Page 396 of 413 FirstFirst ... 296346386392393394395396397398399400406 ... LastLast
Results 5,926 to 5,940 of 6191
  1. #5926
    Astonishing Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    So I read Ms Marvel with Kamala Khan and posted my thoughts on the series in her thread in the Marvel board. I really enjoyed it. I had never seen a Muslim hero or never had seen media with Muslims where they were not the typical kill America terrorist's or joke characters who cant fit into American society. So reading her was very pleasant.

    I have not read many comics with a minority as the lead. I read mostly 60s and 70s Marvel which did have Storm as a member of The Xmen and Black Panther as a member of The Avengers but they were not main characters in the sense it focused on them and their life. And also Golden age Dc which have no POC unless they are used in racist stereotypical ways.

    I was wondering what are some good comics with minorities that not just focus on the hero but also the home life of the hero. I really enjoyed seeing how Kamala interacted with her family and those around her.

    Thanks for the help.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  2. #5927
    BCB 4sake Baned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    2,508

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KOSLOX View Post
    I liked the last issue, but the Arc with Beak's family was pretty lame.

    They pulled kind of a rope-a-dope with that book. I thought it would serve as a companion to X-Men since Hickman did the first arc, but then he left and Brisson took over.
    I was thinking the samething at 1st. Then I realized they similar to Fallen Angels the 1st was setting up another book that has yet to come out & who knows Iíd it still coming out now with the rona. Something rumor to have Sunspot, M, Cannonball, Archangel & some others.. Yeah Brisson Iím not fan, love Magik but at times it to much of the lead in this team book where to many others arenít in other books like her, comic version of Magma is insulting to oneís intelligence & then his love of Glob donít get me started lol.

  3. #5928
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    6,831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    So I read Ms Marvel with Kamala Khan and posted my thoughts on the series in her thread in the Marvel board. I really enjoyed it. I had never seen a Muslim hero or never had seen media with Muslims where they were not the typical kill America terrorist's or joke characters who cant fit into American society. So reading her was very pleasant.

    I have not read many comics with a minority as the lead. I read mostly 60s and 70s Marvel which did have Storm as a member of The Xmen and Black Panther as a member of The Avengers but they were not main characters in the sense it focused on them and their life. And also Golden age Dc which have no POC unless they are used in racist stereotypical ways.

    I was wondering what are some good comics with minorities that not just focus on the hero but also the home life of the hero. I really enjoyed seeing how Kamala interacted with her family and those around her.

    Thanks for the help.
    The ones i've enjoyed (and fit your critieria)

    Miles Morales Spider-man (the entire run)
    Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes version, pre Nu52)
    Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes version with the sweet Tradd Moore art)

    Going further back, Static falls into this category too.
    Last edited by Username taken; 09-18-2020 at 10:29 AM.
    "Obviously not all conservatives are racists/bigots but all racists/bigots claim to be conservative"- Unknown

    "BE WOKE, VOTE!!"

  4. #5929
    MYTH SMITH ∞ !!! G. Boney's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Review and short interview about my comic

    https://indiecomixdispatch.com/revie...of-myth-smith/
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

  5. #5930
    Astonishing Member Overhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    So I read Ms Marvel with Kamala Khan and posted my thoughts on the series in her thread in the Marvel board. I really enjoyed it. I had never seen a Muslim hero or never had seen media with Muslims where they were not the typical kill America terrorist's or joke characters who cant fit into American society. So reading her was very pleasant.

    I have not read many comics with a minority as the lead. I read mostly 60s and 70s Marvel which did have Storm as a member of The Xmen and Black Panther as a member of The Avengers but they were not main characters in the sense it focused on them and their life. And also Golden age Dc which have no POC unless they are used in racist stereotypical ways.

    I was wondering what are some good comics with minorities that not just focus on the hero but also the home life of the hero. I really enjoyed seeing how Kamala interacted with her family and those around her.

    Thanks for the help.
    A DC You series I liked was Dr. Fate. The Lead character's name was Khalid Nassour, he was half egyptian on his father's side. Kent Nelson was his great uncle. He was going to med school and trying to become a doctor before being chosen to wield the helmet of fate. Paul Levitz wrote the book, I forget who the artist was. Levitz did a pretty decent job on it, It reminded me of a more mature Ms. Marvel and I could relate to it pretty well. Khalid does interact with his family and his girlfriend a lot in the series.

  6. #5931
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    24,149

    Default

    Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah, the directors of Bad Boys For Life, Oscar winner Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, and The Walking Dead's Meera Menon will be helming the Ms. Marvel series.

    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...iew_id=4062541

  7. #5932
    Incredible Member Samm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    714

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    So I read Ms Marvel with Kamala Khan and posted my thoughts on the series in her thread in the Marvel board. I really enjoyed it. I had never seen a Muslim hero or never had seen media with Muslims where they were not the typical kill America terrorist's or joke characters who cant fit into American society. So reading her was very pleasant.

    I have not read many comics with a minority as the lead. I read mostly 60s and 70s Marvel which did have Storm as a member of The Xmen and Black Panther as a member of The Avengers but they were not main characters in the sense it focused on them and their life. And also Golden age Dc which have no POC unless they are used in racist stereotypical ways.

    I was wondering what are some good comics with minorities that not just focus on the hero but also the home life of the hero. I really enjoyed seeing how Kamala interacted with her family and those around her.

    Thanks for the help.
    Miles Morales (Ultimate Comics Spider-Man vol 2; 31 issues)
    Jaime Reyes (Blue Beetle vol 7; 36 issues)
    Robbie Reyes (All New Ghost Rider; 12 issues)
    Khalid Nassour (Dr Fate vol 4; 18 issues)
    Jason Rusch (Firestorm vol 3; 35 issues)
    Virgil Hawkins (Static vol 1; 45 issues)
    Sam Alexander (Nova vol 5; 31 issues)
    Derek James (Sideways vol 1; 13 issues)

    Those are some of my favorites, Jaime and Miles being the standouts in my view.

  8. #5933
    Astonishing Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am reading the Ultimate line right now. So I am going to get to Miles soon. I will scope out some of the others as well. I am trying to expand my reading past just 60s and early 70s and Golden age Dc white heroes. i am also going to be looking into some good female characters.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  9. #5934
    Genesis of A Nemesis KOSLOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am reading the Ultimate line right now. So I am going to get to Miles soon. I will scope out some of the others as well. I am trying to expand my reading past just 60s and early 70s and Golden age Dc white heroes. i am also going to be looking into some good female characters.
    Check out some of the old Milestone books. Especially Static, Blood Syndicate, Hardware, and Icon.
    Pull List:

    Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

  10. #5935
    Astonishing Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KOSLOX View Post
    Check out some of the old Milestone books. Especially Static, Blood Syndicate, Hardware, and Icon.
    I have been wanting to check out that line since I saw them on Robert Kirkman's Secret History of Comics. How is the line overall? Are there ones that I should avoid?
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  11. #5936
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    6,831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I have been wanting to check out that line since I saw them on Robert Kirkman's Secret History of Comics. How is the line overall? Are there ones that I should avoid?
    KOSLOX suggestions are very much on point. Those were the core Milestone titles.

    Although, Blood Syndicate might be a little difficult because there's "gangs" stuff in it. It's not pervasive but the Blood Syndicate aren't altruistic heroes and the book is quite violent.
    "Obviously not all conservatives are racists/bigots but all racists/bigots claim to be conservative"- Unknown

    "BE WOKE, VOTE!!"

  12. #5937
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    6,831

    Default

    Watching Lovecraft Country. Maybe it's me but I found the racism much more horrifying than any of the monsters the main guys faced. And Courtney B Vance is turning into the black Sean Bean (wink wink).

    All this being said, is there some edict that there has to be black male nudity on these tv series? Between Altered Carbon, Watchmen, Power and now this, I'm a little tired of seeing naked black men on tv.
    "Obviously not all conservatives are racists/bigots but all racists/bigots claim to be conservative"- Unknown

    "BE WOKE, VOTE!!"

  13. #5938
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Watching Lovecraft Country. Maybe it's me but I found the racism much more horrifying than any of the monsters the main guys faced. And Courtney B Vance is turning into the black Sean Bean (wink wink).

    All this being said, is there some edict that there has to be black male nudity on these tv series? Between Altered Carbon, Watchmen, Power and now this, I'm a little tired of seeing naked black men on tv.
    Nudity in general on primetime TV/streaming is nothing new. Hell, Game of Thrones practically codified it for the post-millenium age.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 09-19-2020 at 09:41 AM.

  14. #5939
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    16,289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Nudity in general on primetime TV/streaming is nothing new. Hell, Game of Thrones practically codified it for the post-millenium age.
    Exactly. Unless you're against nudity in general ( and there's nothing wrong with that if you are), I'm not sure why black or minority men shouldn't get to be perceived as eye candy.

  15. #5940
    Amazing Member Adam Allen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am reading the Ultimate line right now. So I am going to get to Miles soon. I will scope out some of the others as well. I am trying to expand my reading past just 60s and early 70s and Golden age Dc white heroes. i am also going to be looking into some good female characters.
    Lunella Lafayette (Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur) is also a pretty cool character. Her book is a bit different from the others because she is by far the youngest, but I enjoyed reading her stories.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •