Page 687 of 827 FirstFirst ... 187587637677683684685686687688689690691697737787 ... LastLast
Results 10,291 to 10,305 of 12392

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Even if there was a video that was released it would change anything.

You bring up George Floyd and the video of him being killed. Yes people protested and took to the streets and there were the normal sound bites and Nancy P stood in a press conference and wore her African cloths. But what has changed? Remember one of the big ractions to the video of a man begging for his life as a cop killed him? Why are we so upset at a criminal dying? If with videos of kids being shot down out there the gun nuts will just say

"Look there is a teacher right there. I bet if they had a gun this wouldnt have happened!" Heck we even had a poster on this board in the politics section. "Hey this is Merica. These things happen."

We have had so many "This is it. this is the line things are going to change." Moments and statements in the USA in just the last couple years. It has become the talking point CopyPasta. The Mayor of Buffalo said that the shooting there will bring out real change. it would wake people up. A couple weeks later 19 kids and 2 teachers are murdered. And people are still falling all over themselves to find reasons why guns are not bad. Why people are over reacting. heck ther is a damn NRA conference in Huston this week.
    The argument for guns that I keep hearing is, "If the government takes our guns away, we won't be able to stop their tyranny against us." It's always some Rambo shootout fantasy from someone that gets their guns and camo from Wal-Mart or Fleet Farm. I always think if the military really wanted to come for these people, they wouldn't be able to stop them, they could just blow them away from 1,000 feet in the air with a predator drone.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    At this point, a radical change is required.
    A radical change in the way WE proceas these things maybe, surely.

This system has been cultivated to the point where it's humming on all fronts. We just have to brace for the next one and the next one and the really bad one to follow after that. Also the GOP kinda has an out here. These were all Brown victims and a Brown shooter, yes they were babies in school but still... Minorities.

Thing about America is, it was founded on not telling White folks what to do, EVERRRRR. That's your Constitution. Penalties are for everyone else. The lobbyists who pimp the **** out of the politicians, have made it EASIER to pull off these shootings. When they say arm the teachers, that's real talk. Another revenue stream for the gunmakers and these Republicans know and are telling folks- "Hey, we aint gonna come any closer to reform, best to get down with the get down." They know! Like Shadow said, the fuckin' tactical parade comes out after the fact every damn time. 'Show' of force is exactly right.

Speakin of, this Greg Abbott clown, can he look ANY more like a stutterin, stammerin buffoon than he does whenever Texas is on the scene nationally over some horrible ****. For as much as a colossal time waster as he is, can he at least READ a report, of yet another tragedy, without lookin like a dude who has to move his lips when he reads silently to himself? Even I didnt fully grasp that's too much to ask of a leader in his position but that **** bothers me.

In regards more directly to the Topps grocery shooter, for me it's the brazen cowarice of the white supremacy position that still takes me by surprise. It really shouldn't, how else can you rise to that level of brutality historically. Still, sometimes you don't realize the moral highground can have its own blinders.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    The argument for guns that I keep hearing is, "If the government takes our guns away, we won't be able to stop their tyranny against us." It's always some Rambo shootout fantasy from someone that gets their guns and camo from Wal-Mart or Fleet Farm. I always think if the military really wanted to come for these people, they wouldn't be able to stop them, they could just blow them away from 1,000 feet in the air with a predator drone.
    The more I think about it the more I start to think...

Maybe the guy with the Dick's Sporting Goods loyalty card who took a weekend survival course with his drinking buddies (Had a Groupon so it was a great deal) plays paint ball once a year and knows every Steven Segal Movie scene for scene may not have that much of a chance vs the best trained most funded military in the history of history.

I dont have my nut job hand book handy. Do Barb wire fences and windowless sheds hold up well to Bunker Buster Bombs?
    Last edited by babyblob; 05-26-2022 at 06:08 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

How many Anti-CRT Karens would be laying on the ground at school board meetings???
    Hmmp, a whole hell of a lot. Who knew, they all wanna be Freedom Marchers. Freedom from history though. I always said America would quickly tick upward if we just started to deal with the hardheaded entitled whites like POC. Then I'm reminded of the scene in Django when they show up to Big Daddy's plantation.

"You want us to treat him like white folks?"

"That's not what I said. What's the name of the Peckerwood boy in town that works with the glass. Momma works at the lumberyard. Treat him like Jerry."

Taking Caucasians out of The Matrix has to operate on a Class level along with a racial level. We do what we can but it's too much constantly, for most of us to have to deal with I'm afraid.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ultimate Member

Gun violence is now the leading cause of death of children and adolescents in the US.

Let that sink in. The US is literally killing their own kids and yet some Conservative asshats claim they are fighting for families.

Al Gore said it years ago (when Democrats actually spoke viscerally and forcefully) the thinking that the GOP is the party of family values and that thinking is nonsense and it should rejected. Truer words were never spoken.

Gun violence is now the leading cause of death of children and adolescents in the US.

Let that sink in. The US is literally killing their own kids and yet some Conservative asshats claim they are fighting for families.

Al Gore said it years ago (when Democrats actually spoke viscerally and forcefully) the thinking that the GOP is the party of family values and that thinking is nonsense and it should rejected. Truer words were never spoken.
    When people say that, right wingers always go: "Muh freedom tho...." Except it's not really freedom. Free health care is communism, but food deserts and soda being all over the place is fine. Free education is communism, either join the army or go flip burgers. "What do you mean you want to make more money, flipping burgers is for teenagers, go get a REAL JOB you blue haired lib!"

"Why is McDonalds closed at 3pm? Nobody wants to work anymore because that commie Biden gave those lazy kids stimulus checks."

"Rich people deserve tax cuts because they're JOB CREATORS that make life better for people, why can't people pull themselves up by their bootstraps like Bill Gates (who came from a well off family and dropped out of harvard), or Mark Zuckerberg (who also dropped out of harvard, his dad offered to buy him a McDonalds franchise, a whole franchise), or Jeff Bezos (who started amazon with a 300k loan he got from his parents) or Elon Musk (who's father ran a diamond mine)?"

Kids should be able to go to school without having to worry about being shot, people should be able go to the mall, movie theatre, church, grocery store, anywhere, without having to worry about a terminally online troll shooting them because they're racist or they can't get a date.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 05-26-2022 at 11:14 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I would welcome a live debate between Herschel Walker and Oswald Bates.

Sure, one is a fictional character....

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    When people say that, right wingers always go: "Muh freedom tho...." Except it's not really freedom. Free health care is communism, but food deserts and soda being all over the place is fine. Free education is communism, either join the army or go flip burgers. "What do you mean you want to make more money, flipping burgers is for teenagers, go get a REAL JOB you blue haired lib!"

"Why is McDonalds closed at 3pm? Nobody wants to work anymore because that commie Biden gave those lazy kids stimulus checks."

"Rich people deserve tax cuts because they're JOB CREATORS that make life better for people, why can't people pull themselves up by their bootstraps like Bill Gates (who came from a well off family and dropped out of harvard), or Mark Zuckerberg (who also dropped out of harvard, his dad offered to buy him a McDonalds franchise, a whole franchise), or Jeff Bezos (who started amazon with a 300k loan he got from his parents) or Elon Musk (who's father ran a diamond mine)?"

Kids should be able to go to school without having to worry about being shot, people should be able go to the mall, movie theatre, church, grocery store, anywhere, without having to worry about a terminally online troll shooting them because they're racist or they can't get a date.
    Exactly. Like I said in the politics forum, the solutions being offered by the right (to practically any major issue) make no sense.

I can NEVER ALLOW MY CHILD ATTEND A SCHOOL WITH ARMED TEACHERS.

The fight for the right to bear arms is now directly impeding people's right to life. Granted the constitution does not say "right to life" but the 14th amendment does say the state can't make or enforce any laws that deprive people of their lives, liberty, or property without due process.

The legal debates have now started because one right is now directly impacting another.
    Last edited by Username taken; 05-26-2022 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    nah the fire the cops and defund the police was a dumb talking point by people. it was never going to and should not happen.

I meant the changes that were promised on a national level. There wee all kinds of promises on big police reform and laws will be passed and things will change. Wasnt going to happen because of the GOP and how they dug their heels in. Every time some one talked police reform the GOP yelled "They want to defund the police. They want to fire all cops."

Even after the Buffalo and Texas shootings they are still yelling about "They are going to take our guns." A video showing the shooting. All that would do is have them double down on teachers being armed and they need more guns. And it would be the "They are taking our guns and using this video as a scare tactic. Look at how bad this video is. More guns would have stopped this."

And that is not just me being negative. That is the truth. It is the truth because there are decades of mass shootings and the talk after that back this up. There have been videos of shootings. Video of the after math and bodies on the ground and blood on the ground. And it all comes back to the same for the GOP.

More guns not less. Arm the teachers. A good guy with a gun can stop this." And the classic "They are Going to take our guns."

They are like a childs doll. Pull the string here the same couple of phrases. "Get the NRA Abbot doll! He really talks!" Ted Cruz Wind him up and watch him go Batteries not needed he is powered by self importance and hate!

Even common sense stuff like background checks, close the gun show loop hole, no expanded magazines, Red flag laws cause the GOP to lose their minds.

I know a total gun ban will not work. And will never hapen. But common sense stuff is also never going to happen because the GOP wont let it happen.
    It did not really get a lot of attention, but the city of Minneapolis actually did put getting rid of the police force completely on the ballot last summer. I'm actually kind of proud that we at least really tried, and as well that so many of us actually voted for it. It didn't pass, but I don't think that was a pre-determined thing.

The proposal we got was screwed up because we really were voting to disband and remove our police department without even so much as a plan in place for what would replace them. I mean, I'm pretty sure that's why it failed. People were terrified. We have had higher crime rates in recent years, likely due to the pandemic and all of its ripple effects, but the conversation tends to be that the "criminals" are emboldened by the public's lack of faith in the police, and the police officer's resulting lack of morale/motivation. So, people are already afraid and feeling helpless against what seems ever raising crime, and our city proposes to remove the police without any replacement force immediately available. Really, considering that, it's amazing it got as much support as it did.

The vague idea discussed was a Public Safety department that replaces the Police Department, and this new institution would send out teams that include people trained to deal with mental health emergencies and de-escalation, domestic violence, etc -- basically, kind of letting social work lead, and only bringing in actual armed response for when there is clearly no other safe thing to do. But yeah, letting that call be up to people who are legit focused on de-escalation and a nonviolent resolution, rather than a bunch of people with a ton of military gear who believe that are fighting a war.

I get too, you can't have something like that, which has never existed, materialize out of thin air, and even having hard plans for what it would look like -- yeah, I have no idea how to write that up. So, I was willing to live in a city that probably would have ended up with ... I guess, state police and National Guard serving as a makeshift police force for a few years? While the city figured out how to fund and staff the new Public Safety department. And a lot of my fellow Minneapolis folks were willing to take that route, too.

But yeah, hopefully they have continued working on outlines of what the new department would actually look like, so we can have a chance to vote for ending the police department and people don't have to be afraid the result will be like Mad Max or something ... and my city could go from a worldwide example of institutionalized racial injustice to a place that is really trying to do something better.
    Last edited by Adam Allen; 05-26-2022 at 07:12 PM.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Lets look at that for a moment.

They want educators like myself to have guns....

How many DEAD kids do you want day one??????

How many DEAD parents?

How many Anti-CRT Karens would be laying on the ground at school board meetings???

How many folks get taken out over teacher evaluations? test scores?

We haven't touched LGBTQA.....

Nor special education students.....

That is like letting Frank Castle & Judge Dredd run wild.
    I am not a teacher so my understanding may be just wrong. My understanding is that teachers job performance are judged by test scores and in class observation by supervisors.

The last bit is totally subjective so if said supervisor has it out for a teacher, they are kinda screwed.

And they want to give the Teachers in that system guns? Boy that's really asking for it.

Let's replace school shootings with workplace rampages, yeah that'll work!

Do you REALLY want to give teachers in that circumstance guns?
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 05-26-2022 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I am not a teacher so my understanding may be just wrong. My understanding is that teachers job performance are judged by test scores and in class observation by supervisors.

The last bit is totally subjective so if said supervisor has it out for a teacher, they are kinda screwed.

And they want to give the Teachers in that system guns? Boy that's really asking for it.

My wife teaches.

This wouldn't do anything to stop mass shooters lol.

Any teacher that would want to carry in that environment shouldn't want to teach and you wouldn't want around your kids because they are nuts.

The last thing they need when dealing with some of these parents (usually isn't kids tbh) is something right next to them that could fix the problem lol.

It is just like suicide... it is easy to momentarily break, grab a gun, and pull the trigger before you break out of that thought. other methods take time, which gives you time to realize it is a horrible idea.

The other option would be to have the gun in a gun safe... which does nothign either. No untrained person is going to know what is going on in that scenario to get the kids safe, go unlock the safe, and be ready to defend themselves

THe more guns around is more chances of something stupid going wrong.

The mass shootings get all the news but there are countless stories every year of some kid grabbing a gun under the car seat or in the home nad shooting themselves or someone else on accident. And you want to put a gun around 30 kids all day long every day?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

The only thing telling teachers outside weird fringe cultish schools that they need to carry would do is result in a mass exodus of teachers.

Mass shooters already know there is at least one cop on campus and its done nothing because they done nothing but run away and hide apparently.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

That is correct.

Oh let me add this-test scores are now split by race.

So if you school has 1 black kid (or 60 like Bronny James's school does)-it's ranking can be affect by that one black kid.

A principal in a majority white school district had to resign because she pointed out her school was not ranked exemplary and only above average because of the one black kid's test scores. She PUBLICLY blamed the black kid.
    Now image if that one kid made the school rank badly.....

Oh lets throw in test scores and observations for a teacher who has kids that refuse to work. And the actual law is a kid has to be in school-they are NOT obligated to do WORK. As long as they don't disturb the teacher from teaching they can be left alone.

I could list a lot of other factors that would lead to workplace rampages in schools.

Ultimate Member

Have you guys seen the videos of how the police treated the parents during the Ulvade shooting?

It's so disgusting. And 40% of that town's budget goes to the police force and this is how they act when there is a real emergency.

Have you guys seen the videos of how the police treated the parents during the Ulvade shooting?

It's so disgusting. And 40% of that town's budget goes to the police force and this is how they act when there is a real emergency.
    From what I understand, those lousy cops stayed outside because they were afraid of being shot at...they all need to turn in their badges. Every single one of them.