Page 339 of 828 FirstFirst ... 239289329335336337338339340341342343349389439 ... LastLast
Results 5,071 to 5,085 of 12412

Quote Originally Posted by RisingForce View Post
    Terry Mcginnis is some kind of eurasian mix, which is somewhat close to whatever I am. I'm not sure somehow if I just look like I'm japanese or if I am.
    That's just Bruce Timm's art style. For years I thought Lex Luthor was black, turns out his look on the superman cartoon was inspired by Terry Sivalas. Every time I see Lex I not only have to remind myself that he is not black, and he is also a Ginger.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    That's just Bruce Timm's art style. For years I thought Lex Luthor was black, turns out his look on the superman cartoon was inspired by Terry Sivalas. Every time I see Lex I not only have to remind myself that he is not black, and he is also a Ginger.
    This Luthor is....greek.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    This Luthor is....greek.
    He's based on a Greek-American actor named Telly Savalas.

Candice Patton and other black actresses did a video chat on the murder of Ahmaud Arbery as well as their own experiences with racism and injustice.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B_8vTgup37C/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Fair enough. But I still think the problem is less that more glamorous black heroes ( and other minorities) don't exist at DC, it's that they do but don't get the needed support.
    Yea power fantasy is an intrinsic part of the comic genre (though not the only part obviously). Cyborg is kinda the antithesis of that with his deformed appearance and pathological inability to get over it. He's mostly written as being mopey which at face value won't get the same type of attention as some of his white peers on the League. Compare that to characters like Black Panther and War Machine who are shown to be desired and confident within their universe. Cyborg's deficiencies as a lead character are magnified when you put him next to a beacon of masculinity like Superman. DC would've been much better served positioning John Stewart or Black Lightning as their premier black hero because they have more broad appeal than Cyborg ever will.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Yea power fantasy is an intrinsic part of the comic genre (though not the only part obviously). Cyborg is kinda the antithesis of that with his deformed appearance and pathological inability to get over it. He's mostly written as being mopey which at face value won't get the same type of attention as some of his white peers on the League. Compare that to characters like Black Panther and War Machine who are shown to be desired and confident within their universe. Cyborg's deficiencies as a lead character are magnified when you put him next to a beacon of masculinity like Superman. DC would've been much better served positioning John Stewart or Black Lightning as their premier black hero because they have more broad appeal than Cyborg ever will.
    Well, Vic was created as a slightly different archetype from guys like Supes or GL. Cyborg is the "strong man loner" and many of them aren't conventionally good looking and occasionally bitter ( Ben Grimm, Robotman, Hulk, Luther in Umbrella Academy TV show). There are some fans drawn to these kinds of characters. And again, he is probably DC's 2nd most popular minority hero so I wouldn't say he has no appeal. The real problem I think when it comes to Vic specifically is the just poor writing and handling of his character when the Nu 52 happened. The Justice League suffered from sub-standard writing in general but Vic really got the short end of the stick. He was sort of in the background, kind of treated as rookie by the others, and got no meaningful development. It wasn't until the Walker series that Vic started to shine, but that was undone with the Rebirth series just so that they could do the exact same thing again, only more boring.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I feel there was more black representation in media in the '90s then there is now in some ways. Shows like Family Matters and Martin were not only on the air but very popular. The WB and UPN had a lot of shows that starred black actors. Will Smith was at the peak of his popularity (I don't think their is a black actor that is as popular today, as Will was back then). Hip Hop and RNB were also at their peak of popularity as well. tell me i'm wrong?

Ultimate Member

Since teh WB & ATT are giving into bulling-can we start a new hashtag?

Release the Marlonwayonsasrobincut? Somewhere out there is Marlon Wayans as Robin from Batman Returns. He was paid for 2 movies and there is a costume acciording to him.

They are outting 20 million into that Snyder Cut to be finished. I wonder who is the Peter being robbed to pay Paul for this?

Would axing Batwoman equal 20 million?

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

I wish Lightbright appeared more often. She was pretty cool in a way that reminded me of Storm, but also felt distinct (Silver Sable and the Wild Pack #21, February 1994).

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Since teh WB & ATT are giving into bulling-can we start a new hashtag?

Release the Marlonwayonsasrobincut? Somewhere out there is Marlon Wayans as Robin from Batman Returns. He was paid for 2 movies and there is a costume acciording to him.

They are outting 20 million into that Snyder Cut to be finished. I wonder who is the Peter being robbed to pay Paul for this?

Would axing Batwoman equal 20 million?
    #ReleaseAVixenOngoingSoloBook or #ReleaseA30MinutePerEpisodeVixenAnimatedSeries LOL
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I wish Lightbright appeared more often. She was pretty cool in a way that reminded me of Storm, but also felt distinct (Silver Sable and the Wild Pack #21, February 1994).
    Totally unfamiliar with this character. I had the first few issue of Silver Sable's book but didn't keep up with it. It would be interesting to see this character revived...hopefully with a better codename lol.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

There’s also Pathway, whom I recall had autism (Alpha Flight #114, November 1992).

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Totally unfamiliar with this character. I had the first few issue of Silver Sable's book but didn't keep up with it. It would be interesting to see this character revived...hopefully with a better codename lol.
    It's not particularly easy to come up with names for light powered characters, is it?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post

The dialogue of those evildoers truly displays their.....evilness.