Page 537 of 826 FirstFirst ... 37437487527533534535536537538539540541547587637 ... LastLast
Results 8,041 to 8,055 of 12390
    Extraordinary Member

Today I learned that comedian and Actor Keegan Michael-Key from Key & Peele, is Dwayne McDuffie’s younger half-brother. What a small world.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    are their black Kansas farmers lol? And I mean not the workers, the people who actually own the land.

I'm from the land of corn/beans and I now live around the land of cotton/cabbage/hay/pecans and i've never seen a black farm owner in my life. Plenty of people working the fields are black or migrant mexicans but they don't own the fields.
    Yes black farmers do exist. There is some commercial on Tubi tv about a black family that started a bee farm.

Now the issue would be is how does this black alien probably taken in by white farmers since Kansas's black population is only 5% (that is probably mainly the basketball & football teams at the colleges). Be viewed by the population.

Is he going to be the only black kid in school? If he is the only black kid-hello culture shot when he goes to college.

You know what, not that I'd actually want to see this? But, there was a time (maybe still, I moved away) when you had whole city blocks of St. Louis that were pretty much empty, due to urban blight. Just completely vacant lots and boarded up houses.

There's a reimagining for you: The Kents have an urban farm in one of these areas, and that's where they find baby Kal-El. Maybe they see his ship crash on the banks of the Mississippi, not far from their farm. And young Clark Kent grows up black, in the city that has been the US murder capital for decades running.

Yeah, that would be a completely different character, of course! Oddly enough, still would be the child of a Midwestern farmer, though ... so, kind of surprising how very elastic that description can be, if you're creative about it!
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Ultimate Member

If WB want to do a black Superman, they really should work with a different version like Calvin Ellis.

He doesn't have to be President in this first movie. If it's a trilogy or ongoing movie series he could become President sometime later.

I don't think racebending Kal-EL and the Kents is the way to go. Then again, you could have the Kents raise a black child in a very,very white community thus making him even MORE of an outsider to the community. It's certainly an interesting discussion.

HOWEVER, what I don't like is the immediate loud, racist reaction to this stuff. I'm not saying that everyone that complains about Kal-El not being white is racist (it certainly isn't) but why is it that practically EVERYTING that involves black people involves this loud visceral reaction? It's part of what's got me into trouble on this board before with that ridiculous over the top racist reaction to BP getting a best picture nod. Seriously, I'm reading comments about how "they'd rather see a latino Superman or Asian Superman but NOT a black Superman". Why? Why not a black Superman or Batman or Wonder Woman? Why is it when black people involved it turns into a zero-sum game?? We're even seeing it with the Red Sonja casting, Hannah John-Kamen is a very light skinned biracial girl but just because she has a Nigeria father people are freaking out. This stuff is tiring. Even at political level, Joe Biden signed acts immediately he became President protecting certain minorities but when it comes to black people, everything stalls. The Emmett Till lynching act hasn't passed, the George Floyd policing act hasn't passed and lets not even get into the discussion about reparations. Why is it that immediately black people get into certain discussions people freak out?

It's tiring, it's sickening and it's boring at this point (rant over).

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    If WB want to do a black Superman, they really should work with a different version like Calvin Ellis.

He doesn't have to be President in this first movie. If it's a trilogy or ongoing movie series he could become President sometime later.

I don't think racebending Kal-EL and the Kents is the way to go. Then again, you could have the Kents raise a black child in a very,very white community thus making him even MORE of an outsider to the community. It's certainly an interesting discussion.

HOWEVER, what I don't like is the immediate loud, racist reaction to this stuff. I'm not saying that everyone that complains about Kal-El not being white is racist (it certainly isn't) but why is it that practically EVERYTING that involves black people involves this loud visceral reaction? It's part of what's got me into trouble on this board before with that ridiculous over the top racist reaction to BP getting a best picture nod. Seriously, I'm reading comments about how "they'd rather see a latino Superman or Asian Superman but NOT a black Superman". Why? Why not a black Superman or Batman or Wonder Woman? Why is it when black people involved it turns into a zero-sum game?? We're even seeing it with the Red Sonja casting, Hannah John-Kamen is a very light skinned biracial girl but just because she has a Nigeria father people are freaking out. This stuff is tiring. Even at political level, Joe Biden signed acts immediately he became President protecting certain minorities but when it comes to black people, everything stalls. The Emmett Till lynching act hasn't passed, the George Floyd policing act hasn't passed and lets not even get into the discussion about reparations. Why is it that immediately black people get into certain discussions people freak out?

They don't consider asians or mexicans or natives or whatever other minority a threat.

Probably a numbers thing. And the fact black americans don't tend to go quietly in the night when **** hits the fan.

So, they are more scared of black people so the response against them is stronger.

Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Mighty Member

I'm guessing, when it comes to racially toxic white people, specifically, they think that of all those non-white and marginalized, black people have it "out for them" the most. Like it's all part of one long ploy to degrade them or worse, out of bitterness for.....well, see the utter sewage of mistreatment black people have had to wade through throughout America's history. Further complicating things are those of other marginalized ethnicities who insist that it's "their turn" to shine after putting up with racist bullshit as well.

Still, I cant read minds, and opinions vary even amidst the same demographics, so I recommend a grain of salt to go with my two cents.

I'm reminded of an explanation I saw for why #Stop Asian Hate didn't get as much pushback as #Black Lives Matter.

The short of it is that Stop Asian Hate can be framed in such a way that it is only calling out individual acts of racism against Asians while BLM is explicitly attacking systematic oppression and murder of black people.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm reminded of an explanation I saw for why #Stop Asian Hate didn't get as much pushback as #Black Lives Matter.

The short of it is that Stop Asian Hate can be framed in such a way that it is only calling out individual acts of racism against Asians while BLM is explicitly attacking systematic oppression and murder of black people.
    Good point. And some even go further and oppose Western civilization (captalism usually included) as a whole as a "putrid bastion of whiteness" - claiming it only achieved all that it did through mustache-twirling exploitation and theft from those mostly of darker skin tone - and should be supplanted by whatever ideal vision they currently have in their heads.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 05-07-2021 at 05:08 AM.

Talk about it. Man we've all got to develop a leveling up of ignoring the assholes. No denying one thing, they don't have much else and they feel it is an identity attack. Further we go, they will just burn hotter and hotter til they burn out and the internet is the last 'safe' space they can traffic in but as we know, that's just empty calories.

Don't forget the jealousy component over a group that has been marginalized and brutalized from the jump and even throughout all that have contributed more than the majority in culture and blood alone. A group who does in large part, refuses to assimilate and to them the worst of it is many parts of the larger landscape begins to reflect us.

It came up on podcast from one of my sports guys I rock with and they asked Danny Ainge why there are so few white American born players in the NBA. It's not why one would think that the athleticism keep them out. Largely throughout all work and social associations (including their own) one would have to make, so this is more so in the modern game with the AAU. To try and make it to the league his point was that, THEY DON'T WANT TO BE THE MINORITY. That ultimately know what that is from their perspective and it's connotations. An angle I'd never personally thought of. The influx of European players were supposed to quell some of contributions by all the brothas but that did the opposite helped push out the remaining white ones.

Btw, the Black population in Kansas City, Kansas in 2019 was 35,424 out of 152K, yo lol. So I feel there are several opportunities for uh, realistic depictions of Black farm ownership among that number somewhere in that group. God knows what the rest of them do.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Exactly.

Look at what they've done to BLM. No matter how well meaning it is for black people, it's always warped into something else.

How can people saying their lives matter be twisted into a bad thing??? It's so insane.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    I'm guessing, when it comes to racially toxic white people, specifically, they think that of all those non-white and marginalized, black people have it "out for them" the most. Like it's all part of one long ploy to degrade them or worse, out of bitterness for.....well, see the utter sewage of mistreatment black people have had to wade through throughout America's history. Further complicating things are those of other marginalized ethnicities who insist that it's "their turn" to shine after putting up with racist bullshit as well.

Still, I cant read minds, and opinions vary even amidst the same demographics, so I recommend a grain of salt to go with my two cents.
    True.

It's like they've mistreated black people so,so,so badly in the Americas and the West Indies that they are now totally afraid of them.

And white supremacy is so baked into US society that anything involving black people is immediately questioned, downplayed and waved away. I mean, legislators are actually debating the merits of slavery. I can't imagine this sort of discussions taking place in any first world society except the US.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Talk about it. Man we've all got to develop a leveling up of ignoring the assholes. No denying one thing, they don't have much else and they feel it is an identity attack. Further we go, they will just burn hotter and hotter til they burn out and the internet is the last 'safe' space they can traffic in but as we know, that's just empty calories.

Don't forget the jealousy component over a group that has been marginalized and brutalized from the jump and even throughout all that have contributed more than the majority in culture and blood alone. A group who does in large part, refuses to assimilate and to them the worst of it is many parts of the larger landscape begins to reflect us.

It came up on podcast from one of my sports guys I rock with and they asked Danny Ainge why there are so few white American born players in the NBA. It's not why one would think that the athleticism keep them out. Largely throughout all work and social associations (including their own) one would have to make, so this is more so in the modern game with the AAU. To try and make it to the league his point was that, THEY DON'T WANT TO BE THE MINORITY. That ultimately know what that is from their perspective and it's connotations. An angle I'd never personally thought of. The influx of European players were supposed to quell some of contributions by all the brothas but that did the opposite helped push out the remaining white ones.

Btw, the Black population in Kansas City, Kansas in 2019 was 35,424 out of 152K, yo lol. So I feel there are several opportunities for uh, realistic depictions of Black farm ownership among that number somewhere in that group. God knows what the rest of them do.
    Funny enough, I never even thought about the bolded.

That's a very interesting point.

Exactly.

Look at what they've done to BLM. No matter how well meaning it is for black people, it's always warped into something else.

How can people saying their lives matter be twisted into a bad thing??? It's so insane.
    if BLM started with Floyd instead of Brown, I wonder if it would have ended up any different.

but yeah... BLM causes such a rise out of people now, idk how much good it really does.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    They don't consider asians or mexicans or natives or whatever other minority a threat.

Probably a numbers thing. And the fact black americans don't tend to go quietly in the night when **** hits the fan.

So, they are more scared of black people so the response against them is stronger.

Yeah, it's similar to Ragged Maw said.

It's like they've so maltreated black people that they are now utterly terrified of them.

And this fear and paranoia has been passed down generations and people like Tucker Carlson and the GOP are doing everything to maintain this.

Mighty Member

Exactly.

Considering how many otherwise unremarkable (at face value) slogans in recent years have been painted as "symbols of hatred", pretty damn easily, it seems.