Page 776 of 828 FirstFirst ... 276676726766772773774775776777778779780786826 ... LastLast
Results 11,626 to 11,640 of 12411
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    The X-Men have seemed to have an issue with Black males for the longest time. Like the X-Men's main selling point is being inclusive...unless you're a black male, there aren't a lot of them, and they tend to treat the ones they do have poorly. I was kind of amazed they brought synch back.

I've kind of felt this way for a while, it's why, despite my efforts, I can't seem to click with the X-Men very well.
    This is one of the reasons I actually stopped reading the X-men.

It seemed as if they deliberately sidelined their minority characters for a while. Even Storm didn't play a prominent role for a while back then (which was particularly annoying considering she led the team for a good, long while way back when).

Apart from Bishop, they are no prominent male X-men of color. Gentle is more a prop than a character. I'm happy that Duggan at the very least remembered that Synch existed and has used him a lot.

Ultimate Member

I watched Across the Spider-verse.

That's probably the best comic book movie I've watched in a long, long time.

But I could be biased a bit because I'm a huge Spider-man fan and I've loved Miles Morales since his creation.

Lots of subtle stuff in the movie that folks probably didn't catch and stuff that would trigger the anti-woke crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I watched Across the Spider-verse.

That's probably the best comic book movie I've watched in a long, long time.

But I could be biased a bit because I'm a huge Spider-man fan and I've loved Miles Morales since his creation.

Lots of subtle stuff in the movie that folks probably didn't catch and stuff that would trigger the anti-woke crowd.
    Definitely, I saw it twice and I plan on seeing it again
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

This is one of the reasons I actually stopped reading the X-men.

It seemed as if they deliberately sidelined their minority characters for a while. Even Storm didn't play a prominent role for a while back then (which was particularly annoying considering she led the team for a good, long while way back when).

Apart from Bishop, they are no prominent male X-men of color. Gentle is more a prop than a character. I'm happy that Duggan at the very least remembered that Synch existed and has used him a lot.
    I didn't notice it until the BP & Storm Marriage. Nothing big was really happening with Storm at the time from what I remember, and the X-Fans (and writers, and fans turned writers) have hated T'Challa ever since. They hated the fact that he took their precious goddess away from them, and T'Challa was a confident black man who didn't take any of X-Men's garbage. The marriage ended over a decade ago and they still hate him. Probably because he was the one who ended it. If she fried him and then gave him divorce papers they would have been happy.

The X-Men have seemed to have an issue with Black males for the longest time. Like the X-Men's main selling point is being inclusive...unless you're a black male, there aren't a lot of them, and they tend to treat the ones they do have poorly. I was kind of amazed they brought synch back.

I've kind of felt this way for a while, it's why, despite my efforts, I can't seem to click with the X-Men very well.
    We're 100% on the same page here. This name is mostly ceremonial as I stopped reading comics around the time of the end of Doom War, and stopped reading X-Men altogether before that. I saw the writing (pardon the pun) on the wall with BP and was just...done.

I didn't notice it until the BP & Storm Marriage. Nothing big was really happening with Storm at the time from what I remember, and the X-Fans (and writers, and fans turned writers) have hated T'Challa ever since. They hated the fact that he took their precious goddess away from them, and T'Challa was a confident black man who didn't take any of X-Men's garbage. The marriage ended over a decade ago and they still hate him. Probably because he was the one who ended it. If she fried him and then gave him divorce papers they would have been happy.
    LOL Yep. They (I refuse to associate myself with X-Fans anymore) wanted him to burn if not die. But this is typical of the X-Office. I resorted to fanfic ages ago for Shola and Askari the Spear (separate works not a team up lol). Couldn't tell you where those stories are today, but I remember thinking I can't be the only one who thinks these characters are cool. Black male mutants with a power that isn't defensive-only? Wha? Writes itself. Or so I thought.

I remember around the time Aliyah was created, I wanted to do something with her and her father Bishop going on adventures in space, with her mother Deathbird popping in sometimes helping, sometimes causing trouble. Sigh. The dreams of youth.

Y'all hatin'. I couldn't WAIT to see what Gateway was doing that month that time. I guess an old man in a loin cloth wasn't sexy enough, took a couple decades+ later and they can up with, Manifold.

For real though, I was 15-16 when Bishop showed up, I'm in my late 40's. Dude was a huge draw, that's still my favorite incarnation of the team. It's crazy too because I considered the 616 mutant titles to almost be a third publisher to the big 2. Logan was their Superman, they were that big and yet we didn't have a single Black X-Man until 1991. I'm almost impressed Storm carried the water for all folks of color for WAY longer than she should have. And btw, the Marriage to T'Challa didn't come out of the clear blue either. Any rudimentary comic geek from back in the day entertained that shipping at one time or another to some extent.

Not for nuthin' they missed their opportunity when N.W.A. came out to create a superteam off-shoot. Sure, that would have been quite forward thinking on Marvel's behalf, I understand but by the time Wu-Tang came by 5 years later, that would have been huge. The addition of the 2 or 3 since 2000 is a pittance. Miles seems to have ALWAYS stepped out of the Peter shadow.

Speaking off, this Spider-Verse is a part 1 right? I wonder about the rouges after all of this, it's going SO big so early. Didn't get to see it this weekend with the girls but it's on this weekend, probably on Friday. YT is soiled with spoilers and marketing for it, haven't seen a push for grabbing content like this in a while.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Mighty Member

Apart from Bishop, they are no prominent male X-men of color. Gentle is more a prop than a character.
    Well, there’s also Maggott.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Well, there’s also Maggott.
    Talk about a blast from the past.

I'd completely forgotten about ol' Maggott.

Talk about a ridiculous character with a silly powerset to boot.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Y'all hatin'. I couldn't WAIT to see what Gateway was doing that month that time. I guess an old man in a loin cloth wasn't sexy enough, took a couple decades+ later and they can up with, Manifold.

For real though, I was 15-16 when Bishop showed up, I'm in my late 40's. Dude was a huge draw, that's still my favorite incarnation of the team. It's crazy too because I considered the 616 mutant titles to almost be a third publisher to the big 2. Logan was their Superman, they were that big and yet we didn't have a single Black X-Man until 1991. I'm almost impressed Storm carried the water for all folks of color for WAY longer than she should have. And btw, the Marriage to T'Challa didn't come out of the clear blue either. Any rudimentary comic geek from back in the day entertained that shipping at one time or another to some extent.

Not for nuthin' they missed their opportunity when N.W.A. came out to create a superteam off-shoot. Sure, that would have been quite forward thinking on Marvel's behalf, I understand but by the time Wu-Tang came by 5 years later, that would have been huge. The addition of the 2 or 3 since 2000 is a pittance. Miles seems to have ALWAYS stepped out of the Peter shadow.

Speaking off, this Spider-Verse is a part 1 right? I wonder about the rouges after all of this, it's going SO big so early. Didn't get to see it this weekend with the girls but it's on this weekend, probably on Friday. YT is soiled with spoilers and marketing for it, haven't seen a push for grabbing content like this in a while.
    YT is a cesspool now. Spider-verse spoilers are all over the site now.

For Miles, various creators that have worked on the character have done a good job of carving out a lane for him.

The Spider-verse directors flat out confirmed that the film contained meta-commentary about Miles being a Spider-man of his own.

Mighty Member

Talk about a blast from the past.

I'd completely forgotten about ol' Maggott.

Talk about a ridiculous character with a silly powerset to boot.
    I honestly thought it was one of the more interesting ways for a mutation to manifest while still being advantageous. If ever there was a character who embodied the slogan “Keep mutants weird”, it was that guy.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 06-05-2023 at 12:08 PM.

Invincible Member

Across the Spiderverse did very well over the weekend so the usual suspects can't trot out their "get woke go broke" BS. Instead some of them have decided to focus on I guess a blink and you miss it image of the trans flag in the background of a couple of scenes.

I remember seeing that still, that libertarian freak Eric July made a video about it, when he wasn't trying to get people to buy $30 single issues, is the comic printed on gold leaf paper or something? I still think the lockdowns accelerated all this. People spent way too much time online and needed something to get mad at, and out from the primordial ooze came the Legion of Contrarian Grifters to fill the void. There are so many of them and they all say the exact. same. things.

"Corporation went woke, they are bad!"

"This IP went woke, it's bad."

"Rainbows and trans people and drag queens, oh my!"

"Wokeness is just anything I don't like!"

Ultimate Member

I remember seeing that still, that libertarian freak Eric July made a video about it, when he wasn't trying to get people to buy $30 single issues, is the comic printed on gold leaf paper or something? I still think the lockdowns accelerated all this. People spent way too much time online and needed something to get mad at, and out from the primordial ooze came the Legion of Contrarian Grifters to fill the void. There are so many of them and they all say the exact. same. things.

"Corporation went woke, they are bad!"

"This IP went woke, it's bad."

"Rainbows and trans people and drag queens, oh my!"

"Wokeness is just anything I don't like!"
    Has July even released the comic he took money from people for? Too many scams happening on the anti-woke side of things.

The anti-woke crowd only hate what they are "told to hate". No original thoughts from that side of things.

There's "woke" stuff in Across the Spider-Verse like Miles school bag having a BLM badge on it. The thing is the movie wasn't made by Disney and the movie's success pretty much silenced any criticism the movie could have had from the political side of things. Although we still people like Grace Randolph just making dumb comments about the movie being successful because there was no BP in BP2
    Last edited by Username taken; 06-06-2023 at 07:07 AM.

Ultimate Member

A black woman was shot through her neighbor's door in Florida

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/05/us/fl...eud/index.html

According to the shooter, there was “a lot of aggressiveness” from both sides, as well as threats being made, and Owens was ultimately shot through the door, Woods said. Witnesses told authorities Owens went to the shooter’s home and knocked on the door before she was shot, according to the incident report. Owens was later pronounced dead at a hospital, authorities said. The woman who fired at Owens has been cooperating with law enforcement, the sheriff added. No arrest has been made in the case.
    While responding to criticism about how long the investigation and a possible arrest is taking, the sheriff referenced the state’s “stand your ground” law. The law allows people to meet “force with force” if they believe they or someone else is in danger of being seriously harmed by an assailant. “What a lot of people don’t understand is that law has specific instructions for us in law enforcement,” he said. “Any time that we think, or perceive or believe that that might come into play, we cannot make an arrest, the law specifically says that.” “What we have to rule out is whether the deadly force was justified or not before we can even make the arrest,” he said.
    This murderer will probably walk because of America's state-sanctioned violence laws and plain ol' racism.

Has July even released the comic he took money from people for? Too many scams happening on the anti-woke side of things.

The anti-woke crowd only hate what they are "told to hate". No original thoughts from that side of things.

There's "woke" stuff in Across the Spider-Verse like Miles school bag having a BLM badge on it. The thing is the movie wasn't made by Disney and the movie's success pretty much silenced any criticism the movie could have had from the political side of things. Although we still people like Grace Randolph just making dumb comments about the movie being successful because there was no BP in BP2
    He released the first issue in October of last year, Issue 2 is coming later this month. The site says "We will win." Win what? The culture war? The culture is always shifting, it can't be won. The only one winning is July and others like him, who is selling a middle tier Image comic for $35 an issue. He's convinced a lot of people that they're going to stick it to the woke people, except they arent.