coming out AFTER the release of the Snyder cut and AFTER all of Joss Whedon’s rubbish has been made public. As an aside, that Whedon guy is such an utter a complete piece of trash that I’m surprised it took this long for people to speak out against him.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Why didn’t she speak out for the DURING THE MONTHS that Ray Fisher got his ass dragged. Seriously, that young man was made to a look a fool when most of what he said has turned out to be true. I guess these celebrities only speak out when it’s convenient for them to do so and not necessarily when it’s the right thing to do.

Gadot is a much bigger star than Fisher and her words would have carried a lot more weight than his. It’s really frustrating that all this is coming out AFTER the release of the Snyder cut and AFTER all of Joss Whedon’s rubbish has been made public. As an aside, that Whedon guy is such an utter a complete piece of trash that I’m surprised it took this long for people to speak out against him.
    To quote Grand Designs, "So much poison in power, the principles get left out, so much mind on the matter, the spirit gets forgotten about."

Whedon was a powerful man who made powerful people a lot of money, that and he put on this persona of being a male feminist ally, so it would have been hard to believe that Whedon did all that dirt, all of those things would have protected him. I didn't like the way he treated black characters on Buffy, and I heard about the way he treated Charisma Carpenter years ago.

Maybe Gal didn't want to put herself out there like that. I'm not saying it's right, but one never knows what they'll do in a situation until they're actually in it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    To quote Grand Designs, "So much poison in power, the principles get left out, so much mind on the matter, the spirit gets forgotten about."

Whedon was a powerful man who made powerful people a lot of money, that and he put on this persona of being a male feminist ally, so it would have been hard to believe that Whedon did all that dirt, all of those things would have protected him. I didn't like the way he treated black characters on Buffy, and I heard about the way he treated Charisma Carpenter years ago.

Maybe Gal didn't want to put herself out there like that. I'm not saying it's right, but one never knows what they'll do in a situation until they're actually in it.
    I guess so.

But after the whole Weinstein saga, I though that Hollywood had woken up to issues of abuse.

I guess so.

But after the whole Weinstein saga, I though that Hollywood had woken up to issues of abuse.
    Hollywood is not monolithic. Many people in Hollywood have woken up, but not everyone.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Ok.. now Gal Gadot has chosen to speak up about Joss WhedonÂ’s behavior.

Why didnÂ’t she speak out for the DURING THE MONTHS that Ray Fisher got his ass dragged. Seriously, that young man was made to a look a fool when most of what he said has turned out to be true. I guess these celebrities only speak out when itÂ’s convenient for them to do so and not necessarily when itÂ’s the right thing to do.

Gadot is a much bigger star than Fisher and her words would have carried a lot more weight than his. ItÂ’s really frustrating that all this is coming out AFTER the release of the Snyder cut and AFTER all of Joss WhedonÂ’s rubbish has been made public. As an aside, that Whedon guy is such an utter a complete piece of trash that IÂ’m surprised it took this long for people to speak out against him.
    At the time and in the moment Fisher had more conviction than actual Hollyweird experience at the time. People wasn't ready for that. So all of this is because it came from Ray Fisher. 1- A Black actor who should be aware... that, he's making it hot for the rest of the cast not named Afleck to even say word #1.

2- It's a societal structure that also effects Men, as in they shouldn't need anybody to back-up his perceptions of real (mos definitely) or imagined grievances. He's a dude, even if he is Black, perception goes he'll bounce back, even if it takes him 20 years and there's always Tyler Perry (like we've said here more than once). These are the unfortunate outcomes of speaking out in a place that does nothing but paint perceptions under the guise of art. Same reason (well... 1 of the reasons, one would hope, so this might be a bad parallel) Terry Crews didn't break that producer who grabbed his junk at a party.

Gal Gadot wasn't ready to push it. Let's be real, Gadot is a 'star' because of her role as Wonder Woman but she's a marginal actress and talent and at the time had 1 less major Wonder Woman project under the belt. Hollywood seems to run a lot like the street. Nobody wants to be labeled a snitch or in the movie game, it's more 'he/she is difficult to work with' which can and will cost talent money. Unless you're big enough, like Ellen right? Then it's all good til the public gets wind of it and make a beef on the socials. Or unless you're worse and level-up to a really big name or studio head committing a crime.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

I guess so.

And what.. weinstein was the only one who actually got in trouble? im sure there were a coupel that "lost there job" aka just moved to a new position when no one was looking.

Hollywood didn't wake up to **** lol. If anything, it just taught all those actors/actresses that speaking up will net them nothign in the end.

But TLDR.... no one else spoke up because of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

No one wanted to sacrifice their bread for Ray.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

Whatever threats he made against her at the time, it looks like she had quickly gotten assurances that Warner's had her back. So she likely didn't feel the need to blow everything up.

Also as Surf noted, she had a LOT less juice back then. She's speaking out now because she has 2 Wonder Woman movies under her belt with a third film in development.

Reprisal likely isn't something she is worrying about at this point.

But back then? They had killed off her character in the Fast and Furious movies and even when she was there she generally had less to do in those films than whatever random lady the gang is rescuing that film. Her DCCU less prospects were bad to non-existent is my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Whatever threats he made against her at the time, it looks like she had quickly gotten assurances that Warner's had her back. So she likely didn't feel the need to blow everything up.

Also as Surf noted, she had a LOT less juice back then. She's speaking out now because she has 2 Wonder Woman movies under her belt with a third film in development.

Reprisal likely isn't something she is worrying about at this point.

But back then? They had killed off her character in the Fast and Furious movies and even when she was there she generally had less to do in those films than whatever random lady the gang is rescuing that film. Her DCCU less prospects were bad to non-existent is my point.
    I think Gal once said in an interview that getting the role of Wonder Woman was the only thing that kept her from quitting acting all together. Whedon also wrote a really gross Wonder Woman script, so he probably relished at prospect of objectifying her in Justice League.

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Now that, I'd be interested in seeing.
    Is the comic good?

Started reading Invincible after watching the cartoon. Dang, cartoon added a lot of diversity to the cast lol.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html