Page 797 of 818 FirstFirst ... 297697747787793794795796797798799800801807 ... LastLast
Results 11,941 to 11,955 of 12264
    Ultimate Member

Bob Iger said The Marvels turned out the way it did because there were a "lack of executives" supervising it.

Hmmmm....

Ultimate Member

https://basilmarinerchase.wordpress....ent-narrative/

“The Marvels” is a flop. Narratives as to why greatly differ. Yet when male-directed and led films like “Napoleon” and “Killers of the Flower Moon” perform even worse with similar budgets, they’re lauded as successes. Why is this? Let me quote a writer from two sentences ago: “male-directed and led films”.

Could it really just be that? Aren’t both “Flower Moon” and “Napoleon” part of an Apple TV+ 5-dimensional-chess marketing strategy that’s totally OK with them losing millions? Even if that were the case – instead of being massively overstated as an argument in publications like Forbes and Deadline – it still doesn’t change the resulting box office measure of audience interest.

Let’s dive into a bunch of numbers. They’re fun, I promise:

The Marvels
    Budget: $220 million
    Opening U.S. weekend: $46 million
    Global to date (3 weeks): $187 million
    Box Office Narrative: Flop

Killers of the Flower Moon
    Budget: $200 million
    Opening U.S. weekend: $23 million
    Global to date (6 weeks): $151 million
    Box Office Narrative: Moderately Positive

Napoleon
    Budget: $200 million
    Opening U.S. weekend (+Thanksgiving): $32 million
    Global to date (1 week): $79 million
    Box Office Narrative: Triumphant
    I
    ’ll let Anthony D’Alessandro at Deadline carry the water:

“Wake up to the fact that Apple and Disney’s goals couldn’t be more separate. One is a tech business with a streaming service, and the other is a content-driven conglom that extends into travel lifestyle and merchandising. Two very different businesses. Film finance sources tell me that a $200M production cost on Killers of the Flower Moon is literally an advertising expense for Apple, and its P&L is different from the way that The Marvels would be assessed. At the end of the day, it’s not Apple’s goal to make money in the theatrical business. They don’t care about profit in TV and motion pictures. Disney’s goals and plans are similar to Max, Paramount+, Peacock, etc., and they’re beating the aforementioned.

“However, all streaming services associated with the majors are still losing money. For Apple, theatrical is a bonus on Killers of the Flower Moon, and they didn’t make the movie for theatrical, rather, locking people into their ecosystem. This compared to the fact that Disney institutional shareholders demand short-term profitably from their OTT service and content.”

He loses sentence structure at the end there, but the passion is evident. If you’re looking for a precedent that’s similar to Apple’s approach here, consider what Epic Games Store started doing within the gaming industry in 2019 by providing games to consumers at a financial loss in exchange for building market share. That storefront has yet to turn a profit. In fact, there was one organization that hated the strategy so much they once argued in court that sacrificing profits for market share on a digital platform was dishonest and a dealbreaker for business partners. That baby’s name? Albert Einste- I mean that organization’s name? Apple Inc. So they’re hypocrites. Of course, that’s not big news. It just amuses me.

Ultimate Member

Anyone watching the Bass Reeves TV series?

I haven't watched any episodes due to Oyelowo's casting.

If anyone has seen it, is it any good?

Ultimate Member

It seems some people are saying Rockstar has gone woke because of the GTA 6 trailer.

Keep aside the the fact the series has featured black and minority protagonists for a good long while now, a lot of stuff in the trailer was based off of real life news stories.

I think some folks are just looking for attention when they criticize games like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It seems some people are saying Rockstar has gone woke because of the GTA 6 trailer.

Keep aside the the fact the series has featured black and minority protagonists for a good long while now, a lot of stuff in the trailer was based off of real life news stories.

I think some folks are just looking for attention when they criticize games like this.
    The Tate brothers calling the game dangerous because it encourages people to kill cops is the funniest thing to come out of this.

I wonder if the idiots that spent years harassing and doxing Anita Sarkeesian because of her video essays on games will have anything to say about this.

Who am I kidding, of course they won't.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-06-2023 at 08:24 AM.

Ultimate Member

It's "woke" because it looks like the main character is Latina. I've seen where seemingly a few ppl claimed the new character looks trans. These are not serious people, it's just outrage for clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It's "woke" because it looks like the main character is Latina. I've seen where seemingly a few ppl claimed the new character looks trans. These are not serious people, it's just outrage for clicks.
    First female protagonist kind of is a big deal, really. No doubt some fans will be triggered by just that, whether they name it for that or not.

While it's fair to say all the characters are anywhere from a little to a lot screwed up, protagonist characters like Tommy and CJ have gotten to at least look cool, if criminal. If this is the first time a female character gets to be something besides sexual object or comic caricature ... again, just likely to trigger some of the established fans. But it's about time.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

At this point, I'm realizing, some people just LIKE outrage videos. Guys with those points of view don't come across as Men I'd ever entertain on a personal level, but that's me. No matter how un-serious they come across.

Alsooo, I'd imagine if the main character looked more like Laura Croft... this wouldn't even rise to consider making an outrage vid on. So then, maybe it's the Hispanic roots that lean her into 'woke' territory?? Gotta be right.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    At this point, I'm realizing, some people just LIKE outrage videos. Guys with those points of view don't come across as Men I'd ever entertain on a personal level, but that's me. No matter how un-serious they come across.

Alsooo, I'd imagine if the main character looked more like Laura Croft... this wouldn't even rise to consider making an outrage vid on. So then, maybe it's the Hispanic roots that lean her into 'woke' territory?? Gotta be right.
    Original Rhona Mitra/Angelina Jolie Lara Croft maybe, if she looked like Crystal Dynamics Katniss Everdeen Lara Croft they'd be complaining. The marvels tanked at the box office, the anti-woke brigade is getting what they want, but if there's less woke stuff coming out in the future, they'll be running out of things to complain about. Which means less views, clicks and money.

It's kind of already started. They thought The Super Mario Bros movie was woke because peach wore a motorcycle suit and they were driving down rainbow road, the level from mario kart that everyone remembers, but it really wasn't. They think that Godzilla Minus One isn't woke, even though Godzilla has always been a political metaphor (nukes are bad!). Bethany Mandel wrote a whole book about a word she couldn't define in an interview.

See, there is no way to win the culture war because the culture is always changing, it's an endless waltz.

Anyone watching the Bass Reeves TV series?

I haven't watched any episodes due to Oyelowo's casting.

If anyone has seen it, is it any good?
    So I've been watching the series and really enjoy it. It's another Taylor Sheridan show, so that's not surprising. The show is pretty gritty and showcases Reeve's and his family pretty well. I feel invested in their story.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    So I've been watching the series and really enjoy it. It's another Taylor Sheridan show, so that's not surprising. The show is pretty gritty and showcases Reeve's and his family pretty well. I feel invested in their story.
    Ok.

I'll probably give it a try.

Ultimate Member

But if rumors are true you can play as her and her boyfriend.

It is getting to the point having a woman on the cover is enough to go off. Saints Row lets you make the character you play and they still go off and attack the game.

Some of them are arguing that it isn't woke because the protagonist is attractive and appears in a bikini.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Some of them are arguing that it isn't woke because the protagonist is attractive and appears in a bikini.
    The term has devolved. Woke is just anything the person using it doesn't like. "Tomatoes are woke because even though they're fruits they identify as vegetables!" "God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Seed!" "Legumes of TikTok is rallying against Transgardenism!"

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    At this point, I'm realizing, some people just LIKE outrage videos.
    Bruh, the people on the "other side" of these things like outrage videos. They like being outraged at the outrage.

Look how often this stuff is posted in here. People on the "good side" of this stupidness are the ones that make the videos popular because they click on them just to get mad and then tell everyone else they are mad about the video which leads to them clicking and getting mad, etc.

I didn't even know "people" were mad until it was posted in here.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html