Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
Tolkien is interesting.

As a simple fantasy, good vs evil, type of thing, I find his stuff to be awesome and I wish he was still around writing. His world building is great... I want more stories of the dwarf kingdoms, the bad men, ect. Blue Wizards please.

But then you take a deep dive into his writings (and as a person) and two things tend to happen:

1. you become obsessed and take every single sentence as a deep psychological and philosophical masterpiece and start the revere Tolkien as a God

2. You start to see the cracks in the armor, the weirdness of certain things (minorities, only being like 3 important woman), the super weird (wtf is Tom Barbidill lol), plot holes, ect. ANd you start getting sleepy.

Which, while it is heresay, I vastly vastly vastly prefer the movies. Yes, even the Hobbit, who fleshed out some characters (too much but still) so they were more than just "random dwarf name who dies #3." The sin of the Hobbit wasn't that they made a kids book into 3 movies... it was the cgi mess it turned into bc it was rushed + a random ass love triangle + despite trying to tie into LotR as much as possible, ignoring what the drwarven rings did to Thorins grandfather/father.

LOTR extended editions is better than anything Tolkien wrote

(prays there are no tolkien super fans here)
Its funny because all Peter Jackson did was trim the fat (no Bombadil) and gave Arwen something to do which meant the saga had four whole major females in it.

Also unintentionally, because Jackson was so detail oriented a person who is a not careful reader wlll realize just how racist LOTR is once they see how every fight is long haired white dudes (Good Guys) v dark skinned hordes in various levels of savagery (the Bad Guys).