Page 101 of 824 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111151201601 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 12354
    'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    My god! If there was no United States these would have been peaceful countries. We must get rid of the United States now to create world peace.
    You do of course realize that Username was referencing a historical fact that heavily impacted the early to mid-20th century, and was not calling for the destruction of our nation, yes? Otherwise, your yourtube comment section of a rejoinder might be construed as a bad faith argument or deliberate trolling, which we don't really put up with around here.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    One of those times where a POC being at the big decision table would have went, "hey guys, this kinda sorta looks bad? you know that right? Can we make the Rohan good guys black? The dwarves? someone!???"
    The dwarves were explicitly based on semitic peoples in Tolkien's writing. Make of that what you will

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    My god! If there was no United States these would have been peaceful countries. We must get rid of the United States now to create world peace.
    What are you talking about??

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    You do of course realize that Username was referencing a historical fact that heavily impacted the early to mid-20th century, and was not calling for the destruction of our nation, yes? Otherwise, your yourtube comment section of a rejoinder might be construed as a bad faith argument or deliberate trolling, which we don't really put up with around here.
    Exactly.

I wasn’t talking about replacing or destroying the US. I was talking about how racist and segregation philosophies birthed in the US were implemented in other countries.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Tolkien is interesting.

As a simple fantasy, good vs evil, type of thing, I find his stuff to be awesome and I wish he was still around writing. His world building is great... I want more stories of the dwarf kingdoms, the bad men, ect. Blue Wizards please.

But then you take a deep dive into his writings (and as a person) and two things tend to happen:

1. you become obsessed and take every single sentence as a deep psychological and philosophical masterpiece and start the revere Tolkien as a God

or...

2. You start to see the cracks in the armor, the weirdness of certain things (minorities, only being like 3 important woman), the super weird (wtf is Tom Barbidill lol), plot holes, ect. ANd you start getting sleepy.

Which, while it is heresay, I vastly vastly vastly prefer the movies. Yes, even the Hobbit, who fleshed out some characters (too much but still) so they were more than just "random dwarf name who dies #3." The sin of the Hobbit wasn't that they made a kids book into 3 movies... it was the cgi mess it turned into bc it was rushed + a random ass love triangle + despite trying to tie into LotR as much as possible, ignoring what the drwarven rings did to Thorins grandfather/father.

LOTR extended editions is better than anything Tolkien wrote

(prays there are no tolkien super fans here)
    Yeah, that's basically what happened with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Its funny because all Peter Jackson did was trim the fat (no Bombadil) and gave Arwen something to do which meant the saga had four whole major females in it.

Also unintentionally, because Jackson was so detail oriented a person who is a not careful reader wlll realize just how racist LOTR is once they see how every fight is long haired white dudes (Good Guys) v dark skinned hordes in various levels of savagery (the Bad Guys).
    Women are barely even mentioned in the book series, there's like a grand total of 4 female characters in it. And that's not including Shelob the giant spider.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    You wouldn't be far off since Gondor is likely based on Gondar an ancient city in Ethiopia and ROTK closely mirrors Halle Selassie's return to Ethiopia in WW2. Tolkien was born in Africa and knew the history probably stole a lot.
    I forgot that Tolkien was born in Africa. You just reminded me of how he was bitten by a tarantula as a child and that's why there was always giant spiders in The Hobbit/LOTR.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    The dwarves were explicitly based on semitic peoples in Tolkien's writing. Make of that what you will
    That magically get insanely greedy to the point of dooming their kingdoms when given rings of power lol. Not even subtle about it

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Yeah, that's basically what happened with me.

Women are barely even mentioned in the book series, there's like a grand total of 4 female characters in it. And that's not including Shelob the giant spider.

I forgot that Tolkien was born in Africa. You just reminded me of how he was bitten by a tarantula as a child and that's why there was always giant spiders in The Hobbit/LOTR.
    I still love the world to an extent. But I read the Simirallion after Tolkien geeks talked about ti so much and it simply isn't a good book lol. And yet some people LOVE that stuff.

Its weird with the woman. Only a handful of them but the ones he focuses on are actually rather important/powerful/good characters (mostly Galadriel and Eowyn).
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post

Wow I didn't know that about the spiders there's a few good books on his influences.

Trese, a Filipino graphic novel, will be adapted into a Netflix series.

https://news.abs-cbn.com/life/11/08/...ing-to-netflix

People keep complaining there are no minority characters in smash bros...which does point to an issues with Nintendo in general.

That said there are two. counting the ice climbers as two characters as they are explicitly Inuit

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    People keep complaining there are no minority characters in smash bros...which does point to an issues with Nintendo in general.

That said there are two. counting the ice climbers as two characters as they are explicitly Inuit
    Should Ryu be counted with him being Japanese? Kinda wished that Takamaru was playable, never played his game and while there are a decent amount of swordsmen I can't say no to a samurai. Also at one point I had never played a Fire Emblem game but after Melee that changed.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Don't know if anyone here was aware but Yvette Nicole Brown and Kiersey Clemons will be playing Aunt Sarah and Darling respectively in the live action adaptation of Lady and The Tramp.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/y...mp-1202926182/

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post

Anyway I went to see Overlord today and felt it was a nice one and done movie with the black guy coming out on top against Nazi monsters.
    Went into Overlord knowing absolutely nothing about it. Didn't even know there was a Black lead. And the movie was a crazy, dope trip. Felt like I was watching a video game.
    Kickstarter for my comic Is'nana the Were-Spider, Vol 1 and 2!

Horror/fantasy coming of age book about the son of Anansi the Spider seeking for his place in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Went into Overlord knowing absolutely nothing about it. Didn't even know there was a Black lead. And the movie was a crazy, dope trip. Felt like I was watching a video game.
    When I saw the trailer my first thought was, “this looks like a better Resident Evil movie than the actual Resident Evil movies.”

Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

This looks like it could be pretty fun, and having a black lead is always a plus. Mr. Mine is just as unnerving here as it is in all those creepy Pokemon videos.