Page 800 of 828 FirstFirst ... 300700750790796797798799800801802803804810 ... LastLast
Results 11,986 to 12,000 of 12408
    Invincible Member

Oh, we should probably mention "Gay best friend" is a real similar trope in movies/TV.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think it's because in recent years the conversation has shifted to how do we get more diverse casting, when is race/gender swapping in corporate IPs ok, how do we get more authentic voices in mainstream films etc. We forget a generation ago standard Hollywood practice was we can have one minority in our film but no more, and if there is more, they can't be the same minority.
    Looking at some of the comments elsewhere, too, I'm thinking this is it. People either don't know or forgot that trope even existed...which could also mean this movie is coming out probably at least a decade too late.

As for "black Harry Potter" well, I feel that already exists somewhere in YA fiction, but until then:

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Oh, we should probably mention "Gay best friend" is a real similar trope in movies/TV.
    A movie deconstructing this would be great, too.

Anyway, I wish this was attached to the beginning of the movie for people that still don't get it, but, copyrights and all.

If the movie was going to be a straight satire and poking fun at the trope, as well as "white fragility" and the entitlement that comes with expecting minorities to make them comfortable, then it'd be ok. However swapping that out for the black guy to risk all magic just to get with a white woman is kind of tone deaf, to say the least. They could've at least made the love interest a black woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    As for "black Harry Potter" well, I feel that already exists somewhere in YA fiction, but until then:

I have never seen this before. it made me laugh my butt off.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    If the movie was going to be a straight satire and poking fun at the trope, as well as "white fragility" and the entitlement that comes with expecting minorities to make them comfortable, then it'd be ok. However swapping that out for the black guy to risk all magic just to get with a white woman is kind of tone deaf, to say the least. They could've at least made the love interest a black woman.
    But that's just it...the black characters in these movies only exist to serve the white characters. If they have their own lives or even know other black people in universe, then they are no longer "magical negro" cliches. Again the movie is him not doing what he's supposed to be doing in these movies from 20 yrs ago. If this was about 80's horror/sci-fi movies it'd be about how he's the black guy that doesn't die...

Invincible Member

Movie about how the public would prefer stories about black cliches and stereotypes rather than authentic tales

Extraordinary Member

On a negative note, there goes Jonathan Majors.

If the MCU switches to Dr Doom to get away from Kang as the villain...then they need to cast a Romani actor to play him. Doom's Romani heritage is a major part of the character

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Yep, Marvel fired him real quick.

Good thing Loki S2 ended the way it did, it kind of gives them an out.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    For what amounts to probation and a fine according to some lawyers on one of Roland Martin's podcasts.

And for a case where evidence was not included and jury asking for more clarity.

And it's FUNNY to see in the Marvel movie thread someone say they need to background check folks.

If they did that a LOT of folks wouldn't have been hired at Marvel or Disney including TI, Tim Allen and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    If the MCU switches to Dr Doom to get away from Kang as the villain...then they need to cast a Romani actor to play him. Doom's Romani heritage is a major part of the character
    Is it really?

Not even being facetious...
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Is it really?

I'm more concerned with using Doom as a replacement villain which I think he deserves better than. I'd just bring back Wenwu, make the next Avengers a stealth Shang-Chi 2 since I doubt it would make sense to bring Wenwu back without his son.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Is it really?

It is. It's a major part of his origin, being from a Romani family who were persecuted for their ancestry