Page 287 of 824 FirstFirst ... 187237277283284285286287288289290291297337387787 ... LastLast
Results 4,291 to 4,305 of 12354
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    If you are looking for another black youtuber to check out when it comes to fighting games, then check out Rizzy, one of the best when it comes to SNK games

That reminds me, I notice a lot of fighter fans referencing the new Tekken and Guilty Gear Fighter to a popular black video game fighter because all 3 have dreads. I didn't really know how I felt about that to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    It ultimately depends upon what the criticism is being delivered. For example, there's tons of constructive criticism given to how Cyborg has been treated since his promotion to JL founder with the new 52, but those primarily delve about him being treated like a second class citizen. If the criticism is based around how POC's are infiltrating our comics than that's a different story entirely. For example, All new All Different Marvel was easily the best push for POC characters seen in arguably comic book history. The amount of successful to semi-successful characters done when they pushed forward with it was the best scene since Milestone Comics. But of course, people have a problem with it because their favorite characters are being replaced. When folks were upset about how they're characters were being removed, I completely understand. But when folks started providing "constructive criticism" on how minority characters are supposed to be included, that's when they get the rightful cold shoulder.

They normally give out anti-inclusive codewords like "forced diversity." and "why can't they just make a new character." Which we all know that translates to "Keep these characters away from books I read." A perfect example of that DC hyping their "Dark Matter" universe and some DC fans talking about how this was "diversity done right." Now, where was the sales behind those books? Compare that the continue successful books from the ANAD heroes and it's clearly obvious what they truly refer to.

So essentially it boils down to what's the basis behind the criticism. If the criticism focuses more on the portrayal, like how Marvel/DC lacks high tier POC characters, that makes perfect sense. If the criticism is more on the implementation of POC characters, well obviously that doesn't fly and mostly won't be accepted.
    I wouldnt say EVERY claim of "Just make a new character" has racial undertones to it. Some of it is just literally people who dont understand the comic industry and assume that its easy for a new character to stick when the last new non legacy character to survive was DEADPOOL.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I wouldnt say EVERY claim of "Just make a new character" has racial undertones to it. Some of it is just literally people who dont understand the comic industry and assume that its easy for a new character to stick when the last new non legacy character to survive was DEADPOOL.
    Actually it would be Harley Quinn, Deadpool first showed up in February of 1992. Harley in Batman: the Animated Series in September of 92, First non continuity in comics in September of 1993, her first in continuity in the comic books was not until October of 1999.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Actually it would be Harley Quinn, Deadpool first showed up in February of 1992. Harley in Batman: the Animated Series in September of 92, First non continuity in comics in September of 1993, her first in continuity in the comic books was not until October of 1999.
    Does Harley not count as a legacy though? She's obviously grown out of his shadow but she was created as Joker's sidekick/woman counterpart.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 09-10-2019 at 08:25 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I’m of two minds about that. Yes new characters under old brands tend to stick better initially, but they tend to be relegated to secondary characters or sidekicks. Every time their is a reboot, or a continuity shake up there is a legit chance that character will be shelved (see Cassandra Cain) or replaced by a fresher younger character.

Non spinoff characters have a different problem. Getting off the ground is hard, but if they do, you have a character with it’s own distinct identity, that isn’t beholden to another character.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    For any Transformers fans here, what do you think of the character Jazz? Not necessarily the movie version, but from the franchise as a whole.
    I'm old enough to remember Corrothers voicing Hong Kong Phooey when I was real little so familiarity went a long way there.

Uhhh there were like 5 black G1 Transformers, if that's what you're after. Jazz, Blaster... one of the Constructicons, not Hoist and not the bulldozer, one of the other ones. One of the second level Decepticon jets, the remodels after Starscream Thundercracker and the other cat, dude that never said a whole lot. I've always claimed Cliffjumper too for some reason I forgot why. A Predacon, the panther, I had him.

Shoutout to the 80s man, me and my brother never had a complete Transformers combiner. At best we put together 2 Ariel bots and made up excuses for the absence of the rest of the team lol.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Does Harley not count as a legacy though? She's obviously grown out of his shadow but she was created as Joker's sidekick/woman counterpart.
    Guess it would be how you look at it. I don't see Dick Garson as a legacy or Bucky Barnes, They were both side kicks that created enough potential for solos and such. Your same arguments would be that all members of the X-Teams / Avengers and their villains would be a legacy as they grow out of the shadow of their popularity. With that Deadpool would be a legacy. I always say that Rob Liefeld is the absentee farther that takes credit for his child's accomplishments, When all he did was dress him up and give in a name then left to Image where he didn't have many original ideas there either. If you read his Deadpool he is not the funny, zany, merc with at mouth. He was a freaking Deathstroke clone. It tool some one else picking him up and creating interest in him.

But I do agree that in todays comic world is hard to push an original idea and make it sell. That like Deadpool and Harley Quinn anything will have to come out of the shadow of an already developed creation. I don't see why Disney or Warner Brothers does not use other media than comics to try and introduce new ideas. Harley Quinn was popular before she made it into comic continuity.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Ignorance is not a excuse,People should pay attention to whole situation before commenting if they did wouldn't say it .We have the what I call the circle

You race bend an Iconic character- you get why not create new character
    You character new character but is legacy to build an audience- You get why don't create original character,Don't mess with original character
    You create an original new character- You get nobody wants to read about new characters and why are pushing that character over my old favorites

And guess what happens when none of those thing happen.You are suppose to wait until a character gradually catches on but how will anything ever catch on in a system like that. Which is why I say shove diversity down their throats. Oh well we have had lack of diversity shove down our throats and we didn't die .

As for the last non Legacy character to stick at Marvel Jessica Jones .
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-11-2019 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Ignorance is not a excuse,People should pay attention to whole situation before commenting if they did wouldn't say it .We have the what I call the circle

You race bend an Iconic character- you get why not create new character
    You character new character but is legacy to build an audience- You get why don't create original character,Don't mess with original character
    You create an original new character- You get nobody wants to read about new characters and why are pushing that character over my old favorites

And guess what happens when none of those thing happen.You are suppose to wait until a character gradually catches on but how will anything ever catch on in a system like that. Which is why I say shove diversity down their throats. Oh well we have had lack of diversity shove down our throats and we didn't die .

As for the last non Legacy character to stick at Marvel Jessica Jones .
    Yeah, your right regarding Jessica Jones. If she hadnt gotten a Tv show I might disagree sunce shes not exactly everywhere but that put her in the stratosphere.

On the otherstuff, realistically I feel creating new characters for adaptions is better then racebending but that requires creators not be lazy and actually try to integrate new characters into a narrative. Regarding comics though, well thats down to the fans. I feel the reversal on ANAD was a mistake.

Yeah, your right regarding Jessica Jones. If she hadnt gotten a Tv show I might disagree sunce shes not exactly everywhere but that put her in the stratosphere.

On the otherstuff, realistically I feel creating new characters for adaptions is better then racebending but that requires creators not be lazy and actually try to integrate new characters into a narrative. Regarding comics though, well thats down to the fans. I feel the reversal on ANAD was a mistake.
    Here is the thing about why are hesitant to Jessica Jones up there. It is because she didn't have a book for awhile that is product of the system. How many times Marve and DC has Punisher, Dr Strange, Green Arrow, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Aquaman, Firestorm,etc for a relaunch. They will push certain characters regardless of sales but other characters only get one or maybe two shots. If they can keep dragging the corpse of those characters back to try to sell them, they can do the same for Jessica Jones,Static, Cyborg, etc.

New Characters are better in the long run, Racebending is better at quickly fill in the clear gap. Plus you aren't trying to make minor characters because that easy. It is big significant characters that is problem. Making Batman or Superman black guarantee a character that will be used in prominence, Making Naomi or Static. Or even elevating Cyborg to Justice League means that he will be push to the background by Batman and company. We all would prefer new characters but Racebending is actually the middle ground solution between completely new character being at forefront and minority character being used but it is popular and meaningful character which has a fanbase. As long old fans don't except new characters race bending will be tempting option for Marvel and DC.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-11-2019 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Here is the thing about why are hesitant to Jessica Jones up there. It is because she didn't have a book for awhile that is product of the system. How many times Marve and DC has Punisher, Dr Strange, Green Arrow, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Aquaman, Firestorm,etc for a relaunch. They will push certain characters regardless of sales but other characters only get one or maybe two shots. If they can keep dragging the corpse of those characters back to try to sell them, they can do the same for Jessica Jones,Static, Cyborg, etc.

New Characters are better in the long run, Racebending is better at quickly fill in the clear gap. Plus you aren't trying to make minor characters because that easy. It is big significant characters that is problem. Making Batman or Superman black guarantee a character that will be used in prominence, Making Naomi or Static. Or even elevating Cyborg to Justice League means that he will be push to the background by Batman and company. We all would prefer new characters and Racebending is actually the middle ground solution between completely new character being at forefront and minority character being used but it is popular character which has a fanbase. As long old fans don't except new characters race bending will be tempting option for Marvel and DC.
    I wouldn't put Static in that list tbh. Statics problems have nothing to do with the big two and or race relationsand are all about estate control.

Naomi will (much like Riri and eventually even Miles) be much better when she's out of Bendis hands. Thats not a knock against her though just Bendis being an incredibly mediocre writer.

Cyborg being on the league was a bumbling mess as was the attempts to work in his solo. Why are 90% of his villains other cyborgs ? Why has he never fought a magic user ? Its all lazy shoddy writing.

I wouldn't put Static in that list tbh. Statics problems have nothing to do with the big two and or race relationsand are all about estate control.

Naomi will (much like Riri and eventually even Miles) be much better when she's out of Bendis hands. Thats not a knock against her though just Bendis being an incredibly mediocre writer.

Cyborg being on the league was a bumbling mess as was the attempts to work in his solo. Why are 90% of his villains other cyborgs ? Why has he never fought a magic user ? Its all lazy shoddy writing.
    DC pulled Nu52 static book with a quick hook,I know they are rights issues but they had rights to use him at time and put out a clear bad project ,had quick hook and never used him again. But anyways the point was Static and Naomi are the things that we want to see well put together original characters. But if like Static and Cyborg you just put them out there have them fail and don't real try again what is the point. Even worse if you do a move like put Cyborg on Justice League to highlight him as major hero but then keep on using Batman,Superman and Wonder Woman as the key elements what is the point.

They are doing good job with Naomi but if when she is put on young justice they just focus on Tim Drake, Superboy, Impulse it is creating the same problem. Marvel and DC have actually done a good job creating new minority characters but superhero comics are built to perpetually keep things the same. If you make a character a small side character they will pretty always stay there at that level. If you create to be big time there is no guarantee the character will catch on with the fans but in perpetual cycle if they catch on a little they will always been seen as important. It is two part thing treat characters as important and even when they don't do as well you,clean the slate and try again. Captain Marvel is the blueprint for what you need to with new character. She has been pushed as important character in world and in publishing they have never allowed her to completely fail and they have reload her book even before it fails. At some point it has to stand on its own merit for success but Captain Marvel book has had every opportunity to find its audience. Cyborg who had the same importance for DC imo never was given the chance to find its place in the market and among the major players in universe.To make it simpler they know it takes longer than 12 or 24 issue to find the right and tone feel for a book. Hulk is the perfect example they have been putting out middling Hulk books for years. And finally they found the the right tone for the book.

Ultimate Member

It was never to stick in the first place. It's literally the same temporary replacement trope superhero comics have done for literally decades. It's just that for a variety of reasons, some people thought that it represented a sea-change in comics rather than he return of a familiar cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It was never to stick in the first place. It's literally the same temporary replacement trope superhero comics have done for literally decades. It's just that for a variety of reasons, some people thought that it represented a sea-change in comics rather than he return of a familiar cycle.
    I think the issue was, at that point the replacements were not only more interesting but often had more story opportunity then their forebearers.

Wolverines done everything, him being dead was great.
    Marvel had Miles as a teen spiderman and they should have let Peter grow up.
    Falcap was a brand new look into what being Cap meant