Page 173 of 828 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173174175176177183223273673 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,595 of 12414
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    https://www.thewrap.com/jussie-smoll...ds-chicago-pd/

Admittedly, I'm not a cop but why would they need his phone records so badly?
    I honestly don’t know how much the Police need his phone records but Jussie said that he was talking to his manager when the guys attacked him and screamed some stuff.

I suspect it’s to support his story that he was actually attacked by a couple of MAGA thugs since there are no material witnesses besides Jussie himself.

Ultimate Member

Very unpopular hot take here, i have no problems with white people wearing braids.

It’s something that I just don’t care enough about because white people have been sporting braids for a long time.

Anyone here watch Grownish? What did you think of the recent episode that tackled consent?

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    I doubt that they knew that I was Alyssa.... or they really had an "issue" with her hair.... the camera probby caught them when they were casting a lil shade at the regular obtuseness of white people
    oh no, a mirror pictures of social media, how obtuse and rude! only white people do that!

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Very unpopular hot take here, i have no problems with white people wearing braids.

It’s something that I just don’t care enough about because white people have been sporting braids for a long time.

Cultural appropriation outrage is an argument that I understand but at the same time don't "get." If that makes any sense.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    oh no, a mirror pictures of social media, how obtuse and rude! only white people do that!

Cultural appropriation outrage is an argument that I understand but at the same time don't "get." If that makes any sense.
    The only time it really bugs me is when it takes on a self congratulatory tone. Like say when magazines act like white celebrities have discovered some hot new trend that other people have been doing for decades or quit doing years ago.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    The only time it really bugs me is when it takes on a self congratulatory tone. Like say when magazines act like white celebrities have discovered some hot new trend that other people have been doing for decades or quit doing years ago.
    Yeah, that's whack.

That's when discussions around "culture vultures" come up.

Heh. Like when Bo Derek "invented" cornrows back in the 70s.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

I'm old enough to remember when cornrows were only for women. In the early to mid 80's it was a low cut, a shag or freakin' curl. These young bois these days are in a golden age, it's whatev.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Astonishing Member

Same here, especially since we never had a "lock" on braids to begin with. Braids has been part of other people's cultures for long time, including certain cultures
    of white people.

Now where I normally have the issue with is the double standard on how some black folks have been looked down upon for wearing braids, yet when certain white people sport them, suddenly it's fantastic.

Well, looks like Candace Owens is appropriating apologizing for Hitler.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Invincible Member

Well, looks like Candace Owens is appropriating apologizing for Hitler.
    After reading her original statement and her clarification I believe that she wasn't saying that Hitler was ok or that he would have been ok if he just stayed in Germany. I take her at her word that she brought up Hitler to explain how the term "nationalism" is wrongly associated with Hitler.

Here's the thing...A)nationalism is rightly associated with Hitler, Mussolini, etc. She obviously either doesn't know what that word means, or she was being willfully obtuse. And B) why does she feel the need to defend the term in the first place? I can only imagine it's because she heard Trump say the word and thinks nothing that Trump says is ever wrong.

Ultimate Member

I don’t take Candace Owens seriously at all.

Just like the conservative “Barbie dolls” like Tomi Lahren, people like Owens have probably figured out there’s fame (and probably money) to be made by being some abrasive black conservative. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with being a black conservative however there is something wrong when all one does is parrot other people’s talking point without re-contextualizing said points in a meaningful manner. A black woman talking about nationalism should be more aware of the extremely negative connections the word has and the very real, dire implications it’s had for minority populations everywhere.

Just like Jesse Lee Peterson, their arguments don’t really make much sense because everything they say is simply to pander their audience.

Some people don't know the correct vocabulary when speaking on the issue but black people are not arguing with white people about wearing braids since every culture has worn braids ...it's the sub type of braid like cornrows that a majority of black people wear and will get in trouble with schools for if it's styled in a particular way that's deemed too distracting and yet with white people are praised for and put on the front cover of a magazine, and that's generally the consensus for any black hair style from afros, locs, box braids, bantu knots, twists etc which mostly effect black women ...which means cultural approatiation in regards to hair is probably a higher priority for that gender than the opposite since hair is a thing that women in general are pressured into putting so much value in and black women are being prevented in not only expressing themselves with it but also taking the best care of it (since a good majority of braiding styles are considered protective hairstyles) and being forced to use chemicals that do damage your hair.

Also I think the black people in the photo with Alyssa Milano are just giving the typical black people side eye ...and what a side eye it is, this photo is great meme material.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 02-09-2019 at 04:58 AM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Also I think the black people in the photo with Alyssa Milano are just giving the typical black people side eye ...and what a side eye it is, this photo is great meme material.
    Right, doubt they even realized who she was, took me a day, I was all Alyssa who.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Writer David Walker starts his own comic company

https://www.newsarama.com/43797-davi...mNSkTOxePUTRe0
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store