Page 777 of 828 FirstFirst ... 277677727767773774775776777778779780781787827 ... LastLast
Results 11,641 to 11,655 of 12411

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post

Hello, everyone. Long time participants in this thread may remember that I'm an indie comic writer/creator. Just popping in to say the newest issue of my series DOUBLE DOSE is out and features a "new" character of mine called MEDUSAH OBLONGATA! Each issue of Double Dose features a different character, and each issue has two complete stories of that character illustrated by two different artists. Anyone interested can get physical or digital copies at https://www.mythworldemedia.com/
    Best of luck. That's a smart gimmick for an anthology by a new writer.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I remember seeing that still, that libertarian freak Eric July made a video about it, when he wasn't trying to get people to buy $30 single issues, is the comic printed on gold leaf paper or something? I still think the lockdowns accelerated all this. People spent way too much time online and needed something to get mad at, and out from the primordial ooze came the Legion of Contrarian Grifters to fill the void. There are so many of them and they all say the exact. same. things.

"Corporation went woke, they are bad!"

"This IP went woke, it's bad."

"Rainbows and trans people and drag queens, oh my!"

"Wokeness is just anything I don't like!"
    I think the lockdowns amped everything up but those anti-SJW guys and so-called "skeptics" had been around for a few years before that. A couple of them has since come out and regretted that their "edgy" humor and attacks of feminists and what not helped open the door for the alt-right. Of course, some of them leaned even harder into it and are just straight conservative grifters now.

Invincible Member

He released the first issue in October of last year, Issue 2 is coming later this month. The site says "We will win." Win what? The culture war? The culture is always shifting, it can't be won. The only one winning is July and others like him, who is selling a middle tier Image comic for $35 an issue. He's convinced a lot of people that they're going to stick it to the woke people, except they arent.
    He's winning the con game of separating folks from their money.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think the lockdowns amped everything up but those anti-SJW guys and so-called "skeptics" had been around for a few years before that. A couple of them has since come out and regretted that their "edgy" humor and attacks of feminists and what not helped open the door for the alt-right. Of course, some of them leaned even harder into it and are just straight conservative grifters now.
    It all goes back to the New Atheist movement in the early 2000s, I think it should be studied. The New Atheists were mostly a bunch of angry white guys who thought they were smarter than everyone else, they were a mostly left leaning bunch...except when it came to Islam. Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris didn't sound any different from crusaders waging a holy war, they were just as bloodthirsty and Islamophobic as any neocon. The rise of the debate me bro, the anti-sjw movement, the culture's superficial love of science, it goes back to them.

Ultimate Member

It all goes back to the New Atheist movement in the early 2000s, I think it should be studied. The New Atheists were mostly a bunch of angry white guys who thought they were smarter than everyone else, they were a mostly left leaning bunch...except when it came to Islam. Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris didn't sound any different from crusaders waging a holy war, they were just as bloodthirsty and Islamophobic as any neocon. The rise of the debate me bro, the anti-sjw movement, the culture's superficial love of science, it goes back to them.
    Man, the new atheists guys were sooooooooo smug and arrogant.

Not to mention flat out hateful.

Mighty Member

Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris didn't sound any different from crusaders waging a holy war, they were just as bloodthirsty and Islamophobic as any neocon. The rise of the debate me bro, the anti-sjw movement, the culture's superficial love of science, it goes back to them.
    I’ve come across a fair few Hitchens excerpts, obnoxious or otherwise, but I’ve yet to find one where he calls for religious types, including Muslims to be terrorized, barred from establishments, or killed. I’ve no experience with Harris whatsoever, though.

EDIT: Heck, I just now googled some Sam Harris quotes and all I’m seeing (so far) is similar verbal finger-wagging against religion in general.

Though, give anyone enough toxic fans (like the ones you mentioned) who are “louder” than the rest, and the air around them gets tainted all the same.

EDIT 2: Ah, okay. Now I see why there's a sour smell coming off Harris:

Chris Hedges accused Harris of "advancing neoconservative agendas", of advocating a nuclear first strike policy on Muslims, if an Islamist regime ever obtained nuclear weapons, and quoting from The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason by Harris that "in such a situation, the only thing likely to ensure our survival may be a nuclear first strike of our own." In 2018, Nathan J. Robinson also criticized Harris for promoting the possibility of a nuclear first strike on an Islamist regime.
    Yeah. However he rationalizes it, that one's really not going to fly with many who aren't already harboring dangerously raw feelings towards Muslims as a category.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 06-07-2023 at 02:53 PM.

He released the first issue in October of last year, Issue 2 is coming later this month. The site says "We will win." Win what? The culture war? The culture is always shifting, it can't be won. The only one winning is July and others like him, who is selling a middle tier Image comic for $35 an issue. He's convinced a lot of people that they're going to stick it to the woke people, except they arent.
    All the reviews I read about his book said his work was more average than he claimed the 'woke' comics were.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member

I noticed the usual suspects are complaining about Nico Parker being cast in How to Train a Dragon- the live action version.

Looking at the character and looking at Nico Parker, I can see why they cast her, if she puts on a blond wig, she pretty much looks the part (although I think she's naturally blond or something but I'm not sure).

Folks have a problem with her because she has a black African grandmother. She has a white father and a white grandfather, calling her "BlaCk" is a pretty weird. If folks are bringing in "one-drop classifications" into the discussion, then they are veering from right-wing commentators straight into white supremacy ideology. It's the same thing with Adele James as Cleopatra or Rachel Zegler as Snow White, folks are allowing their racism make them stupid.
    Last edited by Username taken; 06-09-2023 at 06:42 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I was hoping for an open world Prince of Persia game.

But we'll take what we get.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I was hoping for an open world Prince of Persia game.

But we'll take what we get.
    This game looks a like a lot of fun. I've been playing tears of the kingdom since launch and while I do like it, I'm a little burned out on open world games. I liked Sonic Frontiers, Immortal Fenyx Rising, and Spider Man when it got it's PC release. Im sure when Ghost of Tshushima gets ported I'll play it too.

Mortal Kombat gameplay trailer for those interested.

edited post.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Mortal Kombat gameplay trailer for those interested.
    They brought back Stryker? Thought he was the most hated MK character (well, other than Hsu Hao).

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    They brought back Stryker? Thought he was the most hated MK character (well, other than Hsu Hao).
    It appears he's only an assist character. Hsu Hao likely won't even get that dignity.