Page 781 of 828 FirstFirst ... 281681731771777778779780781782783784785791 ... LastLast
Results 11,701 to 11,715 of 12408
    Invincible Member

In what I can only assume is a desperate attempt to reclaim some sort of relevancy, Dog The Bounty Hunter is running around saying how he wants to give Dylan Mulvany two black eyes

https://nordot.app/1051707333620711698

Ultimate Member

-Finally started watching the Abbott Elementary season 1 dvd.

I did too much laughing the first 5 minutes.

Although I do wonder why Ms Teague took a girl to the wrong bathroom after she got sick and why did Tyler James Williams wear the same outfit from Criminal Minds Beyond Borders.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    In what I can only assume is a desperate attempt to reclaim some sort of relevancy, Dog The Bounty Hunter is running around saying how he wants to give Dylan Mulvany two black eyes

https://nordot.app/1051707333620711698
    God Made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.

Every low brain cell hate mongering idiot spews that line like it is the most clever thing they have ever said.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    God Made Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.

Every low brain cell hate mongering idiot spews that line like it is the most clever thing they have ever said.
    I heard that in church when I was a teenager. I thought that was stupid then and I think it's dumb now.

Just like "Hate the sin, not the sinner."

I hope I do not offend anyone that is not the goal. The intent is to understand and I hope it is taken as such when I ask this question.

The term Colored People. The house member got reamed for using that as a raical slur. May I ask why that is considered a racial slur when it is the NAACP title?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I hope I do not offend anyone that is not the goal. The intent is to understand and I hope it is taken as such when I ask this question.

The term Colored People. The house member got reamed for using that as a raical slur. May I ask why that is considered a racial slur when it is the NAACP title?
    I’m not sure but I assume it’s because language evolves over time and what was accepted decades ago might be a slur today - bear in mind the NAACP was founded in 1909.

Language also differs greatly between geographies - “Colored people” is a racial slur in the US but it’s a widely used expression in South Africa without negative connotation
    Last edited by hyped78; 07-16-2023 at 10:29 AM.

Ultimate Member

The issue is what made him say THAT? A term nobody is using outside of the NAACP.

I think the intent is what riled up folks. Why pick that word out?

Especially for older folks who had to put up with being called that in the past.

As hype said, language evolved over time. The term "colored people" was used in a derogatory fashion during the slavery and Jim Crow eras. The NAACP used it as a way of reclamation and because that's how we were using the terminology. But we've since adopted another, better term for African- Americans (specifically) and saying "colored" hearkens back to a incredibly racist time and makes people think the person saying it has held onto those archaic, racist beliefs as well.

Thank you all for the answers

Mighty Member

Well it’s good to know we have the vastly less offensive term, “person/people of color” now………….Yes, the words essentially rearranged. Cause reasons.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Well it’s good to know we have the vastly less offensive term, “person/people of color” now………….Yes, the words essentially rearranged. Cause reasons.
    "People of Color" is used these daysas bit more inclusive term for the broad range of different ethnic minorities and can refer to Black ppl, Latinos, Asians etc. Back in the Jim Crow days, "colored people" basically just meant black folks.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    "People of Color" is used these daysas bit more inclusive term for the broad range of different ethnic minorities and can refer to Black ppl, Latinos, Asians etc. Back in the Jim Crow days, "colored people" basically just meant black folks.
    Fair point as context matters. Im still astonished though at how well such a sparse change in wording got accepted.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 07-17-2023 at 12:00 PM.

Ultimate Member

I read that Blue Beetle is tracking to have a very low opening. DC/WB have a big superhero movie problem on their hands.

The strike and lack of promotion isn't helping at all. It's only word of mouth that can save it now.

As an aside, I watched "They Cloned Tyrone" on Netflix and it's criminal how badly Lucasfim wasted John Boyega. His character in the movie was similar to his character in "Attack the Block" with similar intensity. Lucasfilm reduced him to screaming "Rey!!!!!" for three movies.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I read that Blue Beetle is tracking to have a very low opening. DC/WB have a big superhero movie problem on their hands.

The strike and lack of promotion isn't helping at all. It's only word of mouth that can save it now.

As an aside, I watched "They Cloned Tyrone" on Netflix and it's criminal how badly Lucasfim wasted John Boyega. His character in the movie was similar to his character in "Attack the Block" with similar intensity. Lucasfilm reduced him to screaming "Rey!!!!!" for three movies.
    That is what happens when you pander to dudebros and edgelords.

They are acting like those movies never happened. We are in what year 5 of nothing being made from those movies not even figures.
    Yet we got a new Star Wars cartoon with LOL a little black boy Jedi and the usual suspects have been SILENT.

It's disgusting those two groups can throw all the fits that they want and someone get pandered to.

Like Knight Terrors seems to exclude us (except for Cyborg).
    Aqualad seems to have vanished to where ever Duke is.
    ANd I am sure Synch's days are numbered with Ms Marvel arriving.

And what is the issue with X-23 those fans have claws out if you say she is a POC.