Page 308 of 824 FirstFirst ... 208258298304305306307308309310311312318358408808 ... LastLast
Results 4,606 to 4,620 of 12354

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    What book is it ?
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post

Several people on facebook have posted this pic. Supposedly it's Storm and those posting it are understandably perplexed by the coloring choice. My question for anyone who is reading whatever book this is from: was she colored this way consistently throughout the book or was this just a screwed up panel?
    Now I'm having Alexandra Shipp social media flashbacks....crap.

I was just reading through JLA #181 (1980), which I recently bought from a back issue bin. It's the issue where Green Arrow quits the team. But here's how it relates to this thread. There's a scene where the Star Tsar tries to kidnap a disco singer named, Donna Winter, obviously a play on Donna Summer, but she's depicted as a white woman with blond hair. So I thought, imagine the backlash if the internet had existed in 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I was just reading through JLA #181 (1980), which I recently bought from a back issue bin. It's the issue where Green Arrow quits the team. But here's how it relates to this thread. There's a scene where the Star Tsar tries to kidnap a disco singer named, Donna Winter, obviously a play on Donna Summer, but she's depicted as a white woman with blond hair. So I thought, imagine the backlash if the internet had existed in 1980.

I feel there were a couple of Disco 'stars' back in the day. Yvonne Elfman had a big hit but she wasn't a blonde at all, Toni Tennille wasn't a blonde either but she was white. There was only 1 Queen of Disco and by the time Allison Blaire came along in late 1979, I doubt there was a question whom she was modeled and race bent after. I'm not familiar with the JLA Donna Winter story but no doubt in name only, it can be taken as the slightest course correction the industry at the time would make. Seems like they dropped right behind one another.

Several people on facebook have posted this pic. Supposedly it's Storm and those posting it are understandably perplexed by the coloring choice. My question for anyone who is reading whatever book this is from: was she colored this way consistently throughout the book or was this just a screwed up panel?
    Nothing about that says Ororo to me. Nothing. Change the hair to green and it looks more like Lorna than anybody.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

The Storm pic is from Hickman's book and she does not look like that throughout. It's a weird lighting choice.

Ultimate Member

I have seen everything now on Twitter.

How do you threaten to fire employees over a comic book character? Because Cap Marvel is a woman. Never mind 3 women have held that title.

The book in question is Marauders #1.

If folks had read it, they would know that the panel posted(and one other) take place on ship's deck during a "Red"/"Purple" sort of a sunset.

Personally, don't see the issue and I didn't feel like that panel represented the entire book.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I have seen everything now on Twitter.

How do you threaten to fire employees over a comic book character? Because Cap Marvel is a woman. Never mind 3 women have held that title.
    Can you give us a link? I don't doubt you, I'd just like to read it. It sounds so crazy.

Is this a comic store owner? How do you even know what comics an employee is buying unless they tell you for some reason?

On the cover Storm is presented in her chocolate goodness but as the book progresses she gets lighter and lighter...yeah I guess the lighting is weird...I know nothing about coloring or art but if a book can keep the right shade of brown for Iceman's hair or different colors to differentiate between Emma Frost and Pyro maintaining the melanin for Storm shouldn't be so hard
    GrindrStone(D)

I loved the Wayans Show. Pops was the best part.

Just damn...

That's a terrible loss the passing of John Witherspoon, damn. I've still got my VHS copy of Boomerang somewhere I bought when I wanna say 16.

Over the laat 50, fuckin, years of American television and movies man, Black fathers are the smallest demo of all of them.
    John Amos,
    Bill Cosby,
    Sherman Hemsley,
    Reginald Van Johnson(who I prefer to remember from Die Hard),
    Redd Foxx,
    That's the list. Witherspoon had more run than ANY of them.

The line from Friday- "Why is it...(licks his fingers) everytime I come in the kitchen, you in the kitchen?" Is a callback I use a couple times a year still. The old Richard Pryor roast are on YT if you want to go back and see how hilarious he was when he was young. Grandad Freeman... That's a tough one, RIP.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Extraordinary Member

First time I saw John Witherspoon was in the film "Hollywood Shuffle" (which was kinda a precursor for "In Living Color".

Garden tools gotta eat, too!

Extraordinary Member

John Witherspoon beats Jim Ross with color commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    That's a terrible loss the passing of John Witherspoon, damn. I've still got my VHS copy of Boomerang somewhere I bought when I wanna say 16.

Over the laat 50, fuckin, years of American television and movies man, Black fathers are the smallest demo of all of them.
    John Amos,
    Bill Cosby,
    Sherman Hemsley,
    Reginald Van Johnson(who I prefer to remember from Die Hard),
    Redd Foxx,
    That's the list. Witherspoon had more run than ANY of them.

The line from Friday- "Why is it...(licks his fingers) everytime I come in the kitchen, you in the kitchen?" Is a callback I use a couple times a year still. The old Richard Pryor roast are on YT if you want to go back and see how hilarious he was when he was young. Grandad Freeman... That's a tough one, RIP.
    Reginald Van Johnson actually appeared in a movie my friend from college directed. I should have asked him what it was like to work with him. I bet he was nice.

R.I.P. John Witherspoon. First thing I remember seeing him in was the first of the "Robert Townsend & His Partners in Crime" comedy specials that used to come on hbo. I saw that before Hollywood Shuffle.

Also it's Veljohnson, fellas.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store