Page 505 of 827 FirstFirst ... 5405455495501502503504505506507508509515555605 ... LastLast
Results 7,561 to 7,575 of 12392

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

I'm not sure why he was still getting high profile gigs. Whedon is toxic AF.
    Living off Avengers and AoU hype

Which is interesting in two ways...

1. The control of the MCU by Feigie and Crew may have controlled him

2. There were strong rumors the main cast was done soon after AoU until Feigie broke away from Ike... i do wonder if Whedon may have had a part to play in burning out the main cast.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Living off Avengers and AoU hype

Which is interesting in two ways...

1. The control of the MCU by Feigie and Crew may have controlled him

2. There were strong rumors the main cast was done soon after AoU until Feigie broke away from Ike... i do wonder if Whedon may have had a part to play in burning out the main cast.
    Good points.

I think the Marvel/Disney machine kept him in check.

But I suspect he's done getting high profile work now, the guy is just a frickin' asshat.

Ultimate Member

Good points.

I think the Marvel/Disney machine kept him in check.

But I suspect he's done getting high profile work now, the guy is just a frickin' asshat.
    yeah, I don't see him getting any major work again.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    How was she not? I only watched a few episodes, but her mother was a black woman.
    I was saying the character is a black kryptonian,not a bi-racial black kryptonian.

Was the character adopted?
    No.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-07-2021 at 08:59 AM.

Invincible Member

Exactly.

I'm not sure why he was still getting high profile gigs. Whedon is toxic AF.
    Well don't forget, for a minute Buffy The Vampire was a minor phenomenon and while it wasn't a block buster Firefly/Serenity had strong cult following. Plus, ten years ago Joss still had a reputation as a so-called male feminist. And the comics community held him in high regard due to his X-Men run. His Dollhouse show flopped but still a mostly positive reputation in Hollywood then.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    yeah, I don't see him getting any major work again.
    It remains to be seen. Fact of the matter is, he's been outed as an *******, but that's nothing new in Hollywood. The Entertainment business is and has always been full of jerks terrible people and the studios will look the other way as long as you make money for them.

Hey, Magic: The Gathering, Your Story Is Doing Great Without The Racist Tropes
    by
    Ash Parrish

Ever since Jordan Peele gave us Get Out, there’s been a trend in pop culture entertainment that upsets the **** outta me—everything (and oh my Lord, do I mean everything) is centered on Black Pain. It feels like the only shows or movies that prominently feature Black people involved in fantastical or heroic **** has to feature Black Pain: HBO’s Watchmen and Lovecraft Country, Amazon’s Them, Netflix’s new movie Two Distant Strangers, even The Falcon and The Winter Soldier couldn’t resist making a “Black guy getting unjustly harassed by the cops” reference (even if it is quickly subverted). Y’all, I gotta say (again) I’m tired of it, and desperate for something in which there are hella Black people doing weird, awesome, heroic, and magical ****, without needing to deal with the baggage of racism. In my search for such a thing, I’ve hit upon an unlikely ally: Magic: The Gathering.

I love stories and lore. I especially love the stories for the kind of games nobody plays for the story— games like Battlefield, Call of Duty, Overwatch, and, obviously, Magic: The Gathering. I am also extremely attracted to high fantasy. Big robes, big spells, elves and wizards—I eat that **** up with a spoon and ask for seconds. And if it’s Black people in big robes, casting big spells, or featured as elves or wizards, it’s a big “hell yes” for me. But as you can imagine, there hasn’t been very much intersection between Black and high fantasy in pop culture. There are a plethora of books to be sure, like the Binti trilogy and the Earthsea novels, but whenever it’s high fantasy in TV, movies, or video games, Black people either get left out entirely or are seen but barely heard.

Magic: The Gathering manages to combine my three favorite things into one: esoteric lore, Black and Brown people just vibing, and a whole lotta magic. I’ve been having a great time going back and reading the stories for past card sets on Magic: The Gathering’s website.

I really liked the Return to Dominaria set from 2018. Dominaria’s overall story is kinda ho-hum. Basically there are a few separate plot threads about a magical skyship, a cabal of demons, and assembling a crack team of individuals to take on an impending threat. But contained within that larger story is a much smaller one featuring one of Magic’s coolest Black characters, Teferi.

...Fantasy stories can hold a mirror to our reality and speak truth to power—that’s what was so powerful about Get Out. It can be cathartic—there’s an episode in Lovecraft Country in which a Black woman takes a potion that makes her white and uses it to get a job she’s coveted but could never get because of her Blackness. But the most powerful episode of that series was “I Am”, when the show left all its “racism morality play but make it cthulhu horror” premise behind to follow one Black woman’s journey from fantasy world to fantasy world. Magic: The Gathering’s story is literally built on that premise, and I’m glad its creators, at times, use that story to say that sometimes it’s okay to just leave the bullshit behind.

Ultimate Member

I still don't get all this complaining about racism being a central topic in stories about PoC characters when Hollywood has barely acknowledged systemic racism exists

^ Following that I just saw the trailer for Lena Waithe's new Amazon movie, I've got three letters for, FOH. Look, I do really enjoy The Chi. It's one of the few shows the wife and me will sit through together, generally sans a person in a cape. The second season got a little weird with the girls abduction. Not sure how much of a 'Black Pain' arc that was but it definitely struck a touch chord. Haven't seen Queen and Slim yet but I'll get to it. In this new one, she's clearly ripping off Jordan Peale, I mean the look, I mean the tone and cranked the racial imagery to about a 12 on a scale of 10. That's just me on first impression. Other than that, it kind of puts me in the mind of- and this is for the older heads, if Bamboozled had a horror theme... with a dash of Mississippi Burning... yeah. Scuse my language but this bitch is doin' to much. Artistically her reach exceeds her grasp and she's going to have to answer to these similarities. Again just a trailer but I remember when Jason Mitchell had his issues and that breakfast club interview over it didn't look good on her end whatsoever.

This overall black pain thing as entertainment, I'm going to have to come back to.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

I still don't get all this complaining about racism being a central topic in stories about PoC characters when Hollywood has barely acknowledged systemic racism exists
    That may be but I don't think you can deny that we are far more likely to see a story about PoC characters (usually black, latino and Native American chaarcters) dealing racism in any form than a fun fantasy or action adventure that just happens to star a poc character.

It is rarely about systemic racism. And it is rarely subtile.

It is slavery or "Green Book" type make white people feel good type stuff.

No one complains about the politics in say... Black Panther or Get Out.

No black people complained about Falcon/WS episode 2.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

No one complains about the politics in say... Black Panther or Get Out.

No black people complained about Falcon/WS episode 2.
    I just saw Agent Z posting a complaint including those 3.

I don't like white savior "pat myself on the back" pseudo-progressivism either. But even legit movies and shows get backlash IMO

It's also never, can never be about systemic racism. Lol, what kind of 'movie' would that even be. Centuries of American history can only be pulled parts and chunks from cinematically and honestly most of it completely unflattering, to say the least. I'd argue Native American's don't even have the little pockets of... entertaining introspection(?) that Black folks, must even bend to even have.

Hmmp, I was tryin' to think of a movie that fell into the latter and 1,000%, Green Book would be that.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    It's also never, can never be about systemic racism. Lol, what kind of 'movie' would that even be. Centuries of American history can only be pulled parts and chunks from cinematically and honestly most of it completely unflattering, to say the least. I'd argue Native American's don't even have the little pockets of... entertaining introspection(?) that Black folks, must even bend to even have.

Hmmp, I was tryin' to think of a movie that fell into the latter and 1,000%, Green Book would be that.
    It's usually a mustache twirling, blatant, beat you over the head racist. Rarely is it ever passive aggressive "I would have voted for Obama a third time, I have a black best friend, Wassup my N-word." Liberal hipster racism that people think doesn't exist. The kind of people that love listening to black voices, as long as its Barack or Michelle Obama, Beyonce, Or Oprah. Maybe Dave Chappelle if they're in the mood.