Page 231 of 827 FirstFirst ... 131181221227228229230231232233234235241281331731 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,465 of 12396
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If there is one possible advantage to powering down non white characters, it that it can maybe take some heat from racist white fans off their back. But given what such people are like they'd just look for another reason to hate them.
    and the only thing that promotes is the idea that non white characters can't be among the best at things. One of the key reasons why folks like Rey, Captain Marvel, Wonder Woman and more is because they're among the top tier of their respective universes. The fact that we have to settle for mid tier, low tier characters just reflects societies fear of seeing us as among the best.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I feel like "Mary Sue" is one of those terms that has been misused so often on the net that it has ceased to have any meaning. See also "edgelord".
    Also, see "hipster."

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post

^I Posted a little while back about the updates happening with my previously released comics (new colors, lettering, etc). Well, finally got that done and Double Dose #1 and Myth Smith #0 are off to the printer, gearing up for Free Comic Book Day.

^A panel from Myth Smith #1, which is still in the process of being colored...
    It doesn't get said enough around here, but with all the stuff we're always complaining about with comics, it's great that you're one of the dudes transforming things in your own way, with your own corner of the industry. I bitch a lot about everything, but I greatly respect your ambition and drive.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    It doesn't get said enough around here, but with all the stuff we're always complaining about with comics, it's great that you're one of the dudes transforming things in your own way, with your own corner of the industry. I bitch a lot about everything, but I greatly respect your ambition and drive.
    Thanks! I truly appreciate that.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    A big problem with giving editors way too much power is they can choke off creativity basically and cause stagnation.t A fact that Marvel saw this happen with the X-Men in the 1990's/early 2000's. It also reared again and hurt things as well. Some examples ...

So there is always an issue with giving editors too much power. They can worry more about keeping things in place and not hurting sales or just driving writers off repeatedly by demands.
    Your examples are greatly appreciated. Recently I heard about the much beloved Mark Gruenwald abusing his powers as an editor on Avengers to benefit his own run on Captain America. There needs to be some tug and pull between editors and creators. In addition some of the best editors are those who give guidance and oversight, guys like Archie Goodwin. Whatever that balance needed is it isn't there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    "Mary Sue" is a misused term. It supposed to be used to describe a writer insert character who outclasses and is beloved by the canon characters. It doesn't mean any character who is overpowered.
    One example I have is Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hills Cop. He's a loud mouth schnook of a cop but back at his Detroit station he's beloved and he has answer to every situation. A non-Mary Sue is Chris Tucker in Rush Hour, also a loud mouth cop but guys back at his station can't stand him and he needs Jackie Chan as a partner to help him out.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Well the definition of Mary Sue ties specifically to the self insert near perfect character "in fanfiction." It has nothing to do with overpowered. If you have an issue with characters being overpowered in your opinion than that's certainly your right to do so, but it's still not a mary sue. People interchange the two words as if they share the same meaning when a Mary Sue has specific ties to fan fiction.
    Just because a term originates from a milieu, fan fiction, doesn't mean it's only applicable there. Professional writers are not exempt from the causes and results of a Mary Sue.

Invincible Member

I dunno...we might have to agree to disagree on the meaning of Mary Sue. Your definition could just as easily apply to James Bond and Sherlock Holmes. Even Bugs Bunny.

A post calling out fans for erasing Miles Morales' latino heritage.

https://ubernegro.tumblr.com/post/18...t-this-like-it

Oh and a certain ending for a certain character in Mortal Kombat has attracted some stupid controversy.

https://www.themarysue.com/jax-morta...t-11-backlash/
    Last edited by Agent Z; 04-23-2019 at 01:07 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    Just because a term originates from a milieu, fan fiction, doesn't mean it's only applicable there. Professional writers are not exempt from the causes and results of a Mary Sue.
    Yes it does, because the entire purpose behind the term mary sue was that fan fiction writers were writing themselves into franchises they loved (the first being star trek I believe) and made themselves the star of the franchise in their story. So trying to remove the fan fiction portions removes the very essence of the meaning behind the term. It's like trying to say racism also means the discrimination against white women for being a woman just because they share the same core values of discrimination. That's why we have a separate term for that, Sexism.
    Last edited by leo619; 04-23-2019 at 09:04 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    It was Mark. Couldn't have been Jim, since he'd just recently been fired, and wasn't making any edicts any more.

Mark wanted to boost sales on Captain America (which he wrote) by having him in a bigger spotlight as leader of the Avengers (which he edited).

He was both smart and a nice guy, but it was an absolute conflict of interest that shouldn't have happened.

kdb
    Thanks for the correction!

Really enjoy Astro City!

Ultimate Member

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/04...ing-down-work/

Larry Stroman on turning down work and of course certain folks get offended.

Mental health isn't specifically tied to the premise of this thread, but since it's sort of become a catch all thread for issues that are generally ignored or stigmatized in the broader comics media discussion I figure this is as good of a place as any to talk about Heroes In Crisis.

I think it's probably one of the better stories I've read, especially in conveying how isolation and ptsd can manifest seemingly out of nowhere and cause horrible actions.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Mental health isn't specifically tied to the premise of this thread, but since it's sort of become a catch all thread for issues that are generally ignored or stigmatized in the broader comics media discussion I figure this is as good of a place as any to talk about Heroes In Crisis.

I think it's probably one of the better stories I've read, especially in conveying how isolation and ptsd can manifest seemingly out of nowhere and cause horrible actions.
    cliffs lol?

No idea what HIC is
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    cliffs lol?

No idea what HIC is
    Its an event DC is doing right now. Basically Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman created a health and wellness facility to help heroes deal with PTSD. Everyone there ended up dead other than Booster Gold and Harley Quinn and they both are unreliable narrators.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

HUNSTVILLE, Texas (KTRK) -- More than 20 years ago, the dragging death of James Byrd Jr. shocked the nation.

John William King, 44, an avowed racist who orchestrated the attack, is slated to be put to death Wednesday in Huntsville. He will be the second man executed in the case.

This crime has changed the life of local filmmaker Ricky Jason, who says he's planning to travel to Huntsville because he wants to make sure the person he calls evil is executed.
    Rot in hell.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.