Page 542 of 827 FirstFirst ... 42442492532538539540541542543544545546552592642 ... LastLast
Results 8,116 to 8,130 of 12392

THR Talks: Barry Jenkins and Nikole Hannah-Jones on the Nuances of Storytelling and Trauma

HANNAH-JONES I don’t know if you saw this TikTok video that went viral a couple of weeks ago of this young man who said, “No more slavery movies. I don’t want to ever see another slavery movie again. I want to see Black wizards.” When I first saw it, I was like, “How disrespectful of our stories,” when I know how poorly we’re taught about this.

But when I thought more about it, what I really think this young man was saying was, he’s tired of seeing movies where we have no agency, right? It’s always about what white people have done to us and us absorbing what white people are doing to us and us having no control. Even in Harriet, she’s mystical. When we’re fighting back in the movie, it’s because she’s having spells — it’s not her own agency and wit and intellect that’s liberating her and other people. You are very intentionally trying to show that agency. So when people say we’ve had enough slavery movies, where do you think that is coming from?

JENKINS I think it is coming from very constrained versions or depictions that we’ve received. I wanted to make this a television show because the hard images, the brutality, is so loud. If you house that in a two-hour film, those things are going to overwhelm the viewer. With 10 hours, 10 episodes, you have the ability to compound those hard images with soft images, to give another perspective and to build agency into these moments.

I didn’t see that TikTok video. But when our trailer released, oh my God, Twitter gathered me the hell up. “Why is Barry Jenkins profiting off our pain?” The one that got my attention was someone said, “Oh, I don’t want to see any more shows about slaves; I want positive imagery.” If you unpack that sentence, it’s saying that anything that involves my ancestors is inherently negative. That’s where I draw the line. That’s where I think this idea of erasure comes into play. I wanted to understand the comment, but I also wanted to go, “No.” I also realize people were making these comments without having seen the show, but I thought, in some ways our ancestors were wizards — not like Harry Potter. If you do the research and understand what this was, you and I even having this conversation is impossible. Even in making the show, I hope people will understand that this is just us recontextualizing our ancestors — because they’ve been contextualized.

HANNAH–JONES We have not long been in control of the narrative around slavery and telling the stories. There’s a reason there are hardly any films about slave rebellions, right? There’s a reason we get taught about the French Revolution and not the Haitian Revolution. So many Black people feel demeaned and degraded by the history of slavery, of Jim Crow. But I think they feel that way because they’re taught that we just took it. That we didn’t exercise agency in ways big and small. And there’s so little of our, like, we had joy, we had love. Despite everything that was being done to us, we were fully human, but you rarely see that rendered onscreen.

Let me ask you — can you tell Black stories and somehow pretend that race and racism in America didn’t exist?

JENKINS I think you can, but the story has got to be inside, inside, inside. That’s what I love about making movies. Anything’s possible. You can [tell those stories]. But I think we have to acknowledge that this is in the foundation of the American DNA.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...es-1234950961/

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Male action stars have repeatedly talked about the health issues their workout regimens have caused or could potentially cause. I don't blame Pattinson for not wanting to put his body through that and it isn't like previous live action Batmen look exactly the comics anyway. WhateverHodge is doing, I just hope it doesn't get him killed.
    Amateur gym bros do a lot more unregulated chinese shipped drugs and they are fine. and they do it much longer.

The "health issues" is hollywood marketing. "oh i almost killed myself working over for 4 months!" type crap. Well, half of them fall prey to shitty hollywood personal traininers... but at least their drugs are pharmaceutical and their food is perfect. Not frozen chicken breasts and chinese Tren. And their stress levels are low... not some gym bro workin at Publix to pay rent and never gets his bloodwork done.

Hell, Hemsworth JUST figured out he didn't need to work out quite so often (i think he dropped to 4x a week instead of 6-7)... only took him like 6 movies lol.

Patterson is just a wimp. Dude is so skinny he could put on 10lbs of muscle nad look big with hollywood lighting.

Hodge will be 100% fine... dude's muscle bellys are unreal. Genetics are on his side there.

The damaging thing is yo-yoing so violently like Bale as been known to do.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Amateur gym bros do a lot more unregulated chinese shipped drugs and they are fine. and they do it much longer.

The "health issues" is hollywood marketing. "oh i almost killed myself working over for 4 months!" type crap. Well, half of them fall prey to shitty hollywood personal traininers... but at least their drugs are pharmaceutical and their food is perfect. Not frozen chicken breasts and chinese Tren. And their stress levels are low... not some gym bro workin at Publix to pay rent and never gets his bloodwork done.

Hell, Hemsworth JUST figured out he didn't need to work out quite so often (i think he dropped to 4x a week instead of 6-7)... only took him like 6 movies lol.

Patterson is just a wimp. Dude is so skinny he could put on 10lbs of muscle nad look big with hollywood lighting.

Hodge will be 100% fine... dude's muscle bellys are unreal. Genetics are on his side there.

What's your obsession with the word "wimp"?

Male action stars have repeatedly talked about the health issues their workout regimens have caused or could potentially cause. I don't blame Pattinson for not wanting to put his body through that and it isn't like previous live action Batmen look exactly the comics anyway. WhateverHodge is doing, I just hope it doesn't get him killed.

Also, while I'm indifferent to the race lift, I'd have preferred Hodge as Mr Terrific.
    Exactly. Fans aren't entitled to see all these actors go through these transformations

I'm not familiar with Hodge so Idk how well he'll do any role

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    What's your obsession with the word "wimp"?
    If you don't like it, put me on the ignore list.

I'm on too much thin ice moderation wise to get into these types of discussions lol[/quote]

Exactly. Fans aren't entitled to see all these actors go through these transformations
    It really isn't that big of a deal. Y'all are falling on hollywood marketing.

The only thing mildly dangerous is people like Bale going from extreme to extreme on a whim.

Putting on 20lbs of muscle in a few months is not dangerous in any shape way or form. Even if you use every drug under the sun to do it, it still wouldn't be that dangerous if you came off immediately. Even if you trained yourself to death, the worst you'd get in a few months is joint pain.

These actors doing wire stunts is more dangerous than anything they could do in a few months lifting weights. Hemsworth hurt himself more wearing that fatsuit in Endgame than he did training for the MCU.

Most these guys aren't even that big... it is just enough muscle and definitino to look good for hollywood cameras and lighting for a couple scenes.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

I seriously doubt it's Hollywood marketing. One of the reasons Chris Evans is more interested in directing is because of the toll the ridiculous standards for the MCU movies have taken on his body. All Patterson said was that he wasn't going to work out all the time (not unlike what Hemsworth is doing) and being actor comes with its own amount of stress.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 05-15-2021 at 06:45 AM.

Ultimate Member

If you don't like it, put me on the ignore list.

I'm on too much thin ice moderation wise to get into these types of discussions lol
    Sorry if came off as argumentative. I just don't really get the point of calling someone a wimp.

It really isn't that big of a deal. Y'all are falling on hollywood marketing.

The only thing mildly dangerous is people like Bale going from extreme to extreme on a whim.

Putting on 20lbs of muscle in a few months is not dangerous in any shape way or form. Even if you use every drug under the sun to do it, it still wouldn't be that dangerous if you came off immediately. Even if you trained yourself to death, the worst you'd get in a few months is joint pain.

These actors doing wire stunts is more dangerous than anything they could do in a few months lifting weights. Hemsworth hurt himself more wearing that fatsuit in Endgame than he did training for the MCU.

Most these guys aren't even that big... it is just enough muscle and definitino to look good for hollywood cameras and lighting for a couple scenes.
    As people have pointed out, it's more than just putting on some muscle. And if it's not a big deal, why care so much if actors don't do that?

It most certainly isn't Hollywood marketing. One of the reasons Chris Evans is more interested in directing is because of the toll the ridiculous standards for the MCU movies have taken on his body. All Patterson said was that he wasn't going to work out all the time (not unlike what Hemsworth is doing) and being actor comes with its own amount of stress.
    I would love a source link to that statement, i almost guaranteed it was more mental stress than toll on his body.

Patterson said he didn't workout at all during quarantine. And then turned around and said "if you workout all the time, yo uare part of the problem." when he was doing zero lol. A problem he madeup. all while co-star Zoe was still working out 5x a week.

I am not going to feel sorry for someone getting paid millions of dollars who goes "i dont wanna bc my body hurts"

i understand that these people who grew up not doing physical stuff that this may be like pulling teeth and horrible to do for them but... then don't take the role?

(and I am saying this is as someone who carries more muscle mass than Evans ever did [think he was 6' 210... im much shorter and just as heavy] so not like I am speaking out of my ass on the physical and mental toll of holding that much weight)

anyway, hodge looks like he went beastmode. which considering hawkmans outfit and considering he is going to be next to The Rock, you kinda have too

Ultimate Member

I'm a sucker for superhero transformation

(screw your robert patterson lol)

So... they gonna race bend lois lane too you think?
    I'm not sure.

I think they said they are making a black Kal-El, if they are going with Calvin Ellis then i doubt it (Calvin Ellis is also Kal-El....Calvin Ellis is a play on that name).

Either way, I don't think they will cast a white Lois Lane if she's going to be in the movie.

Ultimate Member

I'm with Mind of Shadow on the weight lifting stuff, putting on muscle and getting fit in the process is never a bad thing.

It's just physically stressful and depending on your genetics, you can develop muscles surprisingly fast. I discussed my own weight lifting issues before and you'd be surprised at how good you feel when you eat right and build muscle.

The problem is a)if they are relying on steroids to stay on that shape for a long time b) if one yo-yo's your weight then you can develop health issues. Tom Hanks and George Clooney did real damage to their bodies with extreme weight fluctuation but they gained fat and not muscle.

Ultimate Member

I would love a source link to that statement, i almost guaranteed it was more mental stress than toll on his body.

Patterson said he didn't workout at all during quarantine. And then turned around and said "if you workout all the time, yo uare part of the problem." when he was doing zero lol. A problem he madeup. all while co-star Zoe was still working out 5x a week.

I am not going to feel sorry for someone getting paid millions of dollars who goes "i dont wanna bc my body hurts"

i understand that these people who grew up not doing physical stuff that this may be like pulling teeth and horrible to do for them but... then don't take the role?

(and I am saying this is as someone who carries more muscle mass than Evans ever did [think he was 6' 210... im much shorter and just as heavy] so not like I am speaking out of my ass on the physical and mental toll of holding that much weight)

anyway, hodge looks like he went beastmode. which considering hawkmans outfit and considering he is going to be next to The Rock, you kinda have too
    Just because people make money, doesn't make everything they do for it "ok". IMO that's just capitalistic nonsense

Hodge is naturally cut, though. Unless he did some Henry Cavill routine for "Underground" for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I'm with Mind of Shadow on the weight lifting stuff, putting on muscle and getting fit in the process is never a bad thing.

It's just physically stressful and depending on your genetics, you can develop muscles surprisingly fast. I discussed my own weight lifting issues before and you'd be surprised at how good you feel when you eat right and build muscle.

The problem is a)if they are relying on steroids to stay on that shape for a long time b) if one yo-yo's your weight then you can develop health issues. Tom Hanks and George Clooney did real damage to their bodies with extreme weight fluctuation but they gained fat and not muscle.
    Well, yeah, exactly. Its the slingshot part of it, not getting in shape at all.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Coates is a self-hating fool who can’t write and sees the worst in black people. He projects real life concerns on a cultural scale to a civilization designed to be above such concerns without trying to justify his story beats. We’ve seen that on every level of his work on BP, from his garbage take on Wakanda to the atrocious supporting characters he brings in.

Happy to see his run end with a whimper and be paved over in the future. But it sucks that he’s gonna ruin Superman lol. At the very least I got Superman and Lois to give me half decent real Clark Kent content. And thank god they’re not giving him an actual black superhero like Icon or John Stewart. I shiver at the thought of what he’d do with a black-led space opera after how he screwed up the Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda.

Real as it gets...

Niffleheim

Suspension of disbelief is going to be hard with Pattison's version of Batman. I hope he doesn't make me hysterically laughing watching him as Barman.

I can hold both his hands in one of mine lol

So... they gonna race bend lois lane too you think?
    It'd be hilarious if they kept her white.... with good to decent credit
    GrindrStone(D)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    It'd be hilarious if they kept her white.... with good to decent credit
    Why would that be hilarious?