Page 175 of 827 FirstFirst ... 75125165171172173174175176177178179185225275675 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,625 of 12392
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It's just a harmless thought experiment someone posted online. It's not like we'll be getting a movie about black Batman, it's just an idea someone had kicking around in their head and thought to share. No harm meant by it.
    It's kind of a lazy experiment though...as the writer himself points out, we already have this character, the Supreme Power universe Nighthawk.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Writer David Walker starts his own comic company

https://www.newsarama.com/43797-davi...mNSkTOxePUTRe0
    "Bitter Root" is really good. I'm a little surprised it doesn't get more attention.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It's kind of a lazy experiment though...as the writer himself points out, we already have this character, the Supreme Power universe Nighthawk.
    I wouldn't call it lazy given how much thought the author put into the idea of black Bruce Wayne. Even ignoring the similarities to Supreme Power Nighthawk (who is also a racebent version of an existing white character) I don't see why proposing this idea would stop obscure black characters that haven't appeared in movies or t.v. shows as matthew claimed.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-11-2019 at 04:53 AM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I wouldn't call it lazy given how much thought the author put into the idea of black Bruce Wayne. Even ignoring the similarities to Supreme Power Nighthawk (who is also a racebent version of an existing white character) I don't see why proposing this idea would stop obscure black characters that haven't appeared in movies or t.v. shows as matthew claimed.
    Oh, I don't think that it would prevent the use of obscure minority characters. I just think that it's funny what he came up with is the same as something that already exists. It would be like me coming up with a Blue Beetle pitch that was essentially Nite-Owl from Watchmen.

Cardi B : hip-hop :: Tyler Perry : filmmaking
    Nah. Perry is an excellent filmmaker, he always has a return on his costs, doesn't have casting contract issues and has been able to produce for almost 20 years. Strictly as a filmmaker he has few peers and it can't be easy to direct yourself, as well as an entire film crew as much as he's done it. You'd have to pay me to sit through a movie starring the Madea character but it's just that a character, and I can and have gone on about that ****. Rappers in Hip-Hop are not as theatrical however if there is one it would be Tekashi 69's State's turning ass, he clearly was playing a character from the jump and became **** successful doing it until the Feds caught up with his stoopid ass.

Also Perry has gotta be in his 50's and Cardi is still in her twenties and their professional roles are not akin. Hip-Hop has changed way more over the past 10 years than the business of making major studio film has so that doesn't quite line up either. Also a much wider audience rocks with Cardi, good bad or indifferent than the audience that supports Tyler Perry. She performs and is pretty dope at it even if the subject matter isn't the deepest and if that's the issue than well, you can put up way more examples of jive **** than her up against... I guess fast food entertainment?
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Nah. Perry is an excellent filmmaker,
    Heh...we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Did anyone happen to catch the Grammy's last night? I normally don't watch it, but I was bored and decided to turn it on. I kept it on when I saw that BTS was there.

Anyway, I was really confused as to why Jennifer Lopez was headlining the Motown tribute. Beyond her race, I would never associate her with Motown, and she just seemed to be doing her usual Jennifer Lopez routine.
    Plus, she doesn't have the range to be singing those songs, either.

Getting back to race, they should have had a black artist headline the tribute, since I'm sure when Jennifer Lopez or any other artist of Hispanic descent needs a tribute, they're likely not going to let a black or afro-latino artist headline. Hell, they had a Dolly Parton tribute last night, and everyone was white.

Not saying, non-black people can't do a tribute to Motown, because they absolutely can, but, again, they wouldn't pull that with country or reggaeton. She could have been one of the artists they brought in to sing a song, like they had with Alicia Keys, Ne-Yo, and Smokey Robinson vs. singing a whole melody.

Should have got Janelle Monae to do it.

When I saw Cardi's music video for the first time the only thought I had was "People from Love and Hip-Hop actually make music?" Sure you see them in the booth, but before Cardi I never saw a finished product.

Astonishing Member

I love all of the tears folks are shedding for Childish Gambino winning record and song of the year. Though It's odd that this dude has literally disappeared. It kind of reminds me of what David Chappelle did after he hit that degree of success.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    I love all of the tears folks are shedding for Childish Gambino winning record and song of the year. Though It's odd that this dude has literally disappeared. It kind of reminds me of what David Chappelle did after he hit that degree of success.
    Stop me if I'm mistaken, maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but isn't CG the guy who played Lando in Solo?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

25-Year-Old Kenyan Invents Smart Gloves That Convert Sign Language Into Audio Speech

https://www.boredpanda.com/signio-sm...mpaign=organic

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Stop me if I'm mistaken, maybe I'm thinking of someone else, but isn't CG the guy who played Lando in Solo?

Yes, that was him.

Extraordinary Member

Cardi B : hip-hop :: Tyler Perry : filmmaking
    Meh.

If its an outrage that Cardi got the Female solo Rap Grammy before say Nicki its a bigger outrage than anybody got a Female solo Rap Grammy before Missy Elliot did.

There really aren't a lot of female rappers anymore are there? What happened to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    There really aren't a lot of female rappers anymore are there? What happened to them?
    They out there, the kids know how to find them. The whole music industry and how we find talent is all on the interwebz now and you hop on a wave and maybe it coasts or mostly maybe it don't. Lots of people like Young MA, not me so much but... I'd rather have Cardi features and the occasional song than all the years Nikki was getting best this and that.

BTW, did anybody realize that Lil' Kim was 16 when she posed for that squatting poster back when she first came out?? I mean I was young at the time too but... things change. Prolly won't see any Bahamadia's for the foreseeable future. Not saying all young female rappers have to be disgusting with the lines but if you lived it, it kinds helps sad to say.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    They out there, the kids know how to find them. The whole music industry and how we find talent is all on the interwebz now and you hop on a wave and maybe it coasts or mostly maybe it don't. Lots of people like Young MA, not me so much but... I'd rather have Cardi features and the occasional song than all the years Nikki was getting best this and that.

BTW, did anybody realize that Lil' Kim was 16 when she posed for that squatting poster back when she first came out?? I mean I was young at the time too but... things change. Prolly won't see any Bahamadia's for the foreseeable future. Not saying all young female rappers have to be disgusting with the lines but if you lived it, it kinds helps sad to say.
    I legit thought she was older back then. Yikes.

Either you are hot with bars AND are willing to sexualize yourself to a near cartoonish degree ( and have the looks/personality for that gambit) or you end up like Jean Grea and Bahamidia. At best.

The days of the regular girl next door rapping might have ended with the 90's Unless you are White and you can eke out a Krewshawn like career performing for drunk college kids.

And for a youngster on the come up maybe being at best a niche act doesn't sound so appealing except to a contrarian. So if you can sing you do that instead..