Page 344 of 827 FirstFirst ... 244294334340341342343344345346347348354394444 ... LastLast
Results 5,146 to 5,160 of 12392

Lucasfilm posts in support of John Boyega at Black Lives Matter protests today.

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1268317283144753152

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Lucasfilm posts in support of John Boyega at Black Lives Matter protests today.

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1268317283144753152
    Shame they never supported him in their movies

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Ha Dayum! Kinda Early for that much Truth
    GrindrStone(D)

Ultimate Member

The amount of hypocrisy by Star Wars is so disgusting.

Where were they when John was catching it from everybody for taking a role-he had to fight for. Abrams wanted him and John went through more auditions than anyone else.

Speaking on hypocrisy-I find it very HYPOCRITICAL to see certain business and companies supporting fighting racism and all that.

Archie Comics-POC have not fared well at Archie since 2009. All they have been is background and support cast. Chuck Clayton still has not been seen in the main Archie book for now 11 years. No POC has had a new story written and PRINTED (Chuck had one by Alex Simmons removed from a book) with them as the lead.

CW still has issues with black males and no way a black girl with a resume like Vanessa's should be the lowest paid. The black girls on that show have done more than the majority of the teen characters especially the guy playing Archie. A clean cut Chuck Clayton can't be used but we build up Mad Dog-a black stereotype.

WWE-do we even need to go there. Kofi has to beg for the world title?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The amount of hypocrisy by Star Wars is so disgusting.

Where were they when John was catching it from everybody for taking a role-he had to fight for. Abrams wanted him and John went through more auditions than anyone else.

Speaking on hypocrisy-I find it very HYPOCRITICAL to see certain business and companies supporting fighting racism and all that.

Archie Comics-POC have not fared well at Archie since 2009. All they have been is background and support cast. Chuck Clayton still has not been seen in the main Archie book for now 11 years. No POC has had a new story written and PRINTED (Chuck had one by Alex Simmons removed from a book) with them as the lead.

CW still has issues with black males and no way a black girl with a resume like Vanessa's should be the lowest paid. The black girls on that show have done more than the majority of the teen characters especially the guy playing Archie. A clean cut Chuck Clayton can't be used but we build up Mad Dog-a black stereotype.

WWE-do we even need to go there. Kofi has to beg for the world title?
    Kofi had the title for what, 3 or 4 months before losing it to Brock Lesnar in 11 seconds?

Thats both Vince being racist AND a poorly run buisness. Over in the wrestling section most people agree that Lesnae wasnt worth it and hasn't really done well in years.

Riverdale EP Apologizes to Vanessa Morgan, Promising to Better Honor 'All of Our Actors and Characters of Color'

Riverdale executive producer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa has responded to actress Vanessa Morgan‘s recent social media posts about negative portrayals of Black people in media — including the very CW drama on which she is a series regular.

The actress specifically addressed Riverdale two days later, writing, “Too bad I’m the only black series regular but also paid the least. Girl I could go on for days.” She also defended Riverdale-turned-Katy Keene star Ashleigh Murray in a tweet, saying, “Maybe the show should write for [Josie] like the white characters.”

Morgan’s fans rallied on Twitter, getting #hearvanessamorgan to trend on Thursday. In response to the public outcry, Aguirre-Sacasa posted the following message to his social media accounts on Thursday night:

“We hear Vanessa. We love Vanessa. She’s right. We’re sorry and we make the same promise to you that we did to her. We will do better to honor her and the character she plays. As well as all of our actors and characters of color. CHANGE is happening and will continue to happen. Riverdale will get bigger, not smaller. Riverdale will be part of the movement, not outside it. All of the Riverdale writers made a donation to [Black Lives Matter], but we know where the work must happen for us. In the writers’ room.”
    https://tvline.com/2020/06/04/riverd...ull-statement/

Shame they minimized him in the poster for China
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

So I made the mistake of going on Twitter just now. Starting to remember why I don't care for social media.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoshHarri...12563153207297
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Not to be overly pessimistic but there are some quantitative realities about much of the strong (and frankly surprising) levels of protests having gone on the past week. Black people are just, not, everywhere in America (physically), Hispanics maybe, j/k (sort of). I am saying all this just in case there are questions but afraid to ask on some level- It takes a strong stomach to really understand American History, hell, there are a large number of Black People who find no merit in subjecting themselves atrocities of the recent past. That's not really me but I get that, I understand it. Montgomery, Alabama is the location of The Legacy (Lynching) Museum and my God, talk about taking your work home with you. I can donate but having no earthly desire to ever want to step foot in Alabama, museum or not, so I get it.

For brevity's sake understanding some American History doesn't have to mean going back to the middle passage. Start at Jim Crow if it's easy, it was a reality for a hundred plus years and just because President Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act, 55 short years ago mind you, does not mean attitudes changed like the flip of a light switch. Attitudes begat offspring that begat more attitudes and in so much of the country there ain't to reason to yield to any change in thinking when it comes to black folks, when in your reality, they're only images on television back in the day. In the 80s, because of where I lived we were products of school bussing, again, I'm not 80 years old.

In 1973, IPS having taken no significant steps towards desegregation, the district court asserted jurisdiction over the issue. Judge Dillin of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana ordered a one-way busing system to force IPS and the township schools to integrate.
    We've been living through this. THANKFULLY, the white kids where we got sent to township school back in the day in large part never gave us much problems. We had Optimus Prime and that kind of unified us... tuh, capitalism saves. So at it's most basic, America became America on the basis of macro inequality and baby that engine has been humming. Like any engine it takes several other parts to do what they are supposed to do to make it work as a whole. Only thing that will make this engine stall imo is visibility in the macro, by the macro majority of inequality. George Floyd's visualization was a dozen other names the past 10 years and many more unseen but the juxtaposition between those armed 'liberators' in Michigan only what, a month ago was way too real for too many in the macro I believe.

I don't know where this is all going, in the micro, in the macro... they all fall but for now there are A LOT of unequal structural pieces that have kept this engine humming for a couple hundred years now, if you replace a system you have to have one to replace it and that is not a change that will be quick or smooth everywhere at the same time. The darkest days are ahead I'm afraid.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Kofi had the title for what, 3 or 4 months before losing it to Brock Lesnar in 11 seconds?
    Yeah they couldn't have Kofi as champ as Smackdown moved to mainstream tv on Fox. It was okay for cable.

And to give it to Brock? Who is barely there?

And who does Shelton have to sleep with to get a shot? Of the long time black vets-he's held every title except the world title of a brand and only got a **** at ECW's title on PPV.

While Jay Lethal and Darius Carter have. Darius Carter held a world title for a year and beat everybody including the faces of TNA and AEW.

Oh and Dc has already failed in their commitment to blacks.

Mr Terrific (Holt) turns 23 and Static is 27 years old this month.

Forgot-Static Shock cartoon turns 20 this year.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Not to be overly pessimistic but there are some quantitative realities about much of the strong (and frankly surprising) levels of protests having gone on the past week. Black people are just, not, everywhere in America (physically), Hispanics maybe, j/k (sort of). I am saying all this just in case there are questions but afraid to ask on some level- It takes a strong stomach to really understand American History, hell, there are a large number of Black People who find no merit in subjecting themselves atrocities of the recent past. That's not really me but I get that, I understand it. Montgomery, Alabama is the location of The Legacy (Lynching) Museum and my God, talk about taking your work home with you. I can donate but having no earthly desire to ever want to step foot in Alabama, museum or not, so I get it.

For brevity's sake understanding some American History doesn't have to mean going back to the middle passage. Start at Jim Crow if it's easy, it was a reality for a hundred plus years and just because President Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act, 55 short years ago mind you, does not mean attitudes changed like the flip of a light switch. Attitudes begat offspring that begat more attitudes and in so much of the country there ain't to reason to yield to any change in thinking when it comes to black folks, when in your reality, they're only images on television back in the day. In the 80s, because of where I lived we were products of school bussing, again, I'm not 80 years old.

We've been living through this. THANKFULLY, the white kids where we got sent to township school back in the day in large part never gave us much problems. We had Optimus Prime and that kind of unified us... tuh, capitalism saves. So at it's most basic, America became America on the basis of macro inequality and baby that engine has been humming. Like any engine it takes several other parts to do what they are supposed to do to make it work as a whole. Only thing that will make this engine stall imo is visibility in the macro, by the macro majority of inequality. George Floyd's visualization was a dozen other names the past 10 years and many more unseen but the juxtaposition between those armed 'liberators' in Michigan only what, a month ago was way too real for too many in the macro I believe.

I don't know where this is all going, in the micro, in the macro... they all fall but for now there are A LOT of unequal structural pieces that have kept this engine humming for a couple hundred years now, if you replace a system you have to have one to replace it and that is not a change that will be quick or smooth everywhere at the same time. The darkest days are ahead I'm afraid.
    About those guys in Michigan...

The history of this country it violent as hell. Going back as far as the Boston Tea Party if you wanted something bad enough it came down to assault.

The Confederacy wanted to hold on to it's free labor, we still remember John Brown because he literally took no prisoners and don't get me started on reconstruction.

Or the Unions.

Now much of this might depend on whether or not you see MLK's non violent approach as an appeal to morality or the shock value of Americans seeing Black People getting water cannon, tear gassed every day back when there were only 3 news channels and you couldn't pick the version of the News you got depending on how you saw the world.

Black folk are the only people who get told to deny violence. For the rest of the country pretty much it's the first damn option.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    About those guys in Michigan...

The history of this country it violent as hell. Going back as far as the Boston Tea Party if you wanted something bad enough it came down to assault.

The Confederacy wanted to hold on to it's free labor, we still remember John Brown because he literally took no prisoners and don't get me started on reconstruction.

Or the Unions.

Now much of this might depend on whether or not you see MLK's non violent approach as an appeal to morality or the shock value of Americans seeing Black People getting water cannon, tear gassed every day back when there were only 3 news channels and you couldn't pick the version of the News you got depending on how you saw the world.

Black folk are the only people who get told to deny violence. For the rest of the country pretty much it's the first damn option.
    There's a clip trending where Candance Owens claims that blacks are the only race that will go to bat for those who are the worst of our community. I was like are you kidding? American folklore and pop culture is full of the deification of white criminals from Jessie James to Sons of Anarchy. Then there's Asian action films...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    There's a clip trending where Candance Owens claims that blacks are the only race that will go to bat for those who are the worst of our community. I was like are you kidding? American folklore and pop culture is full of the deification of white criminals from Jessie James to Sons of Anarchy. Then there's Asian action films...
    REALLY????

I would run out of black thug life movies before I run out of white criminal movies to watch. I have seen so many gangsta white girl movies from 1950 alone.

We saw pure BULLYING to get the Snyder Cut. Don't get me started on comicsgate.

But folks are scared of US?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Candace Owen's is either a liar or culturally illiterate. James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart and George Raft became house hold names because of gangster movies.

Forget ancient history how about the Sopranos and Breaking Bad and all those movies where if a White person really, really wants money badly enough and manages to get enough of it HE'S THE HERO.

It was the Police that worked the mob beat who noted that the Brando mob movies might as well have been a recruiting tool for the actual effect they had.

And didn't we all just live through like a decade of Hiesenberg quotables?

And more to the point fiction aside, if you lived in New York back in the 90's you might remember John Gotti being hailed as a "Man of the People" in certain areas and people bragging about being "connected" in those same places.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 06-05-2020 at 06:32 PM.