Page 306 of 824 FirstFirst ... 206256296302303304305306307308309310316356406806 ... LastLast
Results 4,576 to 4,590 of 12353
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    Little different. We get to see things operate from a superhero's perspective. So if they're acting a little rushed or even more aggressive than normal, it's usually not on innocent individuals who end up getting shot in their own bedrooms because the superhero might've had a problem with professionalism or race in the past.

But when a super hero does behave poorly, you'll get people who justify it and those who are abhorred by it. Just like we do with police officers.
    Eh the last few decades of comics have definitely skewed more toward anti-heroes who do all sorts of brutal and immoral stuff and rarely face consequences for it in-story or get much fan backlash.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Eh the last few decades of comics have definitely skewed more toward anti-heroes who do all sorts of brutal and immoral stuff and rarely face consequences for it in-story or get much fan backlash.
    Case in point: the current Daredevil run had Matt accidentally kill a criminal in a fight and rather than turn him into the police his fellow superheroes just told him to quit. Spider-Man even went as far as telling Cole North, a police detective who was against vigilantes, that superheroes are above the law and that when they screw up it should be up to other superheroes to deal with it.

A lot of things that we enjoyed as kids and have nostalgia for is really troubling if you apply any kind of logic to it. For example, GI Joe is pretty transparently just straight up propaganda for the military industrial complex, but there are a lot of people who still love the franchise despite their personal politics going the other way.
    Ehh. True dat, there were macro level problematic pretenses to GI Joe specifically, that in the middle of it due to maturity, kids might not have understood the problematic sides of things. Same time, there was messaging the capitalistic marketplace of afternoon television that it was, got right. I was the only black kid in my class due to school segregation busing that occurred well into the 1980s. To this day I've rarely had a school OR a job that required me to get up at the ungodly hour of quarter to 6 in the morning, daily, to catch a 45 minute bus ride to school. Through all that that 4th grade class where I was the unicorn I was never made to feel different, wasn't the same experiences in other classes other cats from the neighborhood had in their classes, we heard it all on that bus for that one year. I was never the black character from whatever show we decided to play (probably because Transformers G1 was the hottest thing ever at the time). I think in the 80s all of our male oriented cartoons specifically had the major running theme of teamwork despite appearances had more than a little to do with parts of our social interactions. Yes, too, our 'play' when not an organized game with a ball usually was some pretend 'fight' where sides were taken and somebody had to lose but now that I think about it, it was more about the performance rather than the perceived conflict.

Sure, at the heart most were commercials for selling toys but the little moral parables at the ends of a handful of cartoon shows from back in the late 70s through the 80s would never happen nowadays.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

... Sort of. Though I'd argue the 90's saw a tremendous backlash against the pinnacle of the concept when readers just didn't want outright killers in the comics, leading to the 2000's where anti-heroes existed (as they did in the decades before), but heroes were generally more "heroic," and tried not to kill. Not to forget that Marvel made the point of extra-judicial heroics a multi-year component of storylines with Civil War and the post-registration era, and several mentions that super teams from both big publishers tend to have some tacit or legal agreement with their respective governments to operate. It's even a huge thing with the Avengers being able to function at all from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Ehh. True dat, there were macro level problematic pretenses to GI Joe specifically, that in the middle of it due to maturity, kids might not have understood the problematic sides of things. Same time, there was messaging the capitalistic marketplace of afternoon television that it was, got right. I was the only black kid in my class due to school segregation busing that occurred well into the 1980s. To this day I've rarely had a school OR a job that required me to get up at the ungodly hour of quarter to 6 in the morning, daily, to catch a 45 minute bus ride to school. Through all that that 4th grade class where I was the unicorn I was never made to feel different, wasn't the same experiences in other classes other cats from the neighborhood had in their classes, we heard it all on that bus for that one year. I was never the black character from whatever show we decided to play (probably because Transformers G1 was the hottest thing ever at the time). I think in the 80s all of our male oriented cartoons specifically had the major running theme of teamwork despite appearances had more than a little to do with parts of our social interactions. Yes, too, our 'play' when not an organized game with a ball usually was some pretend 'fight' where sides were taken and somebody had to lose but now that I think about it, it was more about the performance rather than the perceived conflict.

Sure, at the heart most were commercials for selling toys but the little moral parables at the ends of a handful of cartoon shows from back in the late 70s through the 80s would never happen nowadays.
    Mostly because it isn't a legal requirement anymore.

For sho. Shoutout to Filmation for starting that wave with Cosby's Fat Albert tho.
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    For sho. Shoutout to Filmation for starting that wave with Cosby's Fat Albert tho.
    Big time. Sorta wish some of the cartoon companies still felt a responsibility to its viewers on that front. We get shows from Disney and stuff, but those are aimed at a much younger audience.

BANNED

A key component to a lot of "nerd" media, whether that be superheroes, fantasy, sci-fi, or whatever, is the idea of returning to a simpler time when you knew who the good guys and bad guys were, and all problems could be solved by punching them hard enough. Obviously in a children's cartoon, you don't really have much room for nuance, but even in stuff that's meant for older audiences fans tend to decry any attempt to challenge the basic paradigm as unwanted politicization, because that tends to bring in too many real world issues which ruins the escapist element.

The Chinese release of Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood has been abruptly cancelled, following an appeal by Bruce Lee’s daughter over the film’s controversial depiction of her father.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Shannon Lee directly appealed to China’s National Film Administration to pull the film’s release and demand that Tarantino edit the film to depict her father in a more positive light.

As a result of Lee’s appeal, the 25 October release of the film has been indefinitely put on hold, with the film’s Chinese backers Bona Film Group “frantically working with Tarantino” to alter the film.

The work is described as “a last-minute scramble” that has seen Tarantino and Bona editing the film in a rush in order to get release approval from the National Film Administration. If they sign off on the changes, the 25 October release date may stick.
    Boom.
    10char
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Actually it is a legal requirement. That was started back in 1993 or 94.

Shows had to have some educational portion in them that you aimed for kids on broadcast networks.
    Take Saved By the Bell The New Class season 1-2, Hang Time season 1 & California Dreams versus Saved by the Bell New Class seasons 3-7 & Hang Time 2-6.

There is a HUGE difference in the moral parables in them. The comedy aspect was NEVER overshadowed by the moral parables in the Saved by the Bell, The New Class, Hang Time & California Dreams. It was in your face in the later seasons of New Class, Hang Time, One World & City Guys. Just Deal tried to veer from it.

Now despite that rule-some networks got away with not doing it.

Disney just took shows that aired on cable and tossed them on Saturday mornings.
    CBS did the same with As Told by Ginger and eventually farming out air time to another network.
    NBC did the same with Discovery Kids.
    Fox just imported shows from Japan and depending on where you live you got Static Shock, Legion, Between The Lions, Malibu USA & Batman Beyond.

The funny part in that law was you had shows already doing it by CHOICE.

Filmation, Superfriends, Fat Alert, Muppet Babies and others were already doing it.

As McDuffie said you just write your stories without preaching to your audience.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Actually it is a legal requirement. That was started back in 1993 or 94.

Shows had to have some educational portion in them that you aimed for kids on broadcast networks.
    Take Saved By the Bell The New Class season 1-2, Hang Time season 1 & California Dreams versus Saved by the Bell New Class seasons 3-7 & Hang Time 2-6.

There is a HUGE difference in the moral parables in them. The comedy aspect was NEVER overshadowed by the moral parables in the Saved by the Bell, The New Class, Hang Time & California Dreams. It was in your face in the later seasons of New Class, Hang Time, One World & City Guys. Just Deal tried to veer from it.

Now despite that rule-some networks got away with not doing it.

Disney just took shows that aired on cable and tossed them on Saturday mornings.
    CBS did the same with As Told by Ginger and eventually farming out air time to another network.
    NBC did the same with Discovery Kids.
    Fox just imported shows from Japan and depending on where you live you got Static Shock, Legion, Between The Lions, Malibu USA & Batman Beyond.

The funny part in that law was you had shows already doing it by CHOICE.

Filmation, Superfriends, Fat Alert, Muppet Babies and others were already doing it.

As McDuffie said you just write your stories without preaching to your audience.
    I knew it was legal once, I didn't know it was still a law. lol

Extraordinary Member

Huh. Learn something new every day.

I remember the morals that got put in every episode of
    Cosby Kids and the Super Friends telling you what to do if
    there was a fire.

I knew there was a law encouraging that kind of content.

I just thought it was enacted in the 70's...

"Get Out" star Daniel Kaluuya will be producing a movie about that menace to society Barney the dinosaur.

“Barney was a ubiquitous figure in many of our childhoods, then he disappeared into the shadows, left misunderstood. We’re excited to explore this compelling modern-day hero and see if his message of ‘I love you, you love me’ can stand the test of time.”
    https://www.slashfilm.com/new-barney-movie/

Good luck, Kaluuya. You'll need it.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

We already had a Barney movie back in early 2000's

"The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Regina King don't sleep. She's great so far in Watchmen, and she's with Black Manta...
    The use Black Wall Street burning in the onset is gonna lead to some bruised feelings from that segment of the fandom. Looks good so far.
    You bet yer ass.