Page 396 of 827 FirstFirst ... 296346386392393394395396397398399400406446496 ... LastLast
Results 5,926 to 5,940 of 12391

Review and short interview about my comic

https://indiecomixdispatch.com/revie...of-myth-smith/
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    So I read Ms Marvel with Kamala Khan and posted my thoughts on the series in her thread in the Marvel board. I really enjoyed it. I had never seen a Muslim hero or never had seen media with Muslims where they were not the typical kill America terrorist's or joke characters who cant fit into American society. So reading her was very pleasant.

I have not read many comics with a minority as the lead. I read mostly 60s and 70s Marvel which did have Storm as a member of The Xmen and Black Panther as a member of The Avengers but they were not main characters in the sense it focused on them and their life. And also Golden age Dc which have no POC unless they are used in racist stereotypical ways.

I was wondering what are some good comics with minorities that not just focus on the hero but also the home life of the hero. I really enjoyed seeing how Kamala interacted with her family and those around her.

Thanks for the help.
    A DC You series I liked was Dr. Fate. The Lead character's name was Khalid Nassour, he was half egyptian on his father's side. Kent Nelson was his great uncle. He was going to med school and trying to become a doctor before being chosen to wield the helmet of fate. Paul Levitz wrote the book, I forget who the artist was. Levitz did a pretty decent job on it, It reminded me of a more mature Ms. Marvel and I could relate to it pretty well. Khalid does interact with his family and his girlfriend a lot in the series.

Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah, the directors of Bad Boys For Life, Oscar winner Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, and The Walking Dead's Meera Menon will be helming the Ms. Marvel series.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...iew_id=4062541

So I read Ms Marvel with Kamala Khan and posted my thoughts on the series in her thread in the Marvel board. I really enjoyed it. I had never seen a Muslim hero or never had seen media with Muslims where they were not the typical kill America terrorist's or joke characters who cant fit into American society. So reading her was very pleasant.

I have not read many comics with a minority as the lead. I read mostly 60s and 70s Marvel which did have Storm as a member of The Xmen and Black Panther as a member of The Avengers but they were not main characters in the sense it focused on them and their life. And also Golden age Dc which have no POC unless they are used in racist stereotypical ways.

I was wondering what are some good comics with minorities that not just focus on the hero but also the home life of the hero. I really enjoyed seeing how Kamala interacted with her family and those around her.

Thanks for the help.
    Miles Morales (Ultimate Comics Spider-Man vol 2; 31 issues)
    Jaime Reyes (Blue Beetle vol 7; 36 issues)
    Robbie Reyes (All New Ghost Rider; 12 issues)
    Khalid Nassour (Dr Fate vol 4; 18 issues)
    Jason Rusch (Firestorm vol 3; 35 issues)
    Virgil Hawkins (Static vol 1; 45 issues)
    Sam Alexander (Nova vol 5; 31 issues)
    Derek James (Sideways vol 1; 13 issues)

Those are some of my favorites, Jaime and Miles being the standouts in my view.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am reading the Ultimate line right now. So I am going to get to Miles soon. I will scope out some of the others as well. I am trying to expand my reading past just 60s and early 70s and Golden age Dc white heroes. i am also going to be looking into some good female characters.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I am reading the Ultimate line right now. So I am going to get to Miles soon. I will scope out some of the others as well. I am trying to expand my reading past just 60s and early 70s and Golden age Dc white heroes. i am also going to be looking into some good female characters.
    Check out some of the old Milestone books. Especially Static, Blood Syndicate, Hardware, and Icon.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by KOSLOX View Post
    Check out some of the old Milestone books. Especially Static, Blood Syndicate, Hardware, and Icon.
    I have been wanting to check out that line since I saw them on Robert Kirkman's Secret History of Comics. How is the line overall? Are there ones that I should avoid?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Ultimate Member

I have been wanting to check out that line since I saw them on Robert Kirkman's Secret History of Comics. How is the line overall? Are there ones that I should avoid?
    KOSLOX suggestions are very much on point. Those were the core Milestone titles.

Although, Blood Syndicate might be a little difficult because there's "gangs" stuff in it. It's not pervasive but the Blood Syndicate aren't altruistic heroes and the book is quite violent.

Ultimate Member

Watching Lovecraft Country. Maybe it's me but I found the racism much more horrifying than any of the monsters the main guys faced. And Courtney B Vance is turning into the black Sean Bean (wink wink).

All this being said, is there some edict that there has to be black male nudity on these tv series? Between Altered Carbon, Watchmen, Power and now this, I'm a little tired of seeing naked black men on tv.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Watching Lovecraft Country. Maybe it's me but I found the racism much more horrifying than any of the monsters the main guys faced. And Courtney B Vance is turning into the black Sean Bean (wink wink).

All this being said, is there some edict that there has to be black male nudity on these tv series? Between Altered Carbon, Watchmen, Power and now this, I'm a little tired of seeing naked black men on tv.
    Nudity in general on primetime TV/streaming is nothing new. Hell, Game of Thrones practically codified it for the post-millenium age.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 09-19-2020 at 09:41 AM.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    Nudity in general on primetime TV/streaming is nothing new. Hell, Game of Thrones practically codified it for the post-millenium age.
    Exactly. Unless you're against nudity in general ( and there's nothing wrong with that if you are), I'm not sure why black or minority men shouldn't get to be perceived as eye candy.

Lunella Lafayette (Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur) is also a pretty cool character. Her book is a bit different from the others because she is by far the youngest, but I enjoyed reading her stories.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

It's too bad they won't likely do the Tulsa scene since it was already touched on in Watchmen.

That **** was terrifying in the book and it doesn't involve any shibboleths.

The part where they have to escape the sundown county was also peak existential horror for me, but it had more of an adventure tone on the show.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

It's like any line, some titles weren't as strong but i don't know about avoid per se.

Those four would get you a pretty comprehensive view of the universe though.

I didn't love Shadow Cabinet, but that's essentially the Avengers/JLA of the Dakotaverse.

Also, Milestone Returns is releasing early next year, so you can check out the rebooted Dakotaverse.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 09-19-2020 at 12:21 PM.
    Pull List:

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Lunella Lafayette (Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur) is also a pretty cool character. Her book is a bit different from the others because she is by far the youngest, but I enjoyed reading her stories.
    Moon Girl is required reading. One of my old high school classmates buys the trades for her daughters.

I would offer the current Savage Dragon run-Malcolm his son is the lead. Now I will WARN you that is a bit too much sexual content at times (he has 4 kids-3 of them got concieved in a foursome.). Malcolm is half black due to his mother and his wife is Asian (and MAN does she have a sex drive.) Start with issue 193.

While not a super hero-Goldie Vance from Boom. She is biracial and I didn't know she was gay until much later on. It takes place in the 1950s and interesting no takes issue with her sexuality or her dating a woman.

Fence from Boom. Not really super heroes but a series that had LGBT content but it's never the focus.
    Stealth which is ending next month from Image. A son deals with the fact his dad who has mental health issues was the hero Stealth.

Excellence.
    Valiant's Shadow Man either one
    Image's Prodigy-think Mr Terrific without the tech
    Farm Hands
    Bitter Root
    Vault's Mall
    Stronghold
    Number 13-a book about a black cyborg
    Valliant's Livewire
    Relay
    Vertigo's American Way 1 & 2
    Vertigo's Unknown Solider
    Watson & Holmes if you can find the trades
    Dead Letters from Boom
    The Man Who F#$#ed up Time (just ended)
    Gasolina
    The Fuse
    Marvel's Mosaic
    All New Inhumans vol 2
    Steel although the family vanishes before Priest takes over.
    Eve Ewing's Riri. More on the grounds of using who you have versus making more new folks. She took an old New Warriors foe and linked them to Riri. Which could help the New Warriors further down the road.

Honorable mention Doomed-which probably needed another 6 issues to fully explain baby Doomsday.

Are there ones that I should avoid?
    Kobalt is you must avoid one. Although Static appears in one issue (Jamal Igle's first book). Think a very grumpy Deathstroke being told he had to train his friend's kid-who is nowhere near Tim Drake's skills.

Miles Morales (Ultimate Comics Spider-Man vol 2; 31 issues)
    Jaime Reyes (Blue Beetle vol 7; 36 issues)

Robbie Reyes (All New Ghost Rider; 12 issues)
    Khalid Nassour (Dr Fate vol 4; 18 issues)
    Jason Rusch (Firestorm vol 3; 35 issues)

Virgil Hawkins (Static vol 1; 45 issues)
    Sam Alexander (Nova vol 5; 31 issues)
    Derek James (Sideways vol 1; 13 issues)
    To me the ones in bold are required reading.

Static to me is this is how you do it without preaching or pandering and how a kid deals with powers and normal life. Tim Drake's Robin run was just the same.