Page 618 of 827 FirstFirst ... 118518568608614615616617618619620621622628668718 ... LastLast
Results 9,256 to 9,270 of 12395
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Four of DCTV's black female stars (Azie Tesfai from Supergirl, Javicia Leslie from Batwoman, Candice Patton from The Flash, and Anna Diop from Titans) recently had a roundtable discussion on Instagram talking about their experiences on their shows and in dealing with fans. Needless to say, these women did not have a good time.

This nothing new. Especially considering 3 of those women took on roles that were not original black (or human in Starfire's case).

People keep saying we make this stuff up but the resentment to us never seems to go away like it can with others.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

The current Haitian crisis are really opened up a lot of uncomfortable truths.

Look at how they were capturing them? It looks like how slaves were rounded up back in the day.

Sure a lot of them can be deported but why not even hear them out? Haiti just had a massive Earthquake and is facing serious political instability, there are real, legit reasons for people to get out of the country right now.
    7 flights a day CBS news said are working in deporting Haitians back. Man, the resilience of these people, crossing a continent and along this trek they said the Chileans gave them some bad info, took so much of what money they had. Some stayed most moved on and all the way carrying everything they own. Not speaking any of the languages either. That level of mobilization is historic and of course the government can't get rid of them fast enough, except for the ones that got through on the migrant worker side.

Let nobody forget a good chunk of the political instability they've come under came under the puppetry of the Unites States. Even Obama had a hand in that.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Is staying in Mexico not an option?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Is staying in Mexico not an option?
    Until the work dries up, which it will, still plenty of Mexican citizens looking to cross for that reason.

Thing about the trek up into South America to get into Mexico is that they were pretty heavy handed on some of the migrants. Subsequently since I guess it's cooled some to the point Haitians have come to go back to Mexico for supplies to take back to the Rio camp.

Thing about Mexico is a clash with the Haitian refugee's and cartels- the main reason for so much of the border crossings in the first place seems inevitable.
    You bet yer ass.

Ah! Damn, we lost a real one today.

On September 21, Melvin Van Peeples, regarded as the “Godfather of Black Cinema” passed away at his home in Manhattan at the age of 89.

The father of actor and director Mario Van Peeples had a career in the arts that spanned more than 60 years. The playwright, actor, filmmaker, novelist and composer made his first short film, Pickup Men for Herrick, in 1957; his latest work was an acting role in 2018’s Armed. Between those years, Van Peeples, who became known for the 1971 Blaxploitation film, Sweet Sweetback’s Baadasssss Song, which he wrote, co-produced, scored, edited, directed, and starred in, was the talent in and behind the scenes of a number of notable projects across screens and stages.

A statement released by his family, The Criterion Collection and Janus Films announcing Van Peeples’ death read:

“In an unparalleled career distinguished by relentless innovation, boundless curiosity and spiritual empathy, Melvin Van Peebles made an indelible mark on the international cultural landscape through his films, novels, plays and music,” the statement read. “His work continues to be essential and is being celebrated at the New York Film Festival this weekend with a 50th anniversary screening of his landmark film Sweet Sweetback’s Baadasssss Song; a Criterion Collection box set, Melvin Van Peebles: Essential Films, next week; and a revival of his play Ain’t Supposed to Die a Natural Death, slated for a return to Broadway next year.”

As we mark the death of this pioneer in film, we take a look back and his life and legacy in photos.

https://www.essence.com/celebrity/th...hotos/#1101538
    You bet yer ass.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    This nothing new. Especially considering 3 of those women took on roles that were not original black (or human in Starfire's case).

People keep saying we make this stuff up but the resentment to us never seems to go away like it can with others.
    The point here being that the women themselves are finally able to talk about their negative experiences in the open and from their own perspectives. It's important for them to have opportunities and spaces to do so.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 09-23-2021 at 12:10 PM.

Extraordinary Member

At the time that I write this, Marvel is suing the estates of Steve Ditko and others to make sure they hold on to the copyrights of these characters.

I haven't seen any reports on this yet here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    At the time that I write this, Marvel is suing the estates of Steve Ditko and others to make sure they hold on to the copyrights of these characters.

I haven't seen any reports on this yet here.
    been like 10 threads on reddit about it lol.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

wrong thread
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 09-26-2021 at 11:42 AM.

One writer I really dig is Bryan Edward Hill. That dude is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by FistofIron View Post
    One writer I really dig is Bryan Edward Hill. That dude is awesome!
    Seems like he may have handled the writing on that "The Wild Storm..." Michael Cray series.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Seems like he may have handled the writing on that "The Wild Storm..." Michael Cray series.
    Yes that is him.

He also works on The Titans tv series, Batman and the Outsiders last book and adapting Black Mask's Black comic book series into a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    A live action version of Cowboy Bebop on netflix, I know it's only the opening credits, but it looks like something a bunch of fans made on youtube....in 2012. Maybe it'll be good, maybe they'll try something different instead of a soulless version of the original. What I'm really worried about is Netflix's live action One Piece series. The world of one piece does not lend itself to live action very well. Stretchy powers in live action look really gross and Luffy can inflate his skeleton.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    A live action version of Cowboy Bebop on netflix, I know it's only the opening credits, but it looks like something a bunch of fans made on youtube....in 2012. Maybe it'll be good, maybe they'll try something different instead of a soulless version of the original. What I'm really worried about is Netflix's live action One Piece series. The world of one piece does not lend itself to live action very well. Stretchy powers in live action look really gross and Luffy can inflate his skeleton.
    The live action scenes looked good by themselves, but when they tried to mix anime with live action and the poses it looked cheesy.

If they just make a Sci Fi movie based on the Anime, it can work but if they try to duplicate it, that probably won't work.

The Loki and Picard series show that big budget TV can credibly do Blade Runner-like worlds. Keep Bebop in a BR type world. Something that live action can do.

I will watch it of course, you can't really judge it by the intro. But it does makes me nervous.