Page 386 of 826 FirstFirst ... 286336376382383384385386387388389390396436486 ... LastLast
Results 5,776 to 5,790 of 12390
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    I'm going to assume you mean on tv? Because these type of stories have existed in print for a long time.
    Well of course they do in print with all the independent artist out there. But something on a bigger scale is rare.

Theme song for my character MYTH SMITH, by David Gueringer. Lyrics are at the youtube link

HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Pretty good video wish she brought up Monet & Moonstar whitewashing aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    Pretty good video wish she brought up Monet & Moonstar whitewashing aswell.
    True, it is bad with Monet ... probably even worse than with Roberto, she's a character I could see some fans not even realizing she was not always white.

Similarly, one I feel like I never really see anyone talk about is Apocalypse. I know he's a villain, but whatever, the guy is a major character. And he was originally black. But, his clone in the comics somehow comes out with completely white skin and straight hair ... and Apocalypse himself has been some weird bluish-grey tint in the comics for so long, no one even batted an eye when a white guy was cast to play him in the movie.

I mean, I've honestly never even been a big fan of Apocalypse; it's always seemed like all of his character really just boiled down to "over-powered and for some reason evil" without much more nuance to it. But, he is a major super villain ... and should be like the only black one, except at some point they just kind of forgot he was black.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Melina makes a lot of great points here.

Bringing up the New Mutants example and Josh Boone's thought process when casting Sunspot just defined systemic racism. He said he wanted someone to represent Brazil the best and in his mind, that's a rich white guy. Casting the "best person for the role" which involves changing the character's race is just bullshit and has been used to exclude people of color from roles for a very long time. Seriously, did he consider casting people of color for Rahne's or Guthrie's character? Or even an ethnic minority of Illyana? Nonsense.

Talking about the X-men overall..*sigh*...I've long argued that some X-men characters have been whitewashed over time. Not to mention that after a while, the major minority characters in the team were shunted to the side for Cyclops, Wolverine, Emma Frost and Jean Grey for years. Storm being described as looking like "all the races of the world" (this plus Chris Claremount weird fetishes in X-men is a discussion in and of itself) just speaks to how racists and even colorists believe dark skinned black women can't really be viewed as beautiful. I've always seen Storm as looking like Angela Bassett or Naomi Campbell or going further back like Grace Jones (especially with that mohawk). But over time writers seemed to make her look less and less like a pure African. Same with Monet, i got so confused that i had to ask in the X-thread some years back if Monet is still of African descent.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    True, it is bad with Monet ... probably even worse than with Roberto, she's a character I could see some fans not even realizing she was not always white.

Similarly, one I feel like I never really see anyone talk about is Apocalypse. I know he's a villain, but whatever, the guy is a major character. And he was originally black. But, his clone in the comics somehow comes out with completely white skin and straight hair ... and Apocalypse himself has been some weird bluish-grey tint in the comics for so long, no one even batted an eye when a white guy was cast to play him in the movie.

I mean, I've honestly never even been a big fan of Apocalypse; it's always seemed like all of his character really just boiled down to "over-powered and for some reason evil" without much more nuance to it. But, he is a major super villain ... and should be like the only black one, except at some point they just kind of forgot he was black.
    Did they ever confirm if Apocalypse was a black Egyptian or just Arab?

His son/clone Evan's whitewashing is worse imo.

Sad but true, I gave up on Apocalypse not being whitewash it just feels like a battle that won’t be won..

Ultimate Member

When did DC Comics buy the rights to Judge from Miles Morales?

And since when did DC troll?

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/chri...-comic-for-dc/

Today DC Comics has launched a new digital-first comic book, called Represent! The first issue is free and available now, It's a Bird by Christian Cooper and Alitha E. Martinez. You may recognise Christian Cooper as the former Marvel Comics editor and Star Trek comics writer accosted in New York's Central Park while birdwatching, with threats that the person would call the police and tell them that an "African American man" was threatening her, with all that this implied. The event received national coverage and was a contributing factor to the rise of the #BlackLivesMatter movement.

I am sure a certain person will bash Daniel Cherry over this because she is determined to make everyone think he is the worst hire ever.

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Did they ever confirm if Apocalypse was a black Egyptian or just Arab?

His son/clone Evan's whitewashing is worse imo.
    Oh, I don't know ... honestly, I feel like there was some ethnic drift going on with Apocalypse, even by the time they started filling in the Egyptian backstory stuff. I just recall that from his very earliest appearances as the arch villain for the original X-Factor, he basically looked like a supervillain version of Tiny Lister.

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    Sad but true, I gave up on Apocalypse not being whitewash it just feels like a battle that won’t be won..
    Yeah, probably won't be ... still irritating, tho! I feel like the people (like the director from New Mutants) who make correcting this stuff impossible end up falling back to an argument of claiming it doesn't matter ... except, if it doesn't matter so much, why did you change it in the first place??
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Oh, I don't know ... honestly, I feel like there was some ethnic drift going on with Apocalypse, even by the time they started filling in the Egyptian backstory stuff. I just recall that from his very earliest appearances as the arch villain for the original X-Factor, he basically looked like a supervillain version of Tiny Lister.

Yeah, probably won't be ... still irritating, tho! I feel like the people (like the director from New Mutants) who make correcting this stuff impossible end up falling back to an argument of claiming it doesn't matter ... except, if it doesn't matter so much, why did you change it in the first place??

Facts he used to look just like Tiny...

Ultimate Member

Hmm..Deebo as Apocalypse.

That’s terrifying.

I forget sometimes No Holds Barred came out in '87 so there is some pre-dating to Lister's Deebo-type.

Ethnic... Drift though, brilliant. Even more so if when you see finally see the guys picture who voiced him in the 90s FOX series like me.

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

https://shadowandact.com/tyler-perry...odes-in-4-days

“Camp Quarantine" has concluded at Tyler Perry Studios for the second seasons of four of his BET Networks originals: The Oval, Sistas, Ruthless and Bruh. The former two air on BET, while the later two air on BET+.

Per Deadline, overall, 82 episodes of the shows were filmed in just 32 shoot days. There were 51 days of quarantine. Show-wise, Bruh was the last to wrap, shooting 19 episodes of television in only four days. Sistas, the first to wrap, will be back on BET in October.
    Not one person tested positive.

The cast for the new season of Power Rangers is shaping up to be the most diverse season ever! I think Turbo/In Space currently holds the title as most diverse season (Asian Pink, Latino Yellow, Latino Green/Black, Black Red/Blue). The rumored cast for Dino Fury includes a Blasian actor (rumored for Red), two Latinos (rumored for Green and Black), an Asian (rumored for Blue) a White girl (rumored for Pink) and a Black Guy (rumored for Gold).

PS: The rumored Green Ranger is drop dead gorgeous!