Page 169 of 827 FirstFirst ... 69119159165166167168169170171172173179219269669 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,535 of 12396
    Ultimate Member

Aside the Liam Neeson goof, I’ve been pretty much mesmerized by the 21 Savage story.

That brother just grew up in the US with an apparently expired visiting visa (from the UK).

I actually wonder just how much of his back story is true....

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Aside the Liam Neeson goof, I’ve been pretty much mesmerized by the 21 Savage story.

That brother just grew up in the US with an apparently expired visiting visa (from the UK).

I generally assume most rappers make up 70% of their "true stories" and of that 30% remaining about 80% happened to someone they kinda knew.

Real people ain't breaking "The Stringer Bell Rule" by telling on themselves via song. Unless they want to end up like 6ix9ine.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Pretty much, also like when Tom Brokaw's goofy old-ass went on about Mexicans needing to learn English last week on MTP, he's become comfortable speaking from a backward mindset due to his age and give little to no real fucks. All Ducard left out was speakin' on his 'special set of black man hunting skills' on his armed 1 man vendetta march.

Extraordinary Member

Lolol...exactly.

Although I am curious how many black people were roaming the streets of good ole Ireland back then.
    I can't say. I will add that I once wanted to journey to Ireland, and wife up Laura Izibor (that option is still open) . Given her background, black men are getting their groove on in Ireland.

Extraordinary Member

I'm having a laugh about folks asking Amber Rose about him.

The Liam Neeson hate is hilarious. All this talk about needing to be accountable for and to change things like toxic masculinity and racism, and a guy opens up and shares a past story of dark thoughts involving both, the message clearly being that its something he's extremely ashamed of today, and in comes the hate. Kind of hard to tackle these issues that when people do open up, others outright refuse to see the context and turn to immediate judgment.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The Liam Neeson hate is hilarious. All this talk about needing to be accountable for and to change things like toxic masculinity and racism, and a guy opens up and shares a past story of dark thoughts involving both, the message clearly being that its something he's extremely ashamed of today, and in comes the hate. Kind of hard to tackle these issues that when people do open up, others outright refuse to see the context and turn to immediate judgment.
    The goal is to be judged by the content of one's character, not have having criminal behavior intertwined with one's skin color. That is what Liam did.

A bastard is a bastard. His skin color is only relevant when you are describing him to a sketch artist, or viewing a line-up of suspects.

Liam singled out an entire group over the actions of one person.

A lot of ugly history exists where black men have lost their lives for being in the cross hairs of angry white men.

Just imagine if Joe Chill was black....

No one's saying that's not what he did. HE'S saying that's what he did. He brought it up to admit it was a ghastly thing to do, a ghastly way to think. He didn't bring it up to bask in it, to promote it, he brought it up specifically to point out he once had a very dark thought that, while he in the end didn't act on it, was a horrific place to go.

A bastard is a bastard? No. There are some things people can't come back from, but you're saying you can't learn and grow from dark thoughts that at the time you don't even act on? I call major bullshit on that. I don't know this man, I don't know his character as it exists today. But is it beyond the realm of imagination to think maybe he's changed? Not at all. No man or woman hasn't had dark thoughts in their heart. Its not always as simple as "a bastard is a bastard".

This ultra lib community, especially that makes the rounds on the twitterverse and the like, needs to make up its mind. Should this be discussed? Should old and current prejudices be gotten out in the open, acknowledge these things to learn and grow from them, as the it has been documented in the past is the only way to claim any sort of progress in these issues? Or do you want them all shoved deep into a box and taped shut, and when stories in which lessons can be learned are brought out, only hypocritically lash out? If that's the only response to these things, color me unimpressed with the "woke" movement.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-05-2019 at 01:24 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

No one's saying that's not what he did. HE'S saying that's what he did. He brought it up to admit it was a ghastly thing to do, a ghastly way to think. He didn't bring it up to bask in it, to promote it, he brought it up specifically to point out he once had a very dark thought that, while he in the end didn't act on it, was a horrific place to go.

A bastard is a bastard? No. There are some things people can't come back from, but you're saying you can't learn and grow from dark thoughts that at the time you don't even act on? I call major bullshit on that. I don't know this man, I don't know his character as it exists today. But is it beyond the realm of imagination to think maybe he's changed? Not at all. No man or woman hasn't had dark thoughts in their heart. Its not always as simple as "a bastard is a bastard".

This ultra lib community, especially that makes the rounds on the twitterverse and the like, needs to make up its mind. Should this be discussed? Should old and current prejudices be gotten out in the open, acknowledge these things to learn and grow from them, as the it has been documented in the past is the only way to claim any sort of progress in these issues? Or do you want them all shoved deep into a box and taped shut, and when stories in which lessons can be learned are brought out, only hypocritically lash out? If that's the only response to these things, color me unimpressed with the "woke" movement.
    I think one of the main problems with this is that, we don't have enough context to understand the rest of the story. I'm not talking about the victim here, but more about the reason why his mindset changed. What made him originally want to go out and do what he did, what in his life later made him realize that this is a folly, and what he learned from that. Did they ever catch the guy, and if so, how did he react to that. I think that there needed to be more to the story as a whole. In a normal situation, unlike an interview like GMA where you only have X amount of time to talk about something, you'd see the person talk about the mental state they were going through in detail, and how their lives were affected at the time and why they originally thought that way. In turn then they typically talk about a turning point, something that changed in their perception and why they now look back ashamed at their behavior.

The problem here is that there's a lack of context in regard to what was going on at the time and if there had been previous things going on in his life that made him react in such a way. It's not that people don't want him to talk about it, most are pleased that he's changed his view point, it's the question of the context in understanding why he was just looking for whoever to attack that night. Anger is a powerful thing that makes us make bad choices, but if you're going to talk about these stories, then you need to really think about the time that you're allowed to discuss them fully so that a viewer who isn't from that culture can fully understand it, or if this is just you, then your mental state at the time.

This might add some context...It seemed that once he calmed down; he was shocked that his reaction was not just violence but also hatred.
    Sounds like back then that reaction made him rethink a lot of things about himself.

"On working through writers block"

So I was standing in my garden at three in the morning with a glass of whiskey, smoking furiously and swearing at the sky, reduced to waiting for the thunder bolt to hit when...

Warren Ellis

Extraordinary Member

Liam goes on a witch hunt for blackmen... sounds a lot like the media.. Guess I'll be skipping his movies from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamal View Post
    This might add some context...It seemed that once he calmed down; he was shocked that his reaction was not just violence but also hatred.
    Sounds like back then that reaction made him rethink a lot of things about himself.

I agree. Again, Liam is not denying he had a lot of anger. (It was an attitude born from the time and place. You talk about context? Here was a guy who was surrounded in a violence, with bombings and beatings. That had to have affected him. He mentioned that if the rapist were a Brit or Lituanian, he would have had the same reaction and go on the hunt). Unfortunately, people are latching only to that. They don't acknowledge that he took a step back and realized that his actions were fucking stupid and that violence is wrong.

He realized his mistake. He didn't hurt anyone. He's trying to make amends.

And yes, taking the actions of the one and using it to generalize the many has led to terrible things, especially against the African American community. But if people tell me that they have never thought something like that, taken the actions of an individual and use it to stereotype a larger group, then I know you're really not being honest with yourself.

So, y'know what, I applaud the fact that Liam was honest. I appreciate the fact that he realized that he was going to make a mistake and didn't go through with it. If we can't accept the individual who has owned up, who has admitted his faults, who realized that a violent solution in this case was bad, who has the potential to become a better, then that means we lose someone who could be a help, who could be an ally.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Extraordinary Member

People are talking about it, and that is important. As others have posted here, he never should have brought it up, provided this is even a true story.

If the information below is accurate, he actually did seek to act on his anger. He even reportedly carried a weapon. Historically, what he did is not uncommon with white men seeking vengeance on black men. He spent a week patrolling black neighborhoods in a violent haze. A lot of times, these violent clashes went unsolved, especially if a black man was on the receiving end of a beating.

When Neeson asked his friend to describe the perpetrator, she told him the alleged crime was committed by a black man. In an attempt to avenge his friend, for a week the actor said that he went to black neighborhoods in Ireland with a weapon in hand, looking to kill any black man who approached him. After a week, he came to his senses and stopped, ashamed of his actions and thoughts.
    https://slate.com/culture/2019/02/li...explained.html

I'm not a fan of these movements. However, I do take this particular instance personally because I have found myself being black at the wrong place, at the wrong time. It is not a pleasant experience when someone comes at you in a rage....and all you were doing was trying to get a hamburger.

On a funny note, black folks probably saw him, and rightfully avoided him. A guy his height, and build could easily be mistaken for someone in law enforcement, or military looking for trouble. A murdered white man in a black neighborhood is just asking for trouble with the law.

I think people underestimate the full scope that race plays in Western Civilization.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 02-05-2019 at 04:19 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Liam goes on a witch hunt for blackmen... sounds a lot like the media.. Guess I'll be skipping his movies from now on.
    It's one of the key themes for the the film Birth of a Nation which was a source of inspiration for the KKK in the 20th century.

I'm glad Batman did not save him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    So, y'know what, I applaud the fact that Liam was honest. I appreciate the fact that he realized that he was going to make a mistake and didn't go through with it.
    Wait a second didn't he say he went a whole week, with a weapon, looking for any "black bastard" to look at him the wrong way so he could f him up? Wouldn't what you're saying be true if he did find a black man and talked himself out it, not lack of opportunity?