Page 232 of 827 FirstFirst ... 132182222228229230231232233234235236242282332732 ... LastLast
Results 3,466 to 3,480 of 12396

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Its an event DC is doing right now. Basically Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman created a health and wellness facility to help heroes deal with PTSD. Everyone there ended up dead other than Booster Gold and Harley Quinn and they both are unreliable narrators.
    Mental Health seems to be a thing with Tom King, HiC, Mister Miracle, Vision, his Batman run. I just hope unlike MM, he sticks the landing this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Mental Health seems to be a thing with Tom King, HiC, Mister Miracle, Vision, his Batman run. I just hope unlike MM, he sticks the landing this time.
    A lot of DC fans are really furious, but since I'm pretty casual about DC I think its a really interesting story.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Heroes In Crisis could have been an interesting story as an exploration of mental health. Unfortunately, it also decided to be a murder mystery which ends up muddying the waters. Basically, you have a bunch of people being killed while seeking help and of course, spoilers:
    the culprit is a patient once again equating trauma with violence and murder.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Heroes In Crisis could have been an interesting story as an exploration of mental health. Unfortunately, it also decided to be a murder mystery which ends up muddying the waters. Basically, you have a bunch of people being killed while seeking help and of course, spoilers:
    the culprit is a patient once again equating trauma with violence and murder.
    end of spoilers
    Your input covered in your spoiler tag is certainly a better critique of the story than the other complaints I've read.

I think those aspects are inherent in the genre, though what I find more interesting is the idea of someone who seemingly is well adjusted suddenly "snapping".

I've lost a friend to suicide, that no one saw coming, but in retrospect we probably could have. But people tend to soldier on and mask what is bothering them even to their closest friends.

Because of that I think it's interesting that Booster, who had a very public break, and Harley, who is basically a caricature of mental issues, were chosen as the "foils".
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Your input covered in your spoiler tag is certainly a better critique of the story than the other complaints I've read.

I think those aspects are inherent in the genre, though what I find more interesting is the idea of someone who seemingly is well adjusted suddenly "snapping".

I've lost a friend to suicide, that no one saw coming, but in retrospect we probably could have. But people tend to soldier on and mask what is bothering them even to their closest friends.

Because of that I think it's interesting that Booster, who had a very public break, and Harley, who is basically a caricature of mental issues, were chosen as the "foils".
    I think this story was ever going to be an effective depiction of someone with mental health issues it couldn't do that by following genre conventions. Which is Heroes in Crisis' biggest sin.

In a way, it's still relying on caricatures of mental health issues.

I think this story was ever going to be an effective depiction of someone with mental health issues it couldn't do that by following genre conventions. Which is Heroes in Crisis' biggest sin.

In a way, it's still relying on caricatures of mental health issues.

Extraordinary Member

Ever find yourself in a situation and ponder: what would Rick James do?

Ultimate Member

A lot of DC fans are really furious, but since I'm pretty casual about DC I think its a really interesting story.
    They are mad because the story is being used to get rid or trash characters the head of the company has made it clear he doesn't like them because they do something to his favorites.
    And for many this mess has been going on for 10+ years.

And they are also mad because this hatred of certain folks are not guys who couldn't sell a solo like Cyborg-it's folks who have had long runs, been on tv and are fan favorites.

The story you are reading is NOT the one Tom King wanted to tell. He was forced to add crap like killing by ordered of one person.
    Same mess you saw with Identity Crisis. You could have told that story without killing Tim Drake's dad or Cap Boomerang.

Event stuff like this has to include killing of a set of characters that someone does not care for according to a former employee.
    This makes what McDuffie said clearer back when Blackest Night was happening. I made a comment about Static might die in that event and he said "That is NOT allowed." Which explains why he was nowhere to be found in Blackest Night & Flashpoint.

Or why Duke vanished from Dark Metal event.

If you took Wally out of that mess and toss in say Cyborg-you would see a different reaction. Because you could show how dangerous Cyborg could be. Folks forget he has a motherbox in him.
    HE does have motivation for PSTD. Dead mother, lover in another universe, he always get torn up by someone, he gets hacked into way too easy and his outdated look.

Or do what you suggested put it in a non cannon universe.

What Dan is doing NOW is playing with fire. Those fans are going to get TIRED of this nonsense. Sooner than later fans are going to start walking away.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post

Kidnap women and fire an AK at LA Rioters (with The Lemonheads Evan Dando)?
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 04-24-2019 at 03:00 PM.
    Pull List:

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Mental health isn't specifically tied to the premise of this thread, but since it's sort of become a catch all thread for issues that are generally ignored or stigmatized in the broader comics media discussion I figure this is as good of a place as any to talk about Heroes In Crisis.

I think it's probably one of the better stories I've read, especially in conveying how isolation and ptsd can manifest seemingly out of nowhere and cause horrible actions.
    The recent Justice League vs. The Fatal Five movie had a really interesting take on both PTSD and schizophrenia for two different characters. I'd recommend it, because it really did remind me of reading Heroes in Crisis.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    The recent Justice League vs. The Fatal Five movie had a really interesting take on both PTSD and schizophrenia for two different characters. I'd recommend it, because it really did remind me of reading Heroes in Crisis.
    I really liked that movie.
    Pull List:

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    And they are also mad because this hatred of certain folks are not guys who couldn't sell a solo like Cyborg-it's folks who have had long runs, been on tv and are fan favorites.
    Gnark is a fan favorite now?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Gnark is a fan favorite now?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post

Uhhhmmm, not in any specific instance per sea but I'm a huge Rick the Ruler fan and a bi-weekly pay period rarely goes by where I don't listen to something he produced or performed. His personality came through in his music so much more than a lot of other artists so I guess I have a palate of what he might or might not do, from afar. Just so it's out there the man was a brilliant musician, arranger, composer and performer. He kept the lights on at Mowtown in the early 80s- yea that Mowtown so a mind like that does operate in a high functioning capacity. That narcotic ruined many a talent and many a life and fair or unfair, it's unfortunate that's the frame of most anybody that realized, way to late, what a hell of a drug coke was.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

You know, Marvel has no problem giving us some fan service

Okoye, Widow, and SW teaming up to fight Proxima is fan service

spoilers:
    all the females just happen to team up in End game is female fan service
    end of spoilers

And I am down for it. Movies should have fan service... it is made for the fans.

So when we gonna get that "all black heroes together" fan service lol?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html