Page 130 of 828 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132133134140180230630 ... LastLast
Results 1,936 to 1,950 of 12411
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Puerto Ricans are tri-racial, genetically and culturally speaking. From experience, they're proud of their mixed heritage (Spanish + Taino + African), so I think many would find it offensive to just link them to one race. La Raza Cosmica or La Raza Bronce as phrases exist in Latin America for a reason. So you're good...
    Again, I apologies for overstepping myself. Just wanted to (called myself trying to, at least) make some clarification regarding Rio from the post I originally was quoting on the matter.

This will take some learning then. What would be the acceptable way to, for example, refer to Miles' mom's ethnicity, then?

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Again, I apologies for overstepping myself. Just wanted to (called myself trying to, at least) make some clarification regarding Rio from the post I originally was quoting on the matter.

This will take some learning then. What would be the acceptable way to, for example, refer to Miles' mom's ethnicity, then?
    You weren't overstepping, In fact I will go as far saying I am wrong but Miles and his mom are Latino, Miles is Afro Latino.

The gripe is if someone is white and you call them white, You never hear no he is Swedish/Italian or German/South African not White. When some is called Asian you never hear no he is Korean/Japanese Chinese/Samoan not Asian. But when Black is involved you get the no no he is Puerto rican or Brazilian like if being black is erase that. It is especially frustrating when ethnicity involved background probably has African descent that gets ignored. Calling Miles black doesn't negate his ethnicity but I find that people seem to get confused about race and it means different things people. The big point saying he is "puerto rican" not just black is fine in this case. The funny thing is I was born in US Virgin Islands I have cousins from Dominican Republican and PR we all look the same. We are all from African descent.

If anyone who should be apologizing it is me because you are correct I was only trying to highlight that many Latino ignore the "African descent". And even without Miles dad being in the picture ,Miles probably from African Descent. So in this case like this clarification that Miles is Latino(Puerto Rican) and Black to say don't ignore his Latino heritage from his mom.Triggers the yeah don't ignore African heritage that is probably already there from his mom family.Miles mom is Latino (Latinx is correct term now I believe it is hard to keep up) but Rio Morales has similar skin tone women like Gina Torres, Rosie Perez, Dania Ramirez, Dascha Polanco or Rosario Dawson most of them consider themselves Afro Latina women.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-26-2018 at 12:00 AM.

I would say Puerto Rican's and the people from the DR are the closest cousins to Black folks in the United States.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Just wanted to point out that Miles's mother is Puerto Rican. Otherwise, as you were.
    Funny Enough that's also in the same movie, though I did state between a black man and a white woman. With that said, Miles Mom is trickey since from what I can see, she's afro-Latina. So while that's inter-cultural, I'm not sure if that applies to interracial.

Perfect example is that my mom is afro-Brazilian, and my dad is black. They never really considered their relationship as interracial per say and I'm surely not seen as biracial, I'm just seen as black. Though Afro-Brazilian gets more confusing since we don't speak Spanish, we speak Portuguese. (Well I don't technically speak it lol, just understand it a bit.) So we're considered Latinos but not Hispanic I believe. With that said, brazil is it's own unique bag lol. I have cousins who you would probably think came from Germany and other cousins who's super dark skin. It's pretty cool to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I would say Puerto Rican's and the people from the DR are the closest cousins to Black folks in the United States.
    Eh? What about Cubans and Brazilians? Hell, Brazil has the largest population of black people outside of Africa in the world.
    Last edited by leo619; 12-26-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post

Eh? What about Cubans and Brazilians? Hell, Brazil has the largest population of black people outside of Africa in the world.
    Thems my folks too, I consider them 2nd cousins. It's all a proximity based argument to me. Brazil is far, continent far, Cuba, while closer had that damn embargo thing for forever. I make certain uhh, cultural language/slang concessions, on some level, that I wouldn't some others. We're in mixed company so I'll leave it at that.
    You bet yer ass.

Depends on the Puerto rican or Dominican. It's interesting to me how people treat those terms like they denote race. It would be like saying that girl is American. That doesn't tell you her ethnicity. Some PRs and Dominicans are as black as me (meaning I'm sure there is some white slave master somewhere down my genetic line...just in their case the white slave master spoke Spanish), some are white, and some are mixed.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    It's interesting to me how people treat those terms like they denote race.
    A strict denotation of racial make up, of course, is not and end all be all. However race is a cultural factor, most notably in the 21st century 1- due to proximity and 2 shared African ancestry. Parts of the United States are only a few hundred miles from Canada but I'm not out here caping for Drake's goofy ass.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Depends on the Puerto Rican or Dominican.

Some PRs and Dominicans are as black as me (meaning I'm sure there is some white slave master somewhere down my genetic line...just in their case the white slave master spoke Spanish), some are white, and some are mixed.
    Sure... Some brothas from this very thread are different shades too and from different parts of the United States. Some I consider my mans, some I don't rock with at all and see me same I'm sure. I can dig it, same as PR Hector from one part of a New York burrow may hate black people but the same DR Hector is a brother and/or vice versa. BOTH of them are proximal cousins regardless (in my eyes) to me waayyy over here in Indianapolis 'cept one of em is just an asshole.

I'll throw a curve in there too. Aborigines are my kinfolk too, much further down the line and I've never even met one. Don't matter how dark she is, considers himself or is considered by others. I'm talkin' about ancestry and proximity. We all know by and large, folks don't even need that much to call each other familial names. The fam from the PR and DR are our closest cultural relatives African-Americans have is my point. I own Fat Joe's first single on vinyl and Rosie Perez is one of my favorite dancers from my favorite era of Soul Train, so Hip-Hop has a big hand in it too. Which is why Miles works so well for me at least. Even though I'm more of a Peter guy, I will readilly admit that's pretty much on some nostalgia shit, he's not be much to write about since about the Close saga so I just need to warm to Morales.

BTW, anybody whoose seen Spider-verse, is it gonna be too much for a 4 year old soon to be five? She's thinks Peter Porker YT clips are effing hilarious so I'm thinking this might be my chance.
    You bet yer ass.

BTW, anybody whoose seen Spider-verse, is it gonna be too much for a 4 year old soon to be five? She's thinks Peter Porker YT clips are effing hilarious so I'm thinking this might be my chancent
    spoilers:
    There are a couple of deaths, so that may be a concern. No blood or anything.
    end of spoilers
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Astonishing Member

spoilers:
    yeah, there are a few deaths, they aren’t graphic, so she might not even now what’s going on. But if she’s sensitive to that sort of things, you might want to distract her with popcorn/candy at those parts, lol. My six year old nephew liked it and wasn’t upset at those parts. He wanted to see it for spider ham too
    end of spoilers

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

@Surf She's not gonna understand the plot, so it won't occur to her until years later that a Spider-man actually died in that movie. Just do a little Daddy wand-waving and tell her that Peter went to sleep.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Spider-man PS4 has made me feel like such an old man trying to play videogames. I haven't played an action game in a few years, so my twitch-based reaction skills are OFF. My Peter Parker can get his ass handed to him trying to stop a purse snatching. When I see an armed robbery or a car chase happening, I'm like "Better let the cops handle it." I always try to stealth everything, and if doesn't work, I run away. My Spider-man is less of a superhero than an annoying weirdo who just pops up at unexpected times to troll crime. I hope I get tougher by leveling up. Game's real fun though.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Spider-man PS4 has made me feel like such an old man trying to play videogames. I haven't played an action game in a few years, so my twitch-based reaction skills are OFF. My Peter Parker can get his ass handed to him trying to stop a purse snatching. When I see an armed robbery or a car chase happening, I'm like "Better let the cops handle it." I always try to stealth everything, and if doesn't work, I run away. My Spider-man is less of a superhero than an annoying weirdo who just pops up at unexpected times to troll crime. I hope I get tougher by leveling up. Game's real fun though.
    Nah, it's not just you ... finishing up a second play-through, where I've completed every side-mission and task, and fun as even the massive "base" fights have gotten to be at this point, can still say Spidey can just seem weirdly fragile, at times. I think it's just because it's the only way to make it feel like there's any challenge to the non-boss fights, at all. When you've gotten most of the moves down, and the gadgets, you'll also have the timing such that you mostly Spidey-sense dodge nearly every attack ... so yeah, that a random thug landing a lucky shot can take off a huge chunk of health can seem weird would make sense, especially considering you can dive straight at the ground from the highest building in the city, without so much as a sprained ankle ... but again, if they didn't make you just strangely fragile to incoming damage, the entire game would just be a cakewalk.

And crazy fun as it is, it's really just a bit too easy still, I'd say. And I'm not really an action gamer, either...
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Ultimate Member

BTW, anybody whoose seen Spider-verse, is it gonna be too much for a 4 year old soon to be five? She's thinks Peter Porker YT clips are effing hilarious so I'm thinking this might be my chance.
    I was there as was a 3 year old with his Dad. He was more happy to see Spider-Ham, Miles finally suit up and Spider-Gwen.

The deaths didn't even bother him.

Other than 3 certain folks-you can make a case those others didn't happen.

Extraordinary Member

A really little kid might not even notice that Ult Spidey actually died.

There's a lot going on screen nearly all the time and there's not much difference between Ult Spidey and Sad Divorced Spidey unless you follow the story.

I think Prowler might be harder to explain to a young'un.

But I'm just guessing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    A really little kid might not even notice that Ult Spidey actually died.

There's a lot going on screen nearly all the time and there's not much difference between Ult Spidey and Sad Divorced Spidey unless you follow the story.

I think Prowler might be harder to explain to a young'un.

But I'm just guessing here.
    prowler was the scariest dude on the screen
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html