Page 556 of 827 FirstFirst ... 56456506546552553554555556557558559560566606656 ... LastLast
Results 8,326 to 8,340 of 12395
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I didnt see WR, don't have an opinion on it.

I have some thoughts on the genre itself though.

Military Action flicks might be even more Director dependent than regular Action movies, which is saying something.

If you took away all the shaky cam, would anybody even like the Bourne movies? Jason Bourne has all the personality of a Zombie. I saw Olympus Has Fallen and I can't remember a single thing about the main character other than him being played by Gerald Butler.

It's a hard genre to stand out in. There's a ton of it already, much of it looks identical and the heroes of these kind of stories don't stand out all that much unless you are counting the over the top stuff like Rambo.

Say what you will about the Cop movie genre, but at least those movies seem to demand that thier protagonists stand out which makes the movies themselves more memorable. They can be bloodthirsty, corrupt, perverted or insane. Sometimes all at once.

Military Action movies tend not to produce roles like Popeye Doyle or Alonzo Harris, that Oscar bait stuff.
    Funny thing is a lot of critics said MBJ did a great job but the movie was bad. Agree about Bourne but that's the thing critics seem to like action movies where the lead is unconvincing. And there is a double standard. I think there should be a action movie IQ test in order for critics to judge these movies lol.
    There was some over the top stuff in WR too. When he stepped inside that burning car and locked the door to interrogate that dude that **** was cray.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 06-15-2021 at 05:43 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Bourne wasn't supposed to have a lot of personality. But he had good action scenes. Frankly, before him, hand to hand action scenes in movies weren't very good IMO outside of martial arts movies

And cop movie characters may stand out but a lot of them tend to have archaic or outdated characterization
    But Bourne had a lot cliches in it too. The whole now the" hunted is the hunter "stuff. And a gov op going rogue but nobody complained. And I didn't believe for a second Damon could whip anybody's ass. The editing was chopped up and the fights were bad. And he was a zombie if it was anyone who was actually believable in that role. They would have said "Oh he's just a robot"

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    There was some over the top stuff in WR too. When he stepped inside that burning car and locked the door to interrogate that dude that **** was cray.
    Tuh, stop trying to sell me things.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    If you took away all the shaky cam, would anybody even like the Bourne movies? Jason Bourne has all the personality of a Zombie. I saw Olympus Has Fallen and I can't remember a single thing about the main character other than him being played by Gerald Butler.

It's a hard genre to stand out in. There's a ton of it already, much of it looks identical and the heroes of these kind of stories don't stand out all that much unless you are counting the over the top stuff like Rambo.
    I've always liked the Renner Bourne movie, haven't seen it in forever but yea, Damon is stiff. Renner is way more sincere on film than anything Matt Damon has ever done. Matt Damon has a high creep factor that has served him well.

Don't get me going on Butler, can't knock the hustle though I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Morph View Post
    This is crazy talk. MBJ is the current GOTO Black actor in Hollywood at the moment(it used to be Idris). When a project is looking for a Black lead, his name is the one that is tossed in the most. They were even about to cast this guy as Superman lol.
    It's never been Idris. Save from The Wire, Idris hasn't done half the high profile work as Jordan has. In large part cause dude works on the world stage. I'd argue John Boyega or Mackie has a currently higher profile in Hollywood than Idris Elba. If we're splitting crumbs of course.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Bourne wasn't supposed to have a lot of personality. But he had good action scenes. Frankly, before him, hand to hand action scenes in movies weren't very good IMO outside of martial arts movies

And cop movie characters may stand out but a lot of them tend to have archaic or outdated characterization
    Bourne was also suffering from amnesia which is as good a justification for lacking personality as you can get.

Lin-Manuel Miranda has acknowledged and apologized for the lack of Afro-Latino representation in "In The Heights".

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-57481316

First three bourne movies were fun as hell, y'all crazy

Last two were garbo though

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    [font=georgia]
    It's never been Idris. Save from The Wire, Idris hasn't done half the high profile work as Jordan has. In large part cause dude works on the world stage. I'd argue John Boyega or Mackie has a currently higher profile in Hollywood than Idris Elba. If we're splitting crumbs of course.
    Idris picked some bad roles too.

Heimdell, Ghost Rider, that stephen king gunshooting movie, pacific rim

like yeesh lol

Suicide Squad might be his "best" action movie yet
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

like yeesh lol

Or, OR, mans is just living life doing this. You can't have the pop that he has in the conscious and still have Spirit of Vengeance be closer to the top of your resume that it is to the bottom. Suicide Squad might just be his highest profile movie and he still probably has 4th or 5th billing. No way in hell Cena should be billed above his name btw, same time they're both looking up at Robbie so... :/

I doubt Elba takes it too serious, Daniel Day Lewis he ain't.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

But Bourne had a lot cliches in it too. The whole now the" hunted is the hunter "stuff. And a gov op going rogue but nobody complained. And I didn't believe for a second Damon could whip anybody's ass. The editing was chopped up and the fights were bad. And he was a zombie if it was anyone who was actually believable in that role. They would have said "Oh he's just a robot"
    Why didn't you believe Damon could fight his enemies?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Bourne was also suffering from amnesia which is as good a justification for lacking personality as you can get.
    That's true

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Lin-Manuel Miranda has acknowledged and apologized for the lack of Afro-Latino representation in "In The Heights".

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-57481316
    Bit of a problem for a movie supposedly about diversity!

First three bourne movies were fun as hell, y'all crazy

Last two were garbo though

like yeesh lol

Renner's Bourne movie was terrible

Pacific Rim wasn't a bad movie. It just didn't capture the ideas which make daikaiju movies good. And it had a generic White male protagonist

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Or, OR, mans is just living life doing this. You can't have the pop that he has in the conscious and still have Spirit of Vengeance be closer to the top of your resume that it is to the bottom. Suicide Squad might just be his highest profile movie and he still probably has 4th or 5th billing. No way in hell Cena should be billed above his name btw, same time they're both looking up at Robbie so... :/

I doubt Elba takes it too serious, Daniel Day Lewis he ain't.
    At least he shot superman off screen and put him in the ICU! Idris > Batman

Pacific Rim wasn't a bad movie. It just didn't capture the ideas which make daikaiju movies good. And it had a generic White male protagonist
    the human parts were horrible though. like, worse than GvK lol
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

At least he shot superman off screen and put him in the ICU! Idris > Batman

the human parts were horrible though. like, worse than GvK lol
    I didn't mind some of the human characters, like Elba's character, Mako Mori, the English scientist or Perlman's character, but the main guy and all his drama was lame and generic, and the human storyline never really became very interesting. I feel like a movie based on Japanese media could've used more Japanese characters but Hollywood didn't seem to care as much back then. Of course, most daikaiju movies have lame human characters. It's disappointing but not surprising.

Extraordinary Member

With Idris Elba, most of the time it seems he was going for roles
    in ensemble caper films at the same time he had a ongoing TV show.

It may be the case that the action hero stuff is mostly check cashing time killing until he can get another Mandela, Beasts Of No Nation or Yardie.

The Dark Tower was Stephen King's answer to the Lord of the Rings. I can understand why people would think bit was going to do something.

I can't say I was one of them though. I read the second book.

Ultimate Member

When he stepped inside that burning car and locked the door to interrogate that dude that **** was cray.
    I wonder did he do that in the book?

Funny thing is a lot of critics said MBJ did a great job but the movie was bad.
    I think Jordan is in the same boat as Regina King. You can put them in the WORST shows or films and it's almost universal that folks say either one of them was the best thing in the movie.

It's never been Idris. Save from The Wire, Idris hasn't done half the high profile work as Jordan has
    He has but he does way more stuff overseas than here. His influence in the UK is probably greater. Same with Richard Ayoade and Noel Clarke.

In the end when you look at their body of work-they might not have gotten the attention but they contributed.

I mean how many shows like Luther have we seen? Outside of A Man Called Hawk.

Bit of a problem for a movie supposedly about diversity!
    Well what a lot of fake woke and no life having folks on Twitter don't understand is, you can only do so much.

Who was doing the casting? How many dark skinned folks showed up? How many could you picture in this role or that role. Who is better known versus who is not.

Lets say you were casting for Static-who gets the role? Skylan Brooks or Caleb Mclaughlin from Stranger Things?

There is a skin tone difference. For 4 issues of Static-Virgil was dark like Caleb.

Which version of Static? Cartoon or old school Static? Skylan fits Old school Static. Caleb fits Static Shock version.

3 inch height difference.

Who do you hire or do you hand the role to Tyler James Williams or Jayden Smith. Don't think folks won't call out that skin tone difference.

Ultimate Member

Who exactly is fake woke?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I wonder did he do that in the book?

I think Jordan is in the same boat as Regina King. You can put them in the WORST shows or films and it's almost universal that folks say either one of them was the best thing in the movie.

He has but he does way more stuff overseas than here. His influence in the UK is probably greater. Same with Richard Ayoade and Noel Clarke.

In the end when you look at their body of work-they might not have gotten the attention but they contributed.

I mean how many shows like Luther have we seen? Outside of A Man Called Hawk.

Well what a lot of fake woke and no life having folks on Twitter don't understand is, you can only do so much.

Who was doing the casting? How many dark skinned folks showed up? How many could you picture in this role or that role. Who is better known versus who is not.

Lets say you were casting for Static-who gets the role? Skylan Brooks or Caleb Mclaughlin from Stranger Things?

There is a skin tone difference. For 4 issues of Static-Virgil was dark like Caleb.

Which version of Static? Cartoon or old school Static? Skylan fits Old school Static. Caleb fits Static Shock version.

3 inch height difference.

Who do you hire or do you hand the role to Tyler James Williams or Jayden Smith. Don't think folks won't call out that skin tone difference.
    Gotta admit I haven't read any of the books.