Page 520 of 538 FirstFirst ... 20420470510516517518519520521522523524530 ... LastLast
Results 7,786 to 7,800 of 8068
  1. #7786
    New old guy Surf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    3,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    This is really interesting. You've got a modernized Marvel
    version of a Wuxia film with a guy in the lead who HK producers would never cast as a Wuxia lead.

    You either had to have Martial Arts chops, be a HK popstar or be a HK drama vet (and Jackie Chan was technically all 3).

    That leaves out a lot of legitimate talent who never came up through those grinds.

    Time was something like this would automatically go to a guy like Tiger Chen and only because Jackie, Jet and them have aged out of the young leading man category ( and Jackie held on for 20 after that).
    All this. I remember the mild shock at how old Jet was at the time of Romeo Must Die. Mans held on tough and got more popular older he got even though most of his portrayals were supposed to have been younger characters.

    My biggest thing is, I remember a time long ago a group of actors were known as the Venom Mob. These dude were superstars to me when I was in High School in the 90s. They movies were hard to find back in the day and this was when John Woo was getting some serious run in the states. Even actors outside the Mob were guys like Lo Lieh who were favorites and big stars. Man I don't know what happened but to this day I still look at Jackie Chan with a side eye. This is the guy that broke through when you had ALL these fantastic physical actors pre- and post Bruce Lee?!?! Just could never figure that out. Different standards for a different land I guess. Trailer does look dope, I'm here for it.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

  2. #7787
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    7,643

    Default

    For Shang-Chi, I just want cool, kick-ass action scenes.

    The trailer looks like it's going to deliver this.
    Black Lives Matter.

  3. #7788
    BCB 4sake Baned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    2,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    At least they gave the lead role to an actor of East Asian descent, and not Scarlett Johansen
    This or a random white guy...

  4. #7789
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    6,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    This or a random white guy...
    There doesn't seem to even be an "Everett Ross" type role

  5. #7790
    BCB 4sake Baned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    2,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    There doesn't seem to even be an "Everett Ross" type role
    Thankfully ......

  6. #7791
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    6,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    Thankfully ......
    You didn't like him?

  7. #7792
    BCB 4sake Baned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    2,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    You didn't like him?
    Not one bit can’t stand the comic version & the movie version is a lil better but prefer he wasn’t around still

  8. #7793
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    All this. I remember the mild shock at how old Jet was at the time of Romeo Must Die. Mans held on tough and got more popular older he got even though most of his portrayals were supposed to have been younger characters.

    My biggest thing is, I remember a time long ago a group of actors were known as the Venom Mob. These dude were superstars to me when I was in High School in the 90s. They movies were hard to find back in the day and this was when John Woo was getting some serious run in the states. Even actors outside the Mob were guys like Lo Lieh who were favorites and big stars. Man I don't know what happened but to this day I still look at Jackie Chan with a side eye. This is the guy that broke through when you had ALL these fantastic physical actors pre- and post Bruce Lee?!?! Just could never figure that out. Different standards for a different land I guess.
    I hear ya.

    While the Venoms did their own fight scenes, even they drew the line at getting set on fire for real or leaping from great heights without wires. For that stuff they had Stuntmen.

    Jackie and Yuen Baio were so desperate for work back in the day that they as actors did high risk stuff themselves when even the Stuntmen were like "this is unsafe and ill-considered". Being willing to do anything will get your foot in the door in HK.

    So at first Directors just liked that hiring Jackie Chan as an actor meant you didn't need to pay for a stuntman and then Jackie made spectacular disregard for his own personal safety his selling point/trademark gimmick.

    I won't downplay his physical comedy chops either, his character was different from the stoic fighters everyone else was playing.

    But notice that his legendary set pieces are all about high falls off stuff and willingness to get really messed up and not as much about fight choreography.

    Being willing to do anything to himself is what got him put on and he kept with it until his body could no longer hack it.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 04-20-2021 at 03:30 AM.

  9. #7794
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post



    Fights look good so far. Please don't suck.
    Woohoooo.....am excited, can't wait.

    Was a little disappointed that he was NOT as ripped as expected when he was shown shirtless.

  10. #7795
    Ultimate Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Woohoooo.....am excited, can't wait.

    Was a little disappointed that he was NOT as ripped as expected when he was shown shirtless.
    It was the lighting in the scene. The lighting can make or break how lean you look.



    That lighting is shit to show off how ripped you are. You can tell in his shoulders and chest he is sufficiently lean. The lighting to just taking away from it.

    You need overhead lighting like is in gyms... like this...



    Dude is lean as hell, but you still need the lighting to show it off.
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

  11. #7796
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Thank you. I am going to look those up. I am also really enjoying the New 52. Right now I have only read some issues of Detective and Action Comics but I am going to read a lot more.

    As many of you know I have read mostly Silver and Golden Age comics. I have only in the last i would say 8 months or so been reading more modern stuff., So I have not been exsposed to strong POC characters and heroes. Outside of Black Panther in Avengers, Storm in Xmen, and Joe Robertson in Spiderman.

    But I have been reading some great characters as of late. Ms Marvel who I am just having a blast reading, Future State Batman who I really enjoyed, some Miles Spiderman, and Sam as Captain America stuff, and I have a stack of Milestone comics as well.

    I have not found any of the comics I am reading to be preachy like some have claimed. I wasnt really reading comics on a regular in 2014 when Ms Marvel came out. But I heard the uproar. How Marvel ahs gone woke and PC with a Muslim hero and they beat you to death with the Middle East morals (Whatever that is) etc.. So I was a bit hesitant to get the book. But when I read it I found a character who is a huge game nerd, writes fanfics, and obsesses over superheroes. She was a younger me. I was never hit over the head with The Middle East morals. I enjoyed her family life more then her as a hero to be honest because it was part of society that I had never seen in a positive light. I really enjoy her Brothers talk with Bruno about how he could not date Kamala because their cultures and back rounds were just too different. It was not done is a beat you over the head way or rude way. just a man explaining to someone of a different race and religion why it would not work out. I had only seen that from the White side when someone's daughter dated a black guy or Muslim man. I had never seen or thought about it from the other side.

    So I honestly dont know what all the people who bitch about comics being to woke are talking about. because that has very much not been my experience at all.
    Brilliant. Welcome to "modern comics".

    Here are some New52 titles I would like your opinion/review when u read them.

    Mister Terrific

    Batwing

    Red Lanterns

    Larfleeze

    Sinestro

    Blue Beetle

    Vibe

    Legion lost

    Superboy

    Trinity of Sin

    Trinity of sin: Pandora

    Trinity of sin: Phantom Stranger

    Earth 2

    Earth 2: World's End (sequel to Earth 2 then leads into Convergence event

    Earth 2: Society (sequel to Earth world's end after Convergence)

    Black Hawks

    Batman/ Superman

    Aquaman

    Aquaman and The Others

    Animal man

    Grayson

    Martian Manhunter (by Ron Williams)

    Green lantern- Edge of Oblivion

    Green lantern- Lost Army

    New 52- Future's End

    Voodoo

    Grifter

    Justice League Dark

    Resurrection Man

  12. #7797
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    It was the lighting in the scene. The lighting can make or break how lean you look.



    That lighting is shit to show off how ripped you are. You can tell in his shoulders and chest he is sufficiently lean. The lighting to just taking away from it.

    You need overhead lighting like is in gyms... like this...



    Dude is lean as hell, but you still need the lighting to show it off.
    The shirtless scene in the trailer really didn't do him justice... When Asian actors in Asian cinema get ripped, THEY GET RIPPED!!!

    The trailer has already sold me on the movie anyway.

  13. #7798
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    7,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    It was the lighting in the scene. The lighting can make or break how lean you look.



    That lighting is shit to show off how ripped you are. You can tell in his shoulders and chest he is sufficiently lean. The lighting to just taking away from it.

    You need overhead lighting like is in gyms... like this...



    Dude is lean as hell, but you still need the lighting to show it off.
    Yeah, the guy is ripped.

    Been trying to cut weight down and it's hard AF.

    I increased my weights during my routine...I was so f..king hungry all day, every day that I had to give it up.

    Getting into shape is freaking hard.
    Black Lives Matter.

  14. #7799
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I hear ya.

    While the Venoms did their own fight scenes, even they drew the line at getting set on fire for real or leaping from great heights without wires. For that stuff they had Stuntmen.

    Jackie and Yuen Baio were so desperate for work back in the day that they as actors did high risk stuff themselves when even the Stuntmen were like "this is unsafe and ill-considered". Being willing to do anything will get your foot in the door in HK.

    So at first Directors just liked that hiring Jackie Chan as an actor meant you didn't need to pay for a stuntman and then Jackie made spectacular disregard for his own personal safety his selling point/trademark gimmick.

    I won't downplay his physical comedy chops either, his character was different from the stoic fighters everyone else was playing.

    But notice that his legendary set pieces are all about high falls off stuff and willingness to get really messed up and not as much about fight choreography.

    Being willing to do anything to himself is what got him put on and he kept with it until his body could no longer hack it.
    I humbly disagree on the "not as much about fight choreography." part regarding Jackie Chan who.....in my opinion...is the most creative fight choreographer on the planet because of how crazy brilliant he uses his scenery, environment to his advantage esp using many simple ordinary items in a fight.

    I also disagree that Chan's "legendary set pieces are all about high falls off stuff"....that's not true. It's mostly his creative choreography in fights that are legendary at number 1. His "high falls off stuff" comes in second

    Just look at the the 1st Chan vs Benny Urquidez(spelling?) fight in Wheels on Meals movie (I think)......8 out of 10 times it's in the top 5 (if not top 3) of every best cinema/movie fight scene in history.

  15. #7800
    Ultimate Member MindofShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    18,704

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Yeah, the guy is ripped.

    Been trying to cut weight down and it's hard AF.

    I increased my weights during my routine...I was so f..king hungry all day, every day that I had to give it up.

    Getting into shape is freaking hard.
    Prolly be easier if you had professionals working with you and it was your job to get ripped for the biggest job in your career lol


    But... you get used to the hunger if you can power through. I 20 hour fast from sunday to monday (sunday 10PM to Monday 6PM) and in generally I don't eat everyday utnil around noonish. Been doing this so long, it is just old hat. lots of coffee though lol
    Black Panther Appreciation Blog: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.com/

    T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •