Page 635 of 826 FirstFirst ... 135535585625631632633634635636637638639645685735 ... LastLast
Results 9,511 to 9,525 of 12382
    Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I feel like the protests against the Chappelle stand up gave more life to the stand up then it would have had if everyone just shrugged and moved on....
    The same could be said about Jordan Peterson.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    People were seeking out Peterson anyeay, though

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Peterson was completely different. He purposely took a stand against a law that didn't exist ( he misinterpreted an anti-discrimination law and pretended people would get put in jail for mis-gendering trans people) and rode that to fame.

Niffleheim

Ppl could have as easily ignored Peterson and he wouldn’t have gained such a big following by calling attention to him.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Ultimate Member

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...el-culture.cnn

Smerconish just summarizes my thoughts on the Chappelle special. Do I agree with "Phobic jokes" OF COURSE NOT. Did he say things that we must think about and talk about- absolutely. The truth is, a lot of the outrage is proving exactly what he said in the special..PEOPLE.DO.NOT.LISTEN.

I don't agree AT ALL that the special is "hateful" or is "inciting" violence against trans people. Nor do I agree that the special should be "taken down".

I've long said that I totally disagree with the mindset of "i don't like something so it shouldn't exist" in media and entertainment. So far it's not depicting real criminal activity, people should be allowed to express themselves and people should be allowed to challenge them on what they say. Tucker Carlson and the Fox News guys say a lot of offensive crap every single day but I won't advocate that they are taken off the air.

There's a reason that even more liberal minded people (even some black trans performers like Flame Monroe) are defending Chappelle. It's not because they agree with everything he said but one can't just dismiss every single talking point in a special where he said a lot of stuff and SPECIFICALLY told a story about a real life trans friend of his that committed suicide. A trans friend that he gave an opportunity to and who's family has come out to defend him. It must also be noted that some of what he said in that special were obviously jokes and probably never even happened.

That being said, Netflix employees have the right to protest what they feel is offensive and I will never tell anyone what to or not get offended by. That's an individual's perogative.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...el-culture.cnn

Smerconish just summarizes my thoughts on the Chappelle special. Do I agree with "Phobic jokes" OF COURSE NOT. Did he say things that we must think about and talk about- absolutely. The truth is, a lot of the outrage is proving exactly what he said in the special..PEOPLE.DO.NOT.LISTEN.

I don't agree AT ALL that the special is "hateful" or is "inciting" violence against trans people. Nor do I agree that the special should be "taken down".

I've long said that I totally disagree with the mindset of "i don't like something so it shouldn't exist" in media and entertainment. So far it's not depicting real criminal activity, people should be allowed to express themselves and people should be allowed to challenge them on what they say. Tucker Carlson and the Fox News guys say a lot of offensive crap every single day but I won't advocate that they are taken off the air.

There's a reason that even more liberal minded people (even some black trans performers like Flame Monroe) are defending Chappelle. It's not because they agree with everything he said but one can't just dismiss every single talking point in a special where he said a lot of stuff and SPECIFICALLY told a story about a real life trans friend of his that committed suicide. A trans friend that he gave an opportunity to and who's family has come out to defend him. It must also be noted that some of what he said in that special were obviously jokes and probably never even happened.

That being said, Netflix employees have the right to protest what they feel is offensive and I will never tell anyone what to or not get offended by. That's an individual's perogative.
    QFT. I never like the idea of getting someone thrown off of their platform no matter how offensive their words are. I don't like the idea of telling someone, "Yes, you have freedom of speech, but we're going to try to make it impossible for anyone to listen to you." I also don't agree with the idea that if some celebrity said some hateful things about a particular group and then some members of that group have been physically attacked, that the celebrity's words directly led to the attack. My opinion is that the attackers usually use whatever is available as an excuse for their actions.
    Last edited by Malvolio; 10-23-2021 at 05:00 PM.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    QFT. I never like the idea of getting someone thrown off of their platform no matter how offensive their words are. I don't like the idea of telling someone, "Yes, you have freedom of speech, but we're going to try to make it impossible for anyone to listen to you." I also don't agree with the idea that if some celebrity said some hateful things about a particular group and then some members of that group have been physically attacked, that the celebrity's word directly led to the attack. My opinion is that the attackers usually use whatever is available as an excuse for their actions.
    Chappelle (or whoever) absolutely get to say whatever they want, but people get to respond however they want, too. Sure, some people get to agree with you or defend you, others get to not care or be okay with what you said -- but people who disagree with you or find you offensive are not wrong for how they feel about it. They are not wrong for disagreeing strongly with it, and for using their own platform and voice to state how strongly they disagree with you.

You can't have it both ways, where you get to say whatever you want, and nobody has the right to say what they want, just because they disagree. If you're going to say something controversial, you get to deal with that controversy.

I am, again, not personally calling for Dave to be "cancelled", from Netflix or anywhere. But in this particular conflict, I do not feel moved to rush to the defense of the very rich entertainer, who has the freedom to say whatever he wants on a comedy special, make millions doing it, and who decided to use that opportunity to preach about how trans folk need to think his jokes about them are funny. He could have talked about anything. He chose to talk about trans people, so trans folk having opinions about it is not somehow out of line.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Invincible Member

Dave Chapelle is literally the opposite if being so-called cancelled. He was semi-retired when Netflix threw $60 mil at him to do a few specials for them and do his edgy comedy, which he did. He took on some controversial topics and of course, some people didn't agree with his takes which is what happens when you talk about provocative issues. Dave has made more money than he'll ever need, the special is avail for whoever wants to watch it, and Netfix's profits have gone up in the last couple of months. Who's been so-called "cancelled"?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Dave Chapelle is literally the opposite if being so-called cancelled. He was semi-retired when Netflix threw $60 mil at him to do a few specials for them and do his edgy comedy, which he did. He took on some controversial topics and of course, some people didn't agree with his takes which is what happens when you talk about provocative issues. Dave has made more money than he'll ever need, the special is avail for whoever wants to watch it, and Netfix's profits have gone up in the last couple of months. Who's been so-called "cancelled"?
    It is because the newest thing is the cry about being cancelled without being cancelled

The amount of people who get cancelled is astronomically low. And it is usually because they break company policy (like Disney not wanting their brand hurt) and get fired vs Twitter "cancelling" anyone.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

He hasn't been canceled. But there are plenty of people who are demanding that Netflix remove his specials from their platform. If they were to give in to those demands, they would in effect cancel Dave Chappelle.

Now I don't say that transgender individuals shouldn't feel hurt by Chappelle's words. If that's how they feel, then that's how they feel and I get that. I just don't think getting his specials off of Netflix will accomplish anything.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    It is because the newest thing is the cry about being cancelled without being cancelled

The amount of people who get cancelled is astronomically low. And it is usually because they break company policy (like Disney not wanting their brand hurt) and get fired vs Twitter "cancelling" anyone.
    If anything Chappelle cancelled himself.

This Dude ran away to Africa because he figured out some White folk might have been laughing AT him and not WITH him and Comedy Central wanted to give him Millions to continue on the same path.

Why this particular dude is crying about Censorship or being Cancelled in his defense or anyone else's I'll never know. All that's happened to him is he's had various corporate entities throw large sums of money at him or attempt to throw large sums of money at him.

All that happened to his buddy Lewis C.K. was getting kicked off off of a Cable Channel that he had effectively stopped working for anyway.

Frankly, the fact that FX was effectively paying Louis to not produce a TV show ( until he felt like doing it again) might be the reason they were so eager to give him the boot.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 10-23-2021 at 05:36 PM.

He didn't just 'talk about provocative issues', though. If he'd made a few edgy or off color jokes, there might've been some noise, but people would have moved on. Instead, he made some mealy mouthed comments about how we need to talk to each other while declaring trans people aren't real and aligning with those who want to suppress them and erase their civil rights. I assure you that if he was a white guy making jokes that alluded to black people sexual predating on white women while declaring he was in agreement with those who wanted to roll back civil protections for blacks, a bunch of people would likely be singing a different tune.

But because it's trans people no one gives a **** -- which is why the trans murder rate is what it is.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-23-2021 at 09:33 PM.

Conservatives are apparently willing to use any situation, no matter how serious, to fit their narrative, as evident by how right-wing media is covering reports of a sexual assault at Stone Bridge High School in Virginia. Right-wing media (like The Daily Wire, not linked here to avoid giving them clicks) has pushed the idea that the alleged attacker took advantage of the school’s trans-inclusive bathroom policy in order to enter the girls’ bathroom and attack the survivor. However, the attack took place months before the trans-inclusive policy came into effect.

Before we get into the meat of this story, it’s important to stress a key point: Sexual violence is wrong. There is no wiggle room, no hedging. If a trans person commits sexual violence, that is wrong. If a cis person commits sexual violence, that is wrong. If an LGBTQ+ person commits sexual violence, this is wrong. Solidarity with survivors, always, no matter who committed violence against them.

Keeping that extremely important point in mind, let’s review what we know about this incident. As reported by The Washington Post, authorities have not confirmed the gender identity of the suspect. According to LGBTQ+ outlet them, the same suspect has actually been charged in a second assault, this time for sexual battery and abduction, reportedly having taken place in an empty classroom in Broad Run High School also in Virginia.
    https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...fy-transphobia

Nothing to see here, folks, not a sign of the times of rampant transphobia that people like Dave Chapelle help contribute to whenever they question the validity of trans identities to an audience of millions. But, hey, he said we should talk to each other so that excuses everything else.

Bobcat Goldthwait on 'cancel culture'.

Attachment 114974

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    He hasn't been canceled. But there are plenty of people who are demanding that Netflix remove his specials from their platform. If they were to give in to those demands, they would in effect cancel Dave Chappelle.

Now I don't say that transgender individuals shouldn't feel hurt by Chappelle's words. If that's how they feel, then that's how they feel and I get that. I just don't think getting his specials off of Netflix will accomplish anything.
    Netflix is a business, and if they take any content down it will be a business decision, made with maximizing profit in mind, not "cancelling" anyone. Having one streaming service out of the many out there not have your specials on is not being "cancelled". Netflix not being able to have MCU movies anymore once Disney+ started doesn't mean those movies are cancelled.

I mean, you and I don't have specials on Netflix. Does that mean we have been "cancelled"?
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine