Page 637 of 824 FirstFirst ... 137537587627633634635636637638639640641647687737 ... LastLast
Results 9,541 to 9,555 of 12354
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Only way to cancel people who cry about cancel culture is to ignore them and let them scream into the void.

Which is why I said the protests had the wrong affect of giving the thing they are protesting a megaphone.

I don't even remember one statement or joke from the Dave netflix special before this one....
    Thing is, they don't scream into the void...they scream into Fox, CNN, MSNBC and every other platform...to complain about how they supposedly don't have a platform...

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Thing is, they don't scream into the void...they scream into Fox, CNN, MSNBC and every other platform...to complain about how they supposedly don't have a platform...
    In this case, no, he wouldn't have.

People would have talked about it for a week max and moved on because people have short as heck memories these days.

It came out 3ish weeks ago. Peopel don't even talk about full blown major box office movies for more than a couple weeks these days. Venom 2 came out roughly the same time and nobody cares anymore lol

They are protesting for something to be removed that would have been forgotten if they weren't protesting ot have it removed.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Not in those exact words, but that's the implication when some folks go on about "silencing" and what not. And to Tendrin's point, there's been a few people who actually have been banned from a couple of social media sites for racial things and no one is clutching their pearls about these guys, yet a more famous dude mocking trans folks...
    Those are two very different scenarios.
    Last edited by Username taken; 10-24-2021 at 05:30 PM.

Ultimate Member

People would have talked about it for a week max and moved on because people have short as heck memories these days.

It came out 3ish weeks ago. Peopel don't even talk about full blown major box office movies for more than a couple weeks these days. Venom 2 came out roughly the same time and nobody cares anymore lol

They are protesting for something to be removed that would have been forgotten if they weren't protesting ot have it removed.
    I would agree in most cases, but in this particular case I don't know. Dave is the most popular comedian of his generation so of course he's got eyes on him. He's weighting in on a topic that's gotten real world contentious to the point of people passing anti-transgender laws. I don't know if you can say if people should have ignored his comments and it wouldn't have been such a big deal.

I mean, yeah...Dave himself isn't going to jump on Fox News and write book about people being "triggered" or "PC out of control" but it's the latest career move for a lot of folks. Go on mainstream media and pretend you can't say things...as you're getting paid to say them.
    Last edited by ed2962; 10-24-2021 at 06:27 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Those are two very different scenarios.
    Are they? Dave hasn't even been kicked of any platform. But Alt-Right guys like Stephen Molyneux and Nick Fuentes have been banned from You Tube and Facebook and we're a lot less worried about their access to platforms and ability to make money. I not saying that Dave went into the area of hate speech, but Fuentes and Molyneux's fans would probably say the same.

Not getting paid to deliver transphobic comments is fine. Dave is not entitled to a paycheck to spread transphobia, anymore than anyone else is entitled to a paycheck to deliver racism or other forms of bigotry.

Dave sided with people who want to *erase trans people from existence* and questioned the validity of their identities, but sure, yeah, trans people should definitely ignore that. I want some people to think long and hard about who they sound like and whether or not they'd say the same thing if, say, Chapelle suggested that gay people weren't real and sided with people who are fine with electrocuting the testicles of gay men to make them straight.

This is more or less what he did.

But yeah, the *real* problem is trans people making noise about it and wanting a multi-millionaire to stop making their lives worse and wanting a company to not pay people to do it. Christ.

This is what I mean when I say 'since it's trans people no one gives a ****'.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 10-24-2021 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I agree. If Netflix were to remove Chapelle's specials, but then Hulu picked them up, the specials would still have been canceled by Netflix. I mean, when ABC canceled Tim Allen's sitcom, FOX picked it up and ran it for two more seasons, but ABC still canceled it, right? And if Netflix pulled Chappelle's specials and Hulu picked them up, you can bet the groups that protested Netflix would then move to protest Hulu.

So what the groups are saying is "We are not for government censorship. We are for de facto censorship by making it impossible for certain people to have a media platform." And if that's what they are saying, then they should be honest enough to admit that they are scared that if anyone hears the words of those people, it might give them an excuse to commit violence, so those people should be silenced.
    Anyone being honest with themselves knows that the violence is already happening, and I have yet to see anyone that needs an excuse to commit said violence.

That is the entire problem here.

This. If Netflix does drop Chappelle, and no other streaming service picks him up, what has really been accomplished? The groups that protested will celebrate for a day or two, and then what? Will violence against transgender individuals stop, or even become less frequent? I don't think so. I think some groups know how difficult it will be to accomplish that worthy goal, so they set up a surrogate goal of silencing someone like Dave Chappelle so they can at least have a small victory.
    Politely, you might as well be saying "There is no real point in holding a cop that murders a black man in the street accountable because it will not stop the police from murdering black men in the street. Probably won't even slow it down...."

Which does not make much sense.

Ultimate Member

Speaking of box office, it seems Eternals is getting very, VERY mixed reviews.

Some reviewers called the movie "dull".

I think I'll wait for D+ to see this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Speaking of box office, it seems Eternals is getting very, VERY mixed reviews.

Some reviewers called the movie "dull".

I think I'll wait for D+ to see this one.
    I mean, it started getting comparisons to Justice League lol

Sounds like Marvel got out of their wheelhouse a bit and it might not have worked.

None of the trailers have done ANYTHING for me, other than the Deviant designs being kinda cool. But it mostly came off as pretentious slow "meh" with wooden acting that tried to "act epic" in a sense. Hell, the two leads just seem so.... boring. More people seem interested in Jolie and Selma lol

And if introduce 10!!!! new characters as a team, how much depth can you get? JL and Xmen both had this problem and introducing a lot of heroes with little set up and it just because "a couple of heroes + their background singers with powers." GoG made it work with really defined roles to an extent. But that was only 5? characters.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

I mean, it started getting comparisons to Justice League lol

Sounds like Marvel got out of their wheelhouse a bit and it might not have worked.

None of the trailers have done ANYTHING for me, other than the Deviant designs being kinda cool. But it mostly came off as pretentious slow "meh" with wooden acting that tried to "act epic" in a sense. Hell, the two leads just seem so.... boring. More people seem interested in Jolie and Selma lol

And if introduce 10!!!! new characters as a team, how much depth can you get? JL and Xmen both had this problem and introducing a lot of heroes with little set up and it just because "a couple of heroes + their background singers with powers." GoG made it work with really defined roles to an extent. But that was only 5? characters.
    Justice League..ouch!.

Yeah, I think Marvel stretched themselves a little here. Introducing ten (10) characters into a single movie is much. The thing with Jolie is she has a natural charisma that the leads don't have (they seem a bit wooden).

I also think that Chloe Zhao sensibilities might not have been the best choice here (although she has said that some creative decisions were already laid out before she took on the project). Some of the reviews have noted just how uneven the movie is.

Astonishing Member

I heard about that. It’s surprising, there was ‘Oscar buzz’ a month ago, lol

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Politely, you might as well be saying "There is no real point in holding a cop that murders a black man in the street accountable because it will not stop the police from murdering black men in the street. Probably won't even slow it down...."

Well, if Dave Chapelle was murdering people, then that would fit…. Heck, one of Netflix hit shows at the moment is a rom-com type series about serial killers in love. Is that encouraging real people to murder?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

Don't put words in my mouth. If a cop actually murders someone, that's a felony and he should be prosecuted for it. How is what Dave Chappelle said even close to that?
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post

Well, if Dave Chapelle was murdering people, then that would fit…. Heck, one of Netflix hit shows at the moment is a rom-com type series about serial killers in love. Is that encouraging real people to murder?
    Unless that show has somehow magically become a documentary in the time since it was made?

"Apples..."/"Oranges..."

Meanwhile?

The course that Chappelle seems intent on staying on actually cements an actual climate where violence against trans folks remains no big whoop.

Never mind something that comes with actual consequences.

Don't put words in my mouth. If a cop actually murders someone, that's a felony and he should be prosecuted for it. How is what Dave Chappelle said even close to that?
    https://www.out.com/crime/2021/2/03/...violently-2021

29 Trans Americans Have Been Killed in 2021 — Most on Record
    That is the actual reality that Chappelle digging his heels in on this works to cement.

The degree to which you personally believe that the guy having to face some consequences for his role in working to cement a status quo where that violence is just "The Way It Is..." will change the violence those folks face every day?

It is essentially a non-issue.

Even a thirty-second of an inch of progress towards a world where those murders are not simply "The Way It Is..." is something that everyone should be supporting.

Not throwing out "It Won't Make Any Difference..."
    Last edited by numberthirty; 10-25-2021 at 02:05 PM.