Page 179 of 828 FirstFirst ... 79129169175176177178179180181182183189229279679 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,685 of 12411
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    alright I have to take a consensus with you guys. Do you guys feel like me that Bendis seems to be the only writer able to create successful new minority heroes currently? First Miles Morales, then Ironheart, now Naomi is selling out (and is a really good book.)
    I believe it's largely due to his manga style writing approach, which fits really well for teenage characters where manga is more popular than comics in that age demographic. Especially after the crash and burn of dc's dark matter series, which had a group of
    high profile writers and artists, it feels like bendis is the only one that can do and do it right.
    I don't think it's about his writing style per se...cuz his style is great for certain types of comics and terrible for others. I do think he and Geoff Johns make greater efforts because they have skin in the game in a couple of different ways. They're committed to being Marvel/DC guys and are willing to create new characters for those companies, they're in mixed race families ( I know they aren't the only ones). Bringing more diversity to mainstream comics is obviously important to them and they don't stop when one doesn't hit big immediately.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I don't think it's about his writing style per se...cuz his style is great for certain types of comics and terrible for others. I do think he and Geoff Johns make greater efforts because they have skin in the game in a couple of different ways. They're committed to being Marvel/DC guys and are willing to create new characters for those companies, they're in mixed race families ( I know they aren't the only ones). Bringing more diversity to mainstream comics is obviously important to them and they don't stop when one doesn't hit big immediately.
    Well I mean a writing style doesn't have to be universal. After all, there's definitely manga writers who have a specific wheel house they operate in, in order to be successful. I just mean that when his writing style reflects the strength of what you see in manga, teenage heroes that heavily focus on character interaction and development and the plot being secondary, he seems to do it very well. And Geoff Johns use to make greater efforts, he doesn't really do much writing anymore so I'm not so sure we can use him as current tense. But when he was writing, certainly. He definitely had a degree of success when it comes to creating minority successful heroes. Though I don't believe they have gain the level of success as bendis characters has.

I know Bendis has two adopted black kids but who are the non white members in Johns' family?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Everybody who was considered major writing talent in the Big 2 in 2010 has either left mainstream comics altogether or is at DC now.

So I'm really not surprised at all.
    I just wish Chris Priest had a shot as editor-in-chief. The boys club is sure to have a faction dead set against it but for real for real, he should be a pilar of the 'boys club' having been in the game since I was in short pants. Maybe he's been asked about it and turned it down, which is likely, he was out of the game for long time. Usually a stint on JL is a sign of bigger things but then too he's been there and done it so...
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I know Bendis has two adopted black kids but who are the non white members in Johns' family?
    Johns was raised in a half Lebanese family.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I just wish Chris Priest had a shot as editor-in-chief. The boys club is sure to have a faction dead set against it but for real for real, he should be a pilar of the 'boys club' having been in the game since I was in short pants. Maybe he's been asked about it and turned it down, which is likely, he was out of the game for long time. Usually a stint on JL is a sign of bigger things but then too he's been there and done it so...
    Priest was an editor at Marvel when he was using the Jim Osley name. He's made it clear that the comics industry isn't a priority for him anymore and only takes projects that interest him, so I don't think he would take the EiC job at any company now.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    And he is (or was) married to a black woman.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

I think his wife is black too. I don't know if he has any kids.

Does Ironheart have a solo? It's doing well? I honestly have no idea?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    And he is (or was) married to a black woman.
    Even Better!

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Does Ironheart have a solo? It's doing well? I honestly have no idea?
    Yes, it's three issues in. I don't know what the sales figures are but it's a decent comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I feel my wife capes for anything featured or debuting on the first page of her Netflix profile so of course she's rocked with damn near 10 eps of Umbrella Academy this past weekend. I walk past and did notice Mary J. Blige though, don't know how much of it she's in but that's kind of random and dope. Meebee I'll give it a LOOK, on that alone.
    You might want to "Front Burner" that.

Invincible Member

Smollett has been charged with filing a fake police report.

Smollett has been charged with filing a fake police report.
    Will there be a vigil?

Ryan Coogler got surprised by a young fan dressed as Shuri during an interview

https://mobile.twitter.com/nostalgia...76216651931648