Page 156 of 824 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166206256656 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,340 of 12354

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    The nerds that are raging about B.P's Best Pic nomination (which I learned about 5 minutes ago!) are
    raging precisely because the film is being recognized not only for its quality but for cultural significance that movies like Dark Knight and Logan DON'T have.

Nerd Culture HATE HATE HATES being reminded about culture and diversity issues and we've seen the pushback and upset over servicing a larger audience for years now, so I'm not surprised that there's a interwebz meltdown going on now.

Like MOS mentioned, by every objective measure we have The Black Panther movie is not just a hit but phenomenon, but objective measures aren't enough for gatekeeping nerds and kind of never have been.

To a hilarious degree.
    And just think...they are that pissed over a nomination. Expect some "my team won the whatever bowl" level destruction if it actually wins the silly statue. Flipped cars and all that ****.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Mighty Member

I’ll admit that while Black Panther is one of the more overhyped comic book films, it’s nomination makes more sense than the Dark Knight’s (aka. The Metaphor And Symbolism Expository Sledgehammer of Deepness).
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 01-22-2019 at 01:40 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    And just think...they are that pissed over a nomination. Expect some "my team won the whatever bowl" level destruction if it actually wins the silly statue. Flipped cars and all that ****.
    IMO, stuff like that only happens because sports frenzy is relatively commonplace. Anywhere one screaming fan is likely to
    go, there are 50+ more screaming fans surrounding him or her. Its cover for the assholery.

Unless there happens to be a ComicCon on Oscar Night somewhere, there's probably not gonna be a 100+ crowd of raving fanboys that the car flippers can lose themselves in.

Extraordinary Member

Honestly I think BP is one of the few movies cmb or otherwise that actually lived up to it's hype. TDK was garbage and all the "merit' ppl who think something only has merit cuz white ppl did it can eat a D.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Will the female Wesley Snipes please stand up!
    LOL Lupita Nyango says Hi! She's easily the most prominent black female actress currently in Hollywood.

IMO, stuff like that only happens because sports frenzy is relatively commonplace. Anywhere one screaming fan is likely to
    go, there are 50+ more screaming fans surrounding him or her. Its cover for the assholery.

Unless there happens to be a ComicCon on Oscar Night somewhere, there's probably not gonna be a 100+ crowd of raving fanboys that the car flippers can lose themselves in.
    comic neckbeards would be out of breath walking to the car

just saying lol

I think what really grinds their gears is the BP is the FIRST one to do it. Not their precious Batman, not Logan... a 90% black cast with 90% black people behind the scenes.

It will forever be "the first." If another one ever gets nominated, they will say, "Avengers 28 is the first comic book movie nominated for best picture sense Black Panther"
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    comic neckbeards would be out of breath walking to the car

just saying lol

I think what really grinds their gears is the BP is the FIRST one to do it. Not their precious Batman, not Logan... a 90% black cast with 90% black people behind the scenes.

It will forever be "the first." If another one ever gets nominated, they will say, "Avengers 28 is the first comic book movie nominated for best picture sense Black Panther"
    I didn't like TDK at all, but I at least get why some people did. Logan I'm baffled about. That **** was soooo boring.

I guess it's one of the better X-Men flicks...

Which is all I have to say about those.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Mighty Member

Unfortunately, the pervading question about BP’s nomination (or even win) might be, “Did the Academy actually like the film enough, or were they too afraid of being labeled as ‘part of the problem’ to go with what they were originally leaning towards?”
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 01-22-2019 at 03:25 PM.

If BP wins best picture, I'm gonna laugh.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I think he used a goofy acronym to label himself on Oprah back in the day.

I also think that people underestimate the strength of the "one drop rule" in America.

Oh no doubt about it, unless you're Vin Diesal or akin to that range, people are going to place in that category. I always agree with the right with for the individual to identify as he/she wishes, but that doesn't change what society views you as so be prepared for the struggle lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    It will be my favorite moment since I got to say "Academy Award Winner - The Three Six Mafia."
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Unfortunately, the pervading question about BP’s nomination (or even win) might be, “Did the Academy actually like the film enough, or were they too afraid of being labeled as ‘part of the problem’ to go with what they were originally leaning towards?”
    I actually hope BlacKKKlansman or Roma wins.
    Pull List:

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Hey, if stellar set design and costuming could give LOTR a huge push, then definitely don’t rule out Black Panther. Take M’Baku’s throne room for example. That alone wins an award for visual design in my book.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 01-22-2019 at 03:40 PM.

Astonishing Member

The nerds that are raging about B.P's Best Pic nomination (which I learned about 5 minutes ago!) are
    raging precisely because the film is being recognized not only for its quality but for cultural significance that movies like Dark Knight and Logan DON'T have.

Nerd Culture HATE HATE HATES being reminded about culture and diversity issues and we've seen the pushback and upset over servicing a larger audience for years now, so I'm not surprised that there's a interwebz meltdown going on now.

Like MOS mentioned, by every objective measure we have The Black Panther movie is not just a hit but phenomenon, but objective measures aren't enough for gatekeeping nerds and kind of never have been.

To a hilarious degree.
    And what's even worse is that they're flipping out over BP winning a nomination, it's not even the actual award itself. This is combined with the fact that many within Nerd Culture prefer Avengers Infinity War where the black characters
    had among the lowest screen times just because their edgelords that thrive on evil winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    I’ll admit that while Black Panther is one of the more overhyped comic book films, it’s nomination makes more sense than the Dark Knight’s (aka. The Metaphor And Symbolism Expository Sledgehammer of Deepness).
    The dark knight is less of a CBM and more of a crime drama.....which makes sense when you consider it was influenced by films like heat