Page 100 of 827 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150200600 ... LastLast
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 12396
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Tolkien is interesting.

As a simple fantasy, good vs evil, type of thing, I find his stuff to be awesome and I wish he was still around writing. His world building is great... I want more stories of the dwarf kingdoms, the bad men, ect. Blue Wizards please.

But then you take a deep dive into his writings (and as a person) and two things tend to happen:

1. you become obsessed and take every single sentence as a deep psychological and philosophical masterpiece and start the revere Tolkien as a God

2. You start to see the cracks in the armor, the weirdness of certain things (minorities, only being like 3 important woman), the super weird (wtf is Tom Barbidill lol), plot holes, ect. ANd you start getting sleepy.

Which, while it is heresay, I vastly vastly vastly prefer the movies. Yes, even the Hobbit, who fleshed out some characters (too much but still) so they were more than just "random dwarf name who dies #3." The sin of the Hobbit wasn't that they made a kids book into 3 movies... it was the cgi mess it turned into bc it was rushed + a random ass love triangle + despite trying to tie into LotR as much as possible, ignoring what the drwarven rings did to Thorins grandfather/father.

LOTR extended editions is better than anything Tolkien wrote

(prays there are no tolkien super fans here)
    Its funny because all Peter Jackson did was trim the fat (no Bombadil) and gave Arwen something to do which meant the saga had four whole major females in it.

Also unintentionally, because Jackson was so detail oriented a person who is a not careful reader wlll realize just how racist LOTR is once they see how every fight is long haired white dudes (Good Guys) v dark skinned hordes in various levels of savagery (the Bad Guys).

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Its funny because all Peter Jackson did was trim the fat (no Bombadil) and gave Arwen something to do which meant the saga had four whole major females in it.

Also unintentionally, because Jackson was so detail oriented a person who is a not careful reader wlll realize just how racist LOTR is once they see how every fight is long haired white dudes (Good Guys) v dark skinned hordes in various levels of savagery (the Bad Guys).
    One of those times where a POC being at the big decision table would have went, "hey guys, this kinda sorta looks bad? you know that right? Can we make the Rohan good guys black? The dwarves? someone!???"
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

One of those times where a POC being at the big decision table would have went, "hey guys, this kinda sorta looks bad? you know that right? Can we make the Rohan good guys black? The dwarves? someone!???"
    People would have been pissed because it's "totally unbelievable, and ahistorical to believe that black people associated with Elves and Dragons and Trolls and othersuchbullsh#t."
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    People would have been pissed because it's "totally unbelievable, and ahistorical to believe that black people associated with Elves and Dragons and Trolls and othersuchbullsh#t."
    I always thought a cool concept would have been if the line of kings or all the ones with Numenorean blood were black.

So you could visually see the men who were superior men... just by their skin color. Closer to the line of Elendil you got, the darker the skin. Gondor in general would be a lot of very very very light skinned black people since they were basically distant decendents of the Numenoreans. While Faramir and Denethor would be darker (but not Aragorn dark) because their dunedain genes were more pure. Hell, Faramir was "more" numenorean than his brother.

of course, that would never ever ever ever ever fly lol

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Its a story written about mythic europe by an old white dude in the 30s-50s. Expecting major non white characters is an excersise in futility.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Its a story written about mythic europe by an old white dude in the 30s-50s. Expecting major non white characters is an excersise in futility.
    Of course.

LOTR is still my favorite movie series of all time

Extraordinary Member

I always thought a cool concept would have been if the line of kings or all the ones with Numenorean blood were black.

So you could visually see the men who were superior men... just by their skin color. Closer to the line of Elendil you got, the darker the skin. Gondor in general would be a lot of very very very light skinned black people since they were basically distant decendents of the Numenoreans. While Faramir and Denethor would be darker (but not Aragorn dark) because their dunedain genes were more pure. Hell, Faramir was "more" numenorean than his brother.

of course, that would never ever ever ever ever fly lol
    You wouldn't be far off since Gondor is likely based on Gondar an ancient city in Ethiopia and ROTK closely mirrors Halle Selassie's return to Ethiopia in WW2. Tolkien was born in Africa and knew the history probably stole a lot.

Extraordinary Member

DISNEY IS COMING SURRENDER ALL YOU MEDIA UNTO US!!!!

https://news.avclub.com/heres-what-w...tle-1830338376

In all seriousness I keep forgetting that Disney now owns the Muppet Show too.

when the hell did they buy national geographic?

Now I am 200% sold lol. I love nature shows lol

when the hell did they buy national geographic?

Now I am 200% sold lol. I love nature shows lol
    A high fidelity remake? That's a little odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I enjoyed the Gundam 00 series. I have yet to watch the film.

It would have been interesting if they shelved Goku a little bit longer. I actually wanted to see Gohan beat Vegeta one-on-one.
    The movie is a first for the franchise in that the antagonists are aliens instead of humans and while that certainly rubbed some people the wrong way I felt it was still a decent movie.

A Gohan/Vegeta fight would've been wonderful back in the early Buu saga when the gap wasn't so large, though the Tournament of Power showed that that isn't always an issue. Speaking of the Tournament I've read that Gohan's final fight in the manga went way different with him taking on Kefla. Match ended in a double knockout.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    They could have had totally new characters that didn't just revolve around Goku and Vegeta getting a power boost to stupid levels.

I'd have made the main characters Gohan, Trunks, and Dende. I'd be happy with no Goten at all.
    I could live with that the problem in the Japanese fanbase is apparently very resistant to major changes. I even read that Toriyama's decision to have Goku grow up towards the end of Dragon Ball wasn't met with fanfare early on. Having said that the Buu saga could easily be tweaked to keep Gohan as the lead, after that skies the limit as far as story potential with the multiverse, the Demon Realm and a possible Red Ribbon resurgence.

Anyway I went to see Overlord today and felt it was a nice one and done movie with the black guy coming out on top against Nazi monsters.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Ultimate Member

And at one point had their hands on Alvin & The Chipmunks video releases.

And how much money could they make off of Muppet Babies on dvd?

8 years if Muppet Babies-with two final seasons that have not aired since they were on CBS. Any rights issues of film footage would be moot because I think 90% of it now owned by Disney.

The unseen Little Muppet Monsters cartoon that was axed after 3 episodes.

To go through Disney's vault of shows that they now own....

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Transformers Lost light has ended. I literally have nothing to read now. Except maybe real books.

I'm sad. More than meets the eye/lost light was the best comic I ever read. Turned a bunch of hasbro toys into something that made me cry.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The sad part is that Tien, Yamcha and Krillin would be God-Tier in a number of shonen, video game or superhero universes based on pure skill alone.
    Heh. Coulda fooled me because it seems that a **** ton of shonen (or at least most of the popular ones) totes "uber genes" or "super-awesome family bloodlines" as this ultimate decider of who gets to be on the pedestal of awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

To paraphrase what I saw in another thread, white supremacy and institutionalized racism is very much an American thing. White manifest destiny (which is one of the pillars of White Supremacy) is very much an American philosophy that was just adopted by the Europeans. Nazi Germany, Racist South Africa e.t.c were simply inspired by what they saw in the US, the US is the home and originator of violent, institutionalized, anti-minority terrorism.
    My god! If there was no United States these would have been peaceful countries. We must get rid of the United States now to create world peace.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."