Page 155 of 824 FirstFirst ... 55105145151152153154155156157158159165205255655 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,325 of 12354

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    I think folks just need to understand that DC is really into grim-dark stuff.

I hold great affection for bronze age DC & Marvel. However, I have to cheery pick DC post Alan Moore & Frank Miller. It's like people read their DC work, focused solely on the darkness, and applied it to their books, films, and now animation.
    There is plenty of light hearted DC stuff for those who don't like the darker stories. It's right there for anyone interested and isn't very hard to find. People just seem to focus solely on the dark stories. And even some of the "grim-dark" isn't that dark at all.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 01-21-2019 at 11:40 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    It's sadly about color Dude....as the overwhelmingly majority of back representation of in Hollywood are actors who are closer to the white standard of beauty which combined with other societal pressures sends a Negative slant on dark skin ...so when you gave a character who has dark/brown skin it's a step backwards casting a biracial person with fairer skin
    Except the problem is that somehow bi-racial means light skin which is clearly not the case. It's not like all bi-racial people look like Steph Curry (who if I recall supposedly has two black parents.) Hell, if no one would have told me, I'd had assume Toks had two black parents as her features are far from European based.

So we're already stereotyping not because of the actual features of the actresses, but the perceived idea that bi-racial automatically equals light skin.

Secondly, the selection of light skin has been significantly reduced over time, and in terms of movies the majority of black males selected have been dark skin. I already posted earlier before about how almost all of the selected black male heroes in comic book movies have been dark skin. Women hasn't shifted as fast as men but it's been on the rise.
    Last edited by leo619; 01-21-2019 at 10:03 AM.

Astonishing Member

Has Tiger ever identified as a black man?
    I think he specifically identified as mixed, I haven't actually see him claimed a specific ethnicity. But that didn't change us claiming him when he started making his advancements at golf. Hell, my dad literally started watching and playing golf because of Tiger lol.

One month after controversial adult-content purge, far-right pages are thriving on Tumblr

https://thinkprogress.org/far-right-...ign=tp-letters

Best Picture Nominees

Black Panther
    Kevin Feige, Producer

BlacKkKlansman
    Sean McKittrick, Jason Blum, Raymond Mansfield, Jordan Peele and Spike Lee, Producers

Bohemian Rhapsody
    Graham King, Producer

The Favourite
    Ceci Dempsey, Ed Guiney, Lee Magiday and Yorgos Lanthimos, Producers

Green Book
    Jim Burke, Charles B. Wessler, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly and Nick Vallelonga, Producers

Roma
    Gabriela Rodríguez and Alfonso Cuarón, Producers

A Star Is Born
    Bill Gerber, Bradley Cooper and Lynette Howell Taylor, Producers

Vice
    Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner, Adam McKay and Kevin Messick, Producers

Black Panther ended up with Best Picture, Production Design, Costume Design, Original Score, Original Song, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 01-22-2019 at 06:57 AM.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Chris Brown detained due to rape

https://news.sky.com/story/singer-ch...-rape-11614412

How many charges can this man beat?

This culture is trash. Burn it all
    Last edited by MindofShadow; 01-22-2019 at 07:30 AM.

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Except the problem is that somehow bi-racial means light skin which is clearly not the case. It's not like all bi-racial people look like Steph Curry (who if I recall supposedly has two black parents.) Hell, if no one would have told me, I'd had assume Toks had two black parents as her features are far from European based.

So we're already stereotyping not because of the actual features of the actresses, but the perceived idea that bi-racial automatically equals light skin.

Secondly, the selection of light skin has been significantly reduced over time, and in terms of movies the majority of black males selected have been dark skin. I already posted earlier before about how almost all of the selected black male heroes in comic book movies have been dark skin. Women hasn't shifted as fast as men but it's been on the rise.
    Will the female Wesley Snipes please stand up!

Extraordinary Member

I think he specifically identified as mixed, I haven't actually see him claimed a specific ethnicity. But that didn't change us claiming him when he started making his advancements at golf. Hell, my dad literally started watching and playing golf because of Tiger lol.
    I think he used a goofy acronym to label himself on Oprah back in the day.

I also think that people underestimate the strength of the "one drop rule" in America.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post

Ultimate Member

Best Picture Nominees

Black Panther
    Kevin Feige, Producer

BlacKkKlansman
    Sean McKittrick, Jason Blum, Raymond Mansfield, Jordan Peele and Spike Lee, Producers

Bohemian Rhapsody
    Graham King, Producer

The Favourite
    Ceci Dempsey, Ed Guiney, Lee Magiday and Yorgos Lanthimos, Producers

Green Book
    Jim Burke, Charles B. Wessler, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly and Nick Vallelonga, Producers

Roma
    Gabriela Rodríguez and Alfonso Cuarón, Producers

A Star Is Born
    Bill Gerber, Bradley Cooper and Lynette Howell Taylor, Producers

Vice
    Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner, Adam McKay and Kevin Messick, Producers

Black Panther ended up with Best Picture, Production Design, Costume Design, Original Score, Original Song, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing
    Going into a mini-rant here. Now, i'm absolutely ecstatic that BP got the Best Picture nomination. Not just because it's a superhero movie but because people of color are getting recognized.

But the sheer amount of racism that I see in the "geek community" is alarming and frankly disgusting. We've all complained about how the Oscars have ignored sci-fi, fantasy and superhero movies (outside of the odd win for The Return of the King) and the Oscars were expanded because of the Dark Knight's success and acclaim. However, when it's a superhero movie with a predominantly black cast, all of a sudden there's a massive uproar.

The geek community hasn't generally concerned themselves much with the Oscars and if you ask most of these guys who won said Best Picture nom last year, they would tell you they don't even know. The only reason they are "bothered" by the Oscars is because a black led movie gets the nomination!

The Dark Knight is rightly revered and is one of the best superhero movies I've ever watched but we would be fooling ourselves if we say it had a larger cultural impact than Black Panther. There are folks that would NEVER, EVER in million years see a superhero movie in the theaters that watched Black Panther several times, it resonated with a large group of people (not just black people by the way because it's political themes were pretty general) that most superhero movies don't. It's all pretty crazy because the Oscars marginalized black actors and creators as a whole but there's so much racism abound these days that it's pretty disturbing.

Honestly, Black Panther isn't the best superhero movie ever but I don't see how several critically acclaimed superhero films are actually better than it. Worse still, there are a ton of movies nominated for Oscars that aren't even better than Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Going into a mini-rant here. Now, i'm absolutely ecstatic that BP got the Best Picture nomination. Not just because it's a superhero movie but because people of color are getting recognized.

But the sheer amount of racism that I see in the "geek community" is alarming and frankly disgusting. We've all complained about how the Oscars have ignored sci-fi, fantasy and superhero movies (outside of the odd win for The Return of the King) and the Oscars were expanded because of the Dark Knight's success and acclaim. However, when it's a superhero movie with a predominantly black cast, all of a sudden there's a massive uproar.

The geek community hasn't generally concerned themselves much with the Oscars and if you ask most of these guys who won said Best Picture nom last year, they would tell you they don't even know. The only reason they are "bothered" by the Oscars is because a black led movie gets the nomination!

The Dark Knight is rightly revered and is one of the best superhero movies I've ever watched but we would be fooling ourselves if we say it had a larger cultural impact than Black Panther. There are folks that would NEVER, EVER in million years see a superhero movie in the theaters that watched Black Panther several times, it resonated with a large group of people (not just black people by the way because it's political themes were pretty general) that most superhero movies don't. It's all pretty crazy because the Oscars marginalized black actors and creators as a whole but there's so much racism abound these days that it's pretty disturbing.

Honestly, Black Panther isn't the best superhero movie ever but I don't see how several critically acclaimed superhero films are actually better than it. Worse still, there are a ton of movies nominated for Oscars that aren't even better than Black Panther.
    700 mil domestic
    1.344 billion WW
    A+ Cinemascore

97% RT score
    8.2/10 RT rating
    100% Top Critics RT score
    8.9/10 Top Critics RT Rating
    88 metacritic score

Oscar nominated
    MTV Award winner
    Teen Choice Award Winner
    Peoples Choice Award Winner
    BET Award Winner
    Satellite Award Winner
    Critics Choice Award Winner

Dominated the money (aka the audience), dominated the critics, dominated awards

By every single objective measure we have, it is one of the best comic book movies of all time. One of the best movies this year.

Yet, there is a certain segment of the population that cannot stand it. Absolutely cannot stand it. To the point where they have to bring up how much it sucks at every opportunity. And it is so... loud. It isn't uncommon to have different opinions on comic book movies (see Thor: Ragnorak or BvS for example). And hell, Wonder Woman got a ton of praise last year and people did protest it a bit.

But it was no where near this loud and angry.

Even after everything Brown has done since 2009, this is still a shock to me.

Extraordinary Member

The nerds that are raging about B.P's Best Pic nomination (which I learned about 5 minutes ago!) are
    raging precisely because the film is being recognized not only for its quality but for cultural significance that movies like Dark Knight and Logan DON'T have.

Nerd Culture HATE HATE HATES being reminded about culture and diversity issues and we've seen the pushback and upset over servicing a larger audience for years now, so I'm not surprised that there's a interwebz meltdown going on now.

Like MOS mentioned, by every objective measure we have The Black Panther movie is not just a hit but phenomenon, but objective measures aren't enough for gatekeeping nerds and kind of never have been.

To a hilarious degree.

Has Tiger ever identified as a black man?
    I think he specifically identified as mixed, I haven't actually see him claimed a specific ethnicity.
    The specific identity he has claimed is caublanasian.

But that didn't change us claiming him when he started making his advancements at golf. Hell, my dad literally started watching and playing golf because of Tiger lol.
    Its only natural for people to like seeing someone that looks like them excel at something where there aren't a lot of people like them. It's not a coincidence that whites loved Vanilla Ice when he came out and love Eminem so much to this day that they claim he's the best rapper ever. Yao Ming and Jeremy Lin have large Asian-american fanbases. Venus & Serena inspired lots of black people to get into tennis.

So yeah some black folks were definitely taken with Tiger when he was a new phenomenon. That has certainly changed for some over the years as his feelings have become known.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Anyone catch the recent episode of Black Lightning?

Something tells me Jen is going to want a piece of Tobias after this.

Oh and congrats to Black Panther.