Page 538 of 821 FirstFirst ... 38438488528534535536537538539540541542548588638 ... LastLast
Results 8,056 to 8,070 of 12315

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Considering how many otherwise unremarkable (at face value) slogans in recent years have been painted as "symbols of hatred", pretty damn easily, it seems.
    Which is funny, because now it is even easier to point out the racists due to the rise of other symbols to counteract BLM

all lives matter, don't tread on me has been taken over by idiots, blue line flag, back the blue, MAGA

It's like... thanks! I used to have to guess unless you were rocking the traitor flag. Now it's easy!
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Talk about it. Man we've all got to develop a leveling up of ignoring the assholes. No denying one thing, they don't have much else and they feel it is an identity attack. Further we go, they will just burn hotter and hotter til they burn out and the internet is the last 'safe' space they can traffic in but as we know, that's just empty calories.

Don't forget the jealousy component over a group that has been marginalized and brutalized from the jump and even throughout all that have contributed more than the majority in culture and blood alone. A group who does in large part, refuses to assimilate and to them the worst of it is many parts of the larger landscape begins to reflect us.

It came up on podcast from one of my sports guys I rock with and they asked Danny Ainge why there are so few white American born players in the NBA. It's not why one would think that the athleticism keep them out. Largely throughout all work and social associations (including their own) one would have to make, so this is more so in the modern game with the AAU. To try and make it to the league his point was that, THEY DON'T WANT TO BE THE MINORITY. That ultimately know what that is from their perspective and it's connotations. An angle I'd never personally thought of. The influx of European players were supposed to quell some of contributions by all the brothas but that did the opposite helped push out the remaining white ones.

Btw, the Black population in Kansas City, Kansas in 2019 was 35,424 out of 152K, yo lol. So I feel there are several opportunities for uh, realistic depictions of Black farm ownership among that number somewhere in that group. God knows what the rest of them do.
    I never thought about white guys being the minority in the NBA before. I can only think of three white players off the top of my head and they're all retired. Larry Bird, John Stockton, and Steve Nash. Granted I don't really watch basketball these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I never thought about white guys being the minority in the NBA before. I can only think of three white players off the top of my head and they're all retired. Larry Bird, John Stockton, and Steve Nash. Granted I don't really watch basketball these days.
    that last white american all star was in 2017- Gordan Hayward... I think anyway. I can't remember any others. Kevin Love got voted too but was hurt.

Still some pretty good role players like Joe Harris, Duncan Robinson and such who play the the prototypical white sniper.

There used to be at least big 7 foot white dudes but they got played out of the league as the league went smaller with more skill. not very many of them left.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Which is funny, because now it is even easier to point out the racists due to the rise of other symbols to counteract BLM

all lives matter, don't tread on me has been taken over by idiots, blue line flag, back the blue, MAGA

It's like... thanks! I used to have to guess unless you were rocking the traitor flag. Now it's easy!
    I guess the bad/good actors around such symbols are what skew it one way or the other (further varied by how often media coverage highlights or "catches" those actors in question).
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 05-07-2021 at 06:57 AM.

Ultimate Member

The "Don't Tread on Me" is especially idiotic because a lot of them want the government to tread on everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    The "Don't Tread on Me" is especially idiotic because a lot of them want the government to tread on everyone else.
    flying don't tread on me and the blue line flag on the same jacked up truck

like... bruh

Ultimate Member

Dirk played for Dallas Mavericks for 21 years. One of the few players to stay with one team that long. Now we have Luc and Kristaps and JJ Riddick. Kevin Love is still stealing money. Haywood Gordon. Sabonis's kid is playing in Indiana.

It came up on podcast from one of my sports guys I rock with and they asked Danny Ainge why there are so few white American born players in the NBA. To try and make it to the league his point was that, THEY DON'T WANT TO BE THE MINORITY. That ultimately know what that is from their perspective and it's connotations. An angle I'd never personally thought of. The influx of European players were supposed to quell some of contributions by all the brothas but that did the opposite helped push out the remaining white ones.
    Well how many times have we HEARD folks scream a team needs to only draft BLACK guys? And in some cases we have seen the media go after teams for having too many white players. Happened to the T-Wolves and here in Dallas.

Dallas could NOT attract player because no one wanted to be the Batman to future Hall of Famer Dirk. That is why we got burned so much in free agency or got stuck with guys like OJ Mayo and Dennis Smith Jr.

Now we got Luka Dončić. Who has set 15 NBA records, second behind Oscar Robertson in 15 records, broke a record by Jordan and is only 22 years old. All he is doing is just destroying records.

is the Invincible tv show any good or is it just getting praises because it is ultra violent lol?

Extraordinary Member

flying don't tread on me and the blue line flag on the same jacked up truck

like... bruh
    The dissonance becomes frighteningly clear when you realize the insane double standard it’s actually backing: a “Protect those guys who keep an eye on others, and get your eyes off me!” ethos. From the guys who want cops to be able to shoot back people without any issue, and want to be able to shoot black people themselves as well, and know, on some level, that they themselves aren’t going to be suffering nearly that much from trigger happy cops, like the white guy who knew *he* could threaten cops with a gun, hit their car, and still just get arrested.

Little query I’d like to ask you about the black Superman idea, though...

Listen, I’m whiter than rice cake in a snow storm, so I *know* I’m liable to make an idiot out of myself in some discussion here, but: let’s say that Kal/Clark is black, but the Kents who adopt him aren’t. Now, there ain’t any real creativity or goal behind casting a black man as Clark if you ain’t going to address that elephant in the room.

But could you address being a black man raised in America with an adopted black Superman in a white family? Clark would still be experiencing racism himself regardless, while the bigger challenge I see is taking on the white farm parents specifically - I’ve lived in Kansas and Missouri, and I know there *are* some Democrats even in the country, but I also know they’re much rarer, and tend to have cantankerous relationships with the more overtly racist members of the community.

Could you portray Clark as a black man with a Golden Age-style chip on his shoulder and stubborn altruism, and still address race in America, even if he was raised by whites parents?
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

is the Invincible tv show any good or is it just getting praises because it is ultra violent lol?
    It's alright. It's about as violent as I remember reading it. I'm not a big fan of gore. Invincible was part of that wave of deconstructionist comics that came along around the early 2000's. It got a lot of praise then, and I liked reading it then, but I'm kind of over deconstruction.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    The dissonance becomes frighteningly clear when you realize the insane double standard it’s actually backing: a “Protect those guys who keep an eye on others, and get your eyes off me!” ethos. From the guys who want cops to be able to shoot back people without any issue, and want to be able to shoot black people themselves as well, and know, on some level, that they themselves aren’t going to be suffering nearly that much from trigger happy cops, like the white guy who knew *he* could threaten cops with a gun, hit their car, and still just get arrested.

Little query I’d like to ask you about the black Superman idea, though...

Listen, I’m whiter than rice cake in a snow storm, so I *know* I’m liable to make an idiot out of myself in some discussion here, but: let’s say that Kal/Clark is black, but the Kents who adopt him aren’t. Now, there ain’t any real creativity or goal behind casting a black man as Clark if you ain’t going to address that elephant in the room.

But could you address being a black man raised in America with an adopted black Superman in a white family? Clark would still be experiencing racism himself regardless, while the bigger challenge I see is taking on the white farm parents specifically - I’ve lived in Kansas and Missouri, and I know there *are* some Democrats even in the country, but I also know they’re much rarer, and tend to have cantankerous relationships with the more overtly racist members of the community.

Could you portray Clark as a black man with a Golden Age-style chip on his shoulder and stubborn altruism, and still address race in America, even if he was raised by whites parents?
    Well, it's good to see you're laying off the carbs. I never did like rice cakes though, yuck.

Snacks aside, since Coates is writing this thing, he's probably going to address race in a way that is neither clever or nuanced, but ham fisted and awful. Neoliberals will love the movie and feel seen. Like the X-Writer he dreams of being. A black Kal raised by white parents would probably tap dance around race and use his experience as an alien as a metaphor.

Mighty Member

...........<lightbulb> Make the Kents Jewish. It’d be both an interesting subversion and a nod to the Man of Steel’s original creators (themselves Jewish immigrants). NOW the challenge is upped. Now he has to deal with Carlson-fellating racists AND those fucking confusing Zionist conspiracy nuts (not mutually exclusive in some cases).
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 05-07-2021 at 09:46 AM.

Hmmp, you went way back. Oddly enough Boston and Utah were notorious for uh, 'let me see if we can field a team of certain Americans to give the other Americans in the rest of the leage a run'. Steve Nash might pass whatever the paperbag test is the majority uses, a sack of flour I guess, but he don't really count he's Canadian. 2-time MVP though!

that last white american all star was in 2017- Gordan Hayward... I think anyway. I can't remember any others. Kevin Love got voted too but was hurt.

Still some pretty good role players like Joe Harris, Duncan Robinson and such who play the the prototypical white sniper.

There used to be at least big 7 foot white dudes but they got played out of the league as the league went smaller with more skill. not very many of them left.
    Yes, Gordan Hayward from the small Horizon league school with his former coach is the white knight of the league right now. I liked Kevin Love, yea the sniper role will always be their for them. Mike Miller hung on and became a champion under that Heat Lebron team with his hobbled ass burning my Indiana Pacers. Used to be a lot of 7 foot brothas too that lost the jobs they used to have when the league went smaller and faster. Unless they big ass cant shoot three's.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Dirk played for Dallas Mavericks for 21 years. One of the few players to stay with one team that long. Now we have Luc and Kristaps and JJ Riddick. Kevin Love is still stealing money. Haywood Gordon. Sabonis's kid is playing in Indiana.

Well how many times have we HEARD folks scream a team needs to only draft BLACK guys? And in some cases we have seen the media go after teams for having too many white players. Happened to the T-Wolves and here in Dallas.

Dallas could NOT attract player because no one wanted to be the Batman to future Hall of Famer Dirk. That is why we got burned so much in free agency or got stuck with guys like OJ Mayo and Dennis Smith Jr.

Now we got Luka Dončić. Who has set 15 NBA records, second behind Oscar Robertson in 15 records, broke a record by Jordan and is only 22 years old. All he is doing is just destroying records.
    I want to say it was J.J. Reddick who wrote the players tribune piece about Black issues and being a White player in the NBA. It was pretty heartfelt and he was the only one that did something like that. I think it was Reddick...

lol, OJ Mayo... c'mon Volt, you don't cut nay a slack. These euros don't count against the official number imo, yea Sabonis's kid is our All-Star.

Dirk is a Champion though! Not a fall backwards into it Champion either, he took that **** from Lebron. I'm old enough to remember your Mavericks was struggling to put it together with Jimmy Jackson and Jason Kid, then they got Nash and they stated to take off then Dirk changed the whole position. Speaking of Nash, I finally saw him 'coach' his Nets superteam last night when Durrant got beat by Doncic (Whooo boy, that dude is COLD). Yall don't even hear from Porzingas anymore. I saw Dirk sitting on the sideline with 'W' and all I thought was yeaa, you know 'W' don't mind sittin and leanin' next next to a sista lol.

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

I think the intensity of the violence is one thing but I think it's a pretty refreshing take on the genre and a great adaption of the comic.

Seems like Mackie is gettting back into shape again...

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/ma...4591#gs.09z9ot

seems weird he would have to "super hero bod" for a minor cameo... hmm

Ultimate Member

I'm guessing it's for his cameo in the Flash movie