Page 775 of 827 FirstFirst ... 275675725765771772773774775776777778779785825 ... LastLast
Results 11,611 to 11,625 of 12395
    Mighty Member

To keep it going, the Shredder, a light-skinned Japanese man was most famously played by James Avery and more recently by Kevin Michael Richardson. I think it’s been apparent well since the art’s inception that voice acting is a rather different “ballgame” from live action.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    I definitely see his point. Make it a clearly fantasy world, or ... well, his suggestion about post-revolutionary Haiti isn't bad. I mean, I honestly doubt it would have occurred to me if he hadn't pointed it out ... but I don't think he's wrong.
    Sure it's one thing to say that maybe the movie could have done more to represent Afro-Caribbean culture or history...but he's kind of buying into the idea that a story about black people can't be taken seriously unless it's about slavery or segregation It reminds me of hearing an interview with the black director who did that sci-fi underground railroad show ( I didn't see it). The interviewer asks him "What about the black people who say why do we need yet another movie about black pain?" And he said, "That's like saying our story shouldn't be told..." And I thought "No, they're saying we've got more than one story and those stories are about more than just our collective trauma..."

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    And I thought "No, they're saying we've got more than one story and those stories are about more than just our collective trauma..."
    I find that to be a fine thought indeed!
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

Sure it's one thing to say that maybe the movie could have done more to represent Afro-Caribbean culture or history...but he's kind of buying into the idea that a story about black people can't be taken seriously unless it's about slavery or segregation It reminds me of hearing an interview with the black director who did that sci-fi underground railroad show ( I didn't see it). The interviewer asks him "What about the black people who say why do we need yet another movie about black pain?" And he said, "That's like saying our story shouldn't be told..." And I thought "No, they're saying we've got more than one story and those stories are about more than just our collective trauma..."
    Eh, I admittedly only skimmed, but I didn't take it that way. I mean, you could still have black people (and an overall cast that actually reflects a diverse society) in a setting that's clearly established as a fantasy world. I mean, the fact that some people are offended if everyone in a completely made-up world is not white, seems pretty directly relevant? Besides, I thought the suggestion about Haiti didn't come with any kind of heavy-handed reference to slavery, but more a struggle for independence and a happily unified society that resulted? True, that would be a literally Disneyfied version of the history ... I don't know, might have been better, though?

You know, it's not so much like I feel like I need to take up this guy's flag and fight for the cause or anything. I just don't think his argument is as ridiculous as the Yahoo thing meant to make it seem.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Never really understand the hate for voice actors. God of war is one of my favorite games of all time and there can be no other Kratos than Christopher Judge same with James Earl Jones as Darth Vader.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    To keep it going, the Shredder, a light-skinned Japanese man was most famously played by James Avery and more recently by Kevin Michael Richardson. I think it’s been apparent well since the art’s inception that voice acting is a rather different “ballgame” from live action.
    Quote Originally Posted by JT221 View Post
    Agreed. Seems a silly thing to get upset about.
    Agreed with all of this.

"Online outrage" like this can severely limit voice actors opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    https://us.yahoo.com/lifestyle/wait-...200744416.html

We're living in weird times.

Imagine criticizing a fantasy film for "erasing slavery".
    That's not nearly as hilarious as criticizing a kids movie for lacking "kink".

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lack-KINK.html

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    They generally don't.

A simple "we have not announced the casting yet" and end it there would have be more than enough.

I do have a question would those same folks attack Dwayne McDuffie for the voices on his shows?

Amy Acker isn't Italian yet voiced Huntress on JLU
    Jason Mardsen isn't gay but Richie was in Static Shock
    Sheryl Lee Ralph is black but Cheetah hasn't been black.
    Will Friedle isn't Romanian like Nightwing

Last time I checked Phil Lamarr is not Asian. Yet Samurai Jack is. Nor is he white like Dr. Kirk Langstrom (who he voiced once).

I do not understand going after the writer for something he might not had a say or the FINAL say in.

That would be someone like Andrea Romano. And only time that would change is if they did a test reading and didn't like the way it went.
    Will Friedle didn't voice Nightwing in the DCAU and DCAU Nightwing isn't Romani either.

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/x-men-97-beau-de...t-controversy/

I have ZERO sympathy/empathy for this guy… I hope he and a voice actor get the boot from the show in face.. So sick & tried of folks whitewashed & lightin up this character & to many others aswell
    This seems like a stupid controversy. I can understand being upset if they actually lighten the character's look but complaining about the voice actor is silly.

Ultimate Member

Let me translate that for you-

"If I don't toss in black trauma-certain parts of the community won't support it. Let alone I might not get all the funding that I got for this."

Because you got folks who think slavery and segregation is all we got.

Then when Fox News wants to yell at us about stop crying about racism. How can we stop when slavery and segregation films and books is all publishers and studios want made?

I went to a book fair months ago and of the 10 black lead book that had copies being given out-2 did not deal with racism or slavery. Of the books you could buy? 10 and 7 of the writers were WHITE.

Then when we get films and books that don't do that-what happens?? Mothers of Liberty gets them BANNED in school. Or we see nonstop pages of complaints like we see around here at times. See Jerry Craft's New Kid which is now on book 3 and all of them are banned in certain school districts.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    This seems like a stupid controversy. I can understand being upset if they actually lighten the character's look but complaining about the voice actor is silly.
    I'm somewhat ambivalent towards voice actors matching the race of their characters. Voice acting is difficult to get into and I imagine it's even tougher for a voice actor who isn't white. Overall, it's probably best to just go far a match up as much as is possible, if only to avoid a situation where a white voice actor ends up creating a caricature of a non-white person. I don't know enough about this X-Men voice actor to know if that would have been the case.

I've been listening to the soundtrack of the game Anarchy Reigns. Did anyone play that game when it came out in 2012/2013? What did you think of the "Blacker Baron" character?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm somewhat ambivalent towards voice actors matching the race of their characters. Voice acting is difficult to get into and I imagine it's even tougher for a voice actor who isn't white. Overall, it's probably best to just go far a match up as much as is possible, if only to avoid a situation where a white voice actor ends up creating a caricature of a non-white person. I don't know enough about this X-Men voice actor to know if that would have been the case.
    Yes but the complaints aren't about him being a caricature. It's about his complexion only. The VA actually is Brazilian, iirc.

Isn't that whole controversy just that the writer decided to stop posting on Twitter? I didn't think either lost their job over it?
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Isn't that whole controversy just that the writer decided to stop posting on Twitter? I didn't think either lost their job over it?
    As I understand it, yes.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

The X-Men have seemed to have an issue with Black males for the longest time. Like the X-Men's main selling point is being inclusive...unless you're a black male, there aren't a lot of them, and they tend to treat the ones they do have poorly. I was kind of amazed they brought synch back.

I've kind of felt this way for a while, it's why, despite my efforts, I can't seem to click with the X-Men very well.