Page 812 of 828 FirstFirst ... 312712762802808809810811812813814815816822 ... LastLast
Results 12,166 to 12,180 of 12408

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Like I said earlier, some prominent black people are acting funny, Kanye is perfect example.

Kanye had a very large platform with which he could build other people up, but he's recently used it to tear people down. I know Kanye has in the past really helped out some artists and even used to contribute to charitable causes but in recent years, all he's done is spread hatred. Kanye's "turn" has been very unfortunate because there was a time that he presented POVs that weren't popular with the hip-hop mainstream for a while.

If he's bi-polar like he says he is, then he has a responsibility to get himself help instead of spreading venom and hatred.
    I find Chapelle's transphobia pretty unfortunate, personally.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    I find Chapelle's transphobia pretty unfortunate, personally.
    I agree.

He's another one of those people with a platform but uses so much of it to spread hatred.

Eh, I don't agree that Chappelle is spreading hatred, and I don't know if he's actually transphobic or not. I do think that he believes that trans people are not exempt from getting joked on by a stand up comedian. NO ONE is above getting joked on, IMO. The problem with Dave is most of his trans jokes haven't been funny or even clever. But that's just my opinion, as comedy is subjective. Some of the people who are upset with him are upset because they've let him know they find his jokes offensive, and that he should stop telling them, and he has chosen not to. It doesn't help that people in the media and on social media who are transphobic are championing Dave as if he's their spokesperson or ally, when his stance IMO is about a stand up comedian's freedom to broach any subject. He also harped on the subject too long IMO over the course of several specials. At some points they were more like speeches with a few jokes thrown in.

We are in a weird place with stand up comedy in this country. When Chris Rock finally spoke about the Oscar slap on his netflix special, there were people who were upset about it. It's one thing to say it wasn't funny but some people were actually like "Will told him not to talk about his wife!!" It's mind blowing to me that people actually believe Rock was supposed to "obey" Will Smith lol. Dude is a stand up, OF COURSE he was going to talk about it. Hell, he could've sued instead.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Eh, I don't agree that Chappelle is spreading hatred, and I don't know if he's actually transphobic or not. I do think that he believes that trans people are not exempt from getting joked on by a stand up comedian. NO ONE is above getting joked on, IMO. The problem with Dave is most of his trans jokes haven't been funny or even clever. But that's just my opinion, as comedy is subjective. Some of the people who are upset with him are upset because they've let him know they find his jokes offensive, and that he should stop telling them, and he has chosen not to. It doesn't help that people in the media and on social media who are transphobic are championing Dave as if he's their spokesperson or ally, when his stance IMO is about a stand up comedian's freedom to broach any subject. He also harped on the subject too long IMO over the course of several specials. At some points they were more like speeches with a few jokes thrown in.
    The thing is that is all we hear about him. Does he have any other material?

It gets to a point of if that is all you got-sooner than later the money will STOP. Because while he can chirp that-the venues where he can do that will dry up.

Sooner or later the money stops because it becomes a distraction. Because the head of the studio can love his mess and support it but the ACCOUNTANTS who are looking at the bank book are going to say different story.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    My views on Chapelle aligned with this after his first special.

I disagreed with the criticism of him because I agree that folks are allowed to tell offensive jokes. Bill Burr does racial jokes all the time and Larry David does a fair bit of racial humor on "Curb your Enthusiasm". No group is above being joked upon.

However, Chappelle lost me when kept going back to the well over and over again. Chappelle wasn't just telling jokes; he's pretty much aligned himself with folks that are fighting to invalidate transpeople existence. Chappelle should read the room; his material is simply adding fuel to the political fires that trans-people are being held up against. He of all people knows how much transpeople are in the crosshairs right now and he really shouldn't be using his voice to fuel the hatred against them IMHO.

The worst part of all this is his stuff isn't as funny as before.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    My views on Chapelle aligned with this after his first special.

I disagreed with the criticism of him because I agree that folks are allowed to tell offensive jokes. Bill Burr does racial jokes all the time and Larry David does a fair bit of racial humor on "Curb your Enthusiasm". No group is above being joked upon.

However, Chappelle lost me when kept going back to the well over and over again. Chappelle wasn't just telling jokes; he's pretty much aligned himself with folks that are fighting to invalidate transpeople existence. Chappelle should read the room; his material is simply adding fuel to the political fires that trans-people are being held up against. He of all people knows how much transpeople are in the crosshairs right now and he really shouldn't be using his voice to fuel the hatred against them IMHO.

The worst part of all this is his stuff isn't as funny as before.
    To say nothing of shows like South Park, Family Guy, Always Sunny and Tarantino's Django and Hateful Eight.

More broadly, Chapelle has pretty pointedly shown that he considers 'LGBTQ' to be primarily a white person thing. He doesn't just erase transgender people with his jokes, he erases the experience of *black* transgender and LGBTQ people more broadly, and black transgender women are a very high risk category, unfortunately.

So, yes. He's a transphobe. He's also more broadly bigoted towards LGBTQ people in general, and he has shown that repeatedly through his career.

His wealth, fame, and the inability of anyone to tell him 'no' and corresponding loss of empathy that this brings has cost the comic not just his edge, but his actual ability to tell a funny joke.

More than half of Black transgender and nonbinary young people reported having seriously considered suicide in the past year, and more than 20 percent said they had attempted suicide, according to data released Tuesday by The Trevor Project, an LGBTQ youth suicide prevention organization.

Black LGBTQ young people experience elevated rates of discrimination related to both their race and ethnicity and their LGBTQ identities, according to Tuesday’s report, which analyzed survey responses from over 28,000 LGBTQ teens and young adults in the U.S.

For example, more than two-thirds, or 70 percent, of Black cisgender lesbian, gay, bisexual or queer (LGBQ) young people reported experiencing at least one form of discrimination related to their race, sexual orientation or gender identity or expression in the past year. Eighty-three percent of Black transgender, nonbinary or questioning youths reported the same.

More than 72 percent of Black trans youth surveyed by The Trevor Project reported experiencing two or more types of discrimination in the past year, as did 58 percent of Black cisgender LGBQ respondents.
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/more-half...185314310.html

I don't think it helps when Chapelle hangs out openly with people like Joe Rogan and Musk.

I also don't think it helps when you make jokes and you gain certain type of following afterwards. Kinda similar to when he was making black jokes and all the white people were laughign and he kinda broke down a little bit... well right now, he gained the maga crowd with these jokes.

I mean, if I am being honest, I just shrug because the bigger problem was none of it was funny the 12th time lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I don't think it helps when Chapelle hangs out openly with people like Joe Rogan and Musk.

I also don't think it helps when you make jokes and you gain certain type of following afterwards. Kinda similar to when he was making black jokes and all the white people were laughign and he kinda broke down a little bit... well right now, he gained the maga crowd with these jokes.

I mean, if I am being honest, I just shrug because the bigger problem was none of it was funny the 12th time lol
    Exactly.

He's moving with guys that...let's just say they have a problem with transpeople.

Chappelle has given a lot of talking points to the MAGA crowd.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    To say nothing of shows like South Park, Family Guy, Always Sunny and Tarantino's Django and Hateful Eight.
    With those you KNOW ahead of time what they are doing and have no issue going after everyone.

It's not targeting one set of folks.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    With those you KNOW ahead of time what they are doing and have no issue going after everyone.

It's not targeting one set of folks.
    No doubt. I was just trying to support the idea that there's lots of edgy comedy still being made. And just as Dave has a right to say whatever, other people have the right criticize him. No one's taking away his rights, but he seems to be bothered that not everyone agrees with him about everything...

And as pretty much everyone has said, the worst of it is that the guy just isn't funny, anymore.

Before his comeback, both his standup and sketch comedy, in my mind at least, already had secured him a place as one of comedy's all time greats. He didn't have anything to prove, and for all that he has never stopped crying about the 50 million, obviously it's not like he was ever anything close to destitute.

I was a huge fan of his comedy, before his "comeback". Couldn't bother to watch a minute of his last special, because it is the same unfunny, bigoted crap all over again.

I mean, I hate to see it, because I think he is/was really intelligent and capable of making brilliantly insightful comedy. But for some reason, he just transitioned into this angry rich guy who definitely punches down, for no apparent other reason than his own transphobia/homophobia and ego.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    And as pretty much everyone has said, the worst of it is that the guy just isn't funny, anymore.

Before his comeback, both his standup and sketch comedy, in my mind at least, already had secured him a place as one of comedy's all time greats. He didn't have anything to prove, and for all that he has never stopped crying about the 50 million, obviously it's not like he was ever anything close to destitute.

I was a huge fan of his comedy, before his "comeback". Couldn't bother to watch a minute of his last special, because it is the same unfunny, bigoted crap all over again.

I mean, I hate to see it, because I think he is/was really intelligent and capable of making brilliantly insightful comedy. But for some reason, he just transitioned into this angry rich guy who definitely punches down, for no apparent other reason than his own transphobia/homophobia and ego.
    a lot of comedians seem to stop being funny when they get uber succesful. The impact of wealth on your brain is an understated cause of it, I think.

Apart from the transphobia, it gets really tiring how "comedians" complain about being cancelled and not allowed to make certain jokes and then immediately proceed to make those jokes, ín a comedy special that is available for anyone who wishes to see it. Cancelled, my ass.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred