Page 394 of 824 FirstFirst ... 294344384390391392393394395396397398404444494 ... LastLast
Results 5,896 to 5,910 of 12354
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    From the part of Louisiana that Gambit is from he should be Creole, Cajun is a whole different group.

Its ironic that Mulan had a disappointing box office debut in China after changing so much from the animated version to appeal more to the Chinese market. With the Chinese government baring the media there from covering the movie due to the Xinjiang backlash and the low box office turn out Disney will most likely lose money on the movie now.
    They tried to market Mulan is Wuxia movie that had actors from Wuxia films that come to find out wasn't a Wuxia movie at all.

The Chinese audience doesn't need a fake Wuxia film when they get at least a dozen real ones every year.

Ironically if Disney had made a whitewashed version of Mulan, the Chinese Audience would have bought into that and gotten all happy for a new J. Law film or whatever.

But they tried to be fake authentic and reaction they got instead was "This is boring and you got the history wrong."

They were dozens of Asian qwire work Directors they could have gone with not the least of which was John Woo and this failure could have been avoided.

But everything about this movie is tainted so I'm not sad it failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    They tried to market Mulan is Wuxia movie that had actors from Wuxia films that come to find out wasn't a Wuxia movie at all.

The Chinese audience doesn't need a fake Wuxia film when they get at least a dozen real ones every year.

Ironically if Disney had made a whitewashed version of Mulan, the Chinese Audience would have bought into that and gotten all happy for a new J. Law film or whatever.

But they tried to be fake authentic and reaction they got instead was "This is boring and you got the history wrong."

They were dozens of Asian qwire work Directors they could have gone with not the least of which was John Woo and this failure could have been avoided.

I've actually seen comments online about Chinese audiences being sad Mushu was absent. Which is ironic since I'd heard Chinese audiences disliked him in the animated movie from the 90s.

How successful are John Woo movies normally?

Michael B. Jordan Series ‘Gen:Lock’ Announces Season 2 Writers Room Supporting #ChangeHollywood Inclusion Initiative (EXCLUSIVE)

The Michael B. Jordan-starring animated series “Gen:Lock” has increased representation and inclusion in its writers room for the show’s upcoming second season, producers Rooster Teeth and Outlier Society have announced.

Daniel Dominguez, Maasai Singleton, Evan Narcisse, Kristle Peluso and Gavin Hignight make up the writers room for the second season of the series, which will premiere on HBO Max. The animated series takes place 50 years in the future amid an oppressive authoritarian regime that threatens to conquer the world; Jordan voices the series’ lead character Julian Chase and also serves as an executive producer.

The writers collectively increase the show’s behind the scenes representation across Black, Latinx, and LGBTQIA+ communities.

“Inclusivity and amplifying Black and Brown stories has always been at the forefront of Outlier Society and our productions,” Jordan said. “I am proud to work alongside HBO Max and Rooster Teeth to #Change Hollywood and ensure our writers room for ‘Gen:Lock’ is a reflection of the world we live in.”
    https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/mic...ve-1234770134/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I've actually seen comments online about Chinese audiences being sad Mushu was absent. Which is ironic since I'd heard Chinese audiences disliked him in the animated movie from the 90s.

While his older films still hold legendary status, I don't think he's as big commercially as he once was. He did a film for Netflix a couple of years ago but it didn't get a whole lot of buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

Yeah thing was doomed from the start

which kinda sucks bc it is a remake that was actually "new"

but can't have a martial arts move with shitty martial arts... especially if you are pandering to East asian countries lol

I fear for Shang Chi still
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Miles Morales Game is going to be on PS4 as well. not just PS5

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Credit to DC, they at least know their latino characters from their non-latino ones.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Marvel/st...89775854374920

Yeah, that's Julia Carpenter in an image of latino Marvel heroes not Anya Corazon.
    My point still stands though.

DC can identify their Latino and Latinx heroes- great. That’s a long way from they and WB throwing their full weight behind them and pushing them in comics and other media.
    Last edited by Username taken; 09-17-2020 at 06:37 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Miles Morales Game is going to be on PS4 as well. not just PS5

Thank God for this.

It looks like the PS5 is already sold out. At least for now.

I’ll probably wait either way to get it. I still remember how my original PS3 just stopped working after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Thank God for this.

It looks like the PS5 is already sold out. At least for now.

I’ll probably wait either way to get it. I still remember how my original PS3 just stopped working after a while.
    Yep, they are all over ebay despite being a pre order. Ridiculous

Extraordinary Member

He's not a big deal anymore as far as industry acclaim goes but I know he seems to put out a costume drama on a regular basis.

Considering he was the Gangster movie guy, I can only assume he got tired of the genre he revitalized or he saw how the wind was blowing and decided to play it safe.

Or was told to.

Modern day Triad Gangsters as antiheroes could be seen as promoting anti authoritarianism in China. So maybe he's got reason to leave the genre alone.

Ultimate Member

Not every Disney animated movie needs a live action remake. Disney should have simply left Mulan as it was.

In the year 2020, there's a very, very thin line between pandering, being culturally ignorant and just messing everything up in its entirety. This stuff can work if you basically get people from said culture to produce the movie but that can lead to a clash in production styles between two different countries.

Producing a movie based in another country's folklore- particularly a country as nationalistic as China is very, very difficult. More so when simultaneously trying to pander to them.

At the end of the day, Disney has ended up pleasing no one. Mulan's received lukewarm reviews in the US and hasn't done well in China either.

Astonishing Member

I’d just drop bishop in with the cop/district x background and reveal the time travel back story later on. Unless he was intro’d as having something to do with kang (which might be cool, now that it’s been mentioned.

As far as gambit goes, he is adopted and he’s Cajun because his adopted family is Cajun, so being black or mixed, wouldn’t actually matter (as far as being Cajun or not.) Although the comics/ other media have been mixing up Cajun and Creole for years, so I expect the movies to continue the tradition...

No Mushu no me lol..

Bishop and Cable should be played as two sides of a coin. Both should be working at cross purpose to prevent their futures, so I'd put Cable on the side of the X-Men, and Bishop on the side of whatever "the brotherhood" is in the movie. You know the side that has all the POCs and mutants that aren't white models and is generally right about everything.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

The model the X-Men has been using for years was fundamentally broken.

The reason I like Hickman's version so far is because it's moving the franchise in a new direction and actually trying to tell new stories, instead of falling back on Claremont's tired pseudo-topical cultural appropriation approach.

It's really the only interesting thing the franchise has done since Morrison.

So I guess X-Men gets a good run every 20 years or so.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum