Page 578 of 827 FirstFirst ... 78478528568574575576577578579580581582588628678 ... LastLast
Results 8,656 to 8,670 of 12391

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post

This push by the GOP to whitewash American history will inevitably fail, with modern information technology it's just impossible to suppress the truth forever. .
    the modern technology has also made it so they can find "evidence" to fit their narrative as well.

Whether that evidence is Auntie Carol's facebook is irrelevant to them. "dO yOuR rEsEaRcH"

They are literally dying right now because they won't get vaccinated and still won't change.

This world is a mess...

(and then their is climate change for godsake)
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

I think some of them can't handle science not being set in stone but ever changing. They want a "strongman" to come in and save the day with rigid thinking.

Yet when they're refuted or denounced, they say "All opinions matter" or "Both sides"

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...-klan-n1274610

Technically, they didn't ban teaching the negative history of the Klan, but said that classes were no longer required to use certain curriculum that taught it ( and certain other civil rights movements ). But yeah, this is part of the hysteria over "Critical Race Theory" and most people can't even tell you what it is and why it's bad. They think it's about teaching kids that white people are evil or something. Unfortunately, it's working. Similar laws are being passing in several states. That and voting restrictions ( under the guise of "protecting voting integrity" ) show the power of propaganda.

Yet, to hear some people tell it, the real threat to free speech is celebrities getting criticized on Twitter...
    I hear a lot about CRT. It was in the news because one of the local school said they were going to teach it and people went nuts. This was 2 weeks ago. I have been to different sites and read all kinds of things that people have to say about it and to be honest I still have no clue what in the world it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    the modern technology has also made it so they can find "evidence" to fit their narrative as well.

Whether that evidence is Auntie Carol's facebook is irrelevant to them. "dO yOuR rEsEaRcH"

They are literally dying right now because they won't get vaccinated and still won't change.

This world is a mess...

This part made me kind of laugh then I stopped because of how sad it is that it is a real thing. My aunt who I have talked about many times doesnt just use Fox News as a source but also a guy on Twitter who posts all these odd as Q theories and theories I have not even heard from them because they are so wild. He claims to have proof but cant show it because he is in hiding so Biden doesnt have him killed. He is on a new account each day it seems because he keeps getting banned. To her this is a source of real news and the man is so brave to put his life on the line like that.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

This world is a mess...

I'll admit I was one of those fools who thought, "surely once information is easily accessible and people can learn things at the touch of a button then facts and the truth will win the day, and misconceptions will start to fall away". Nope, there are plenty of folk out there perfectly willing to be willfully ignorant and question anything that goes even slightly against their preferred narrative.

I scroll through the Conspiracy Subreddit partly for entertainment and partly for insight into what your typical Trump voter is thinking, and while most of the posts are on the virus and vaccine (which they seem convinced is far more dangerous than the virus, though they're unsure if it's mind control or implanting tracking chips or setting you up for another stronger virus later on or giving you Magneto powers) there's a wide range of posts attacking science as a concept. Your holy book says the Earth is a flat disc and the universe revolves around it, as the center of the universe? OK, NASA's a fraud and the Earth is flat. I don't care how many satellite images and videos from space and moon rocks you have, it's made up because it contradicts what my preacher told me. Carbon dating shows we've lived here in some form or another for hundreds of thousands of years, rather than 6,000, and the Earth itself is billions of years old with life existing far before us? Nonsense, dinosaur bones are fake and mud floods (whatever the hell that is) have buried the truth.

That's the extreme end, but it doesn't take much once you've decided reality is optional if inconvenient to your personal narrative/"truth" to jump to any conclusion you like regardless of the evidence or arguments against it. "Trust the science" has become a punchline for many folks, and the internet has been a valuable tool to share information but not necessarily facts.

Ultimate Member

The irony is these ignorant peopl act superior and bigoted to everyone else yet prove otherwise by doing this

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I think some of them can't handle science not being set in stone but ever changing. They want a "strongman" to come in and save the day with rigid thinking.
    Desire for a "well-knit community" vs. desire for a "strongman" is an interesting dynamic.

The former has the hazard of "tall poppy syndrome" and the latter has the hazard of surrendering personal agency/accountability willingly.

Then again, one could argue the former has a bit of a "groupthink" issue as well, depending on how insulated said community is.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 07-23-2021 at 07:04 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Desire for a "well-knit community" vs. desire for a "strongman" is an interesting dynamic.

The former has the hazard of "tall poppy syndrome" and the latter has the hazard of surrendering personal agency/accountability willingly.

Then again, one could argue the former has a bit of a "groupthink" issue as well, depending on how insulated said community is.
    They seem to have both, in a way. They like guys like Trump who offer simple solutions and talk down to every other demographic, yet act like they're oppressed by "cultural elites"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    They seem to have both, in a way. They like guys like Trump who offer simple solutions and talk down to every other demographic, yet act like they're oppressed by "cultural elites"
    So a form of tribalism based around an “idol” figure who attracts worship/absolute deference instead of inspiring others to be all they can be towards themselves and others is arguably among the worst situations a society can find itself in? That does make some sense.

Even Barack Obama, despite getting his share of pedestaled, larger-than-life treatment (eg. “Forever President Obama”) at least didn’t seem to intentionally go out of his way to stoke/fan that cult of personality. Whereas Donald Trump I heard considered rallies and other public displays of mass affection almost like an IV drip he needed just to survive.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 07-23-2021 at 02:27 PM.

Ultimate Member

So a form of tribalism based around an “idol” figure who attracts worship/absolute deference instead of inspires others to be all they can be towards themselves and others is arguably among the worst situations a society can find itself in? That does make some sense.
    Basically. Because it fits into a hierarchical ideology while not requiring any introspection or critical thinking, like what some "city elite" would do, even though Trump is one of the most elitist people out there.

Even Barack Obama, despite getting his share of pedestaled, larger-than-life treatment (eg. “Forever President Obama”) at least didn’t seem to intentionally go out of his way to stoke/fan that cult of personality. Whereas Donald Trump I heard considered rallies and other public displays of mass affection almost like an IV drip he needed just to survive.
    I honestly don't understand why a sitting American President needs to hold rallies.

"Wow, Tucker Carlson Is Pretty Quick to Turn on the Police Over the Insurrection, Huh?" By Lyra Hale

The host went on a rant about Capitol police officer Harry Dunn, who is set to testify before the House Select Committee investigating the events of the Capitol insurrection.

During said rant, Carlson called Officer Dunn “an angry, left-wing political activist” who is disingenuous and pretending to speak for the country’s law enforcement while having little in common with the “average cop.”

And honestly, it’s a load of garbage. Carlson and his ilk profess their love for the police day and night when the conversation is about ending racist police violence, but as soon as it’s people on their own team physically and verbally attacking police in the Capitol building, they change their tune. Worse, Carlson is intentionally drawing a line where only cops who adhere to right-wing politics are acceptable, and the rest deserve to be attacked by mobs.

And then, of course, there’s the element of race, which is surely not lost on Carlson in his attacks on Dunn. During an interview on The ReidOut with Joy Reid, Dunn said that racist slurs were hurled at him and other Black officers. So while trying to stop a violent insurrection, and while trying to protect all the politicians who have now gone on to downplay the attack on the Capitol, they had to deal with racist garbage from the insurrectionists.

The same sort of people who answered Trump’s call to protest against the democratic process and a legitimate election are likely still tuning in to watch Tucker Carlson. We all know that Tuckums has a racist audience to pander to and incite, so he goes forth with his harmful words with no regrets or real thought of the consequences that come with his words—not that we think he’d care about those consequences if he did stop to think about them.
    https://www.themarysue.com/tucker-ca...er-harry-dunn/

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    "Wow, Tucker Carlson Is Pretty Quick to Turn on the Police Over the Insurrection, Huh?" By Lyra Hale
    To you and everyone here getting "that pulsing vein in your forehead" over doublespeak like this, I humbly offer a coping method of mine: To maintain the creaky foundation that is my sanity, I ALWAYS try to remember to remember this scene from Thank You For Smoking:

It's that line at the end that's the clincher: "But I'm not after you. I'm after THEM."

Keeping "the choir" fapping to the noises they make is the name of the game, so to speak. Tucker and friends likely KNOW their script came from the anal secretions of a corpse in a necrophiliac's freezer that broke 4 weeks ago. But hey, if there's a sizable following out there in homes across America who'll lap it up, then they're gonna package and sell it. TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if pundits like those in the Fox family are trained from day one to ignore or at least not address the call-outs of "hypocrisy" since being right (though it can be a "bonus") isn't as important as keeping the audience aka. the voter base hooked with a capital "H". That's the "4D chess". THAT'S where the playoffs are truly held........And I'll leave it here before I verbally degenerate into Will Sasso as "John Madden". Me drawing diagrams out of a fever dream while speaking in tongues isn't a pretty sight.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 07-24-2021 at 12:29 AM.

Ultimate Member

To you and everyone here getting "that pulsing vein in your forehead" over doublespeak like this, I humbly offer a coping method of mine: To maintain the creaky foundation that is my sanity, I ALWAYS try to remember to remember this scene from Thank You For Smoking:

It's that line at the end that's the clincher: "But I'm not after you. I'm after THEM."

Keeping "the choir" fapping to the noises they make is the name of the game, so to speak. Tucker and friends likely KNOW their script came from the anal secretions of a corpse in a necrophiliac's freezer that broke 4 weeks ago. But hey, if there's a sizable following out there in homes across America who'll lap it up, then they're gonna package and sell it. TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if pundits like those in the Fox family are trained from day one to ignore or at least not address the call-outs of "hypocrisy" since being right (though it can be a "bonus") isn't as important as keeping the audience aka. the voter base hooked with a capital "H". That's the "4D chess". THAT'S where the playoffs are truly held........And I'll leave it here before I verbally degenerate into Will Sasso as "John Madden". Me drawing diagrams out of a fever dream while speaking in tongues isn't a pretty sight.
    Those guys know what they're doing.

It's so comical now that it doesn't even seem they believe in what they are saying.

Unfortunately, we now know there's a massive amount of Americans that believe in any drivel that supports their worldview. Even when said drivel doesn't make a lick of sense.

BANNED

Well a requirement for a well ordered society is that everyone knows their place and doesn't try to overstep their bounds, and this usually requires a strong leader in place to keep everyone in their lane and prioritize the needs of the whole rather than those of the individual. And there isn't really anything wrong with this world view, any nation needs strong leadership and communal solidarity to survive, what matters is what all of the resources and energy are being devoted towards. You can have a strong government that looks after its people and does right by them, and you can have a strong government that treats people as an expendable resource to be chewed up and spit out. Distinguishing the two is important and applying a blanket label of "authoritarian" to all of them is just irresponsible and bordering on libertarian fantasy.

Remember that the Western conception of "liberty" is ultimately rooted in the freedom of wealthy landowners to abuse their peasants without facing any consequences from THEIR feudal superiors, and that has largely continued to the present day although the nature of the social classes involved has changed somewhat. But at the end of the day, a notion of freedom based around property rights has virtually no meaning for the vast majority of people who own little or no capital themselves.
    Last edited by PwrdOn; 07-24-2021 at 07:39 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Those guys know what they're doing.

It's so comical now that it doesn't even seem they believe in what they are saying.

Unfortunately, we now know there's a massive amount of Americans that believe in any drivel that supports their worldview. Even when said drivel doesn't make a lick of sense.
    So then. It would appear the challenge is figuring out a way to get this "captive audience" to see the song-n-dance for what it is. And, if I were to put it soberly, it may be a less than feel-good affair where many in this audience may undergo an existential meltdown from it finally dawning on them. For example, there are some now-deceased people who clung to COVID denial so fervently that they literally spent their LAST BREATHS in the fucking hospital claiming that it "just HAD to be a hoax", according to testimony from medical staff! Let that sink in for a minute..........THIS is what we're facing, ladies and gentlemen. BTW, I'm not saying this just to be "cute/smug" or to look down on people of this mentality. I know many in this thread (understandably) like to "vent" by calling these sorts of right wing adherents every name under the sun. I'm sincerely kind of sad at the notion. But right now, I don't see much alternative for treating the "disease" other than playing a somewhat cruel mind game with these fellow members of my species - one that prevents them from bracing against or mentally backflipping away from the truth of the matter (a kind of psychological "checkmate", if you will). Just subtle enough for it to be "slipped past" their usual mental barriers they employ as coping mechanisms. Cause we may all be fucked in the long run if this isn't successfully pulled off.

Again, to remind, this is engaging with a demographic that finds heeding government/CDC advsiories akin to being "subjugated into obedience by by the shadowy government overlords" or that admitting (to themselves mostly) that *<gasp>* some left-leaning folks may be right about vaccines being a good idea is worse than death. This may end up being like attempting to solve a Rubik's cube of insecurities, but I personally think it can be done with a crafty enough approach.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 07-24-2021 at 10:47 AM.

I think part of the problem is an unwillingness by some liberals to admit that they understand where conservative arguments come from. There's this notion from some on the left that understanding equals endorsement. So they send out e-mails screaming "You won't believe what <conservative mouthpiece> said today!" or "You'll be shocked by what <random Republican Congresswoman> did!" No, I do believe it and I'm not shocked. We don't have to time to waste being shocked. We know why they do it. We know why they say it. Getting inside their heads won't corrupt us. But it is the first step toward defeating them.
    Watching television is not an activity.