Page 18 of 828 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868118518 ... LastLast

I still can't believe that the what... 10th? most important character in that movie caused so much hate online.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I still can't believe that the what... 10th? most important character in that movie caused so much hate online.
    She got more hate than Laura Dern's character, whose entire role should really have just been Leia's.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Extraordinary Member

Racist Gatekeepers Gonna Gatekeep.

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    She got more hate than Laura Dern's character, whose entire role should really have just been Leia's.
    Yeah, they killed the wrong Skywalker
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Yeah, they killed the wrong Skywalker
    I'm someone who generally liked The Last Jedi, but... Holdo was just not needed. Everything she did would have made more sense if you'd just had Leia occupy that role. Especially Poe's revolt. He was 100% out of line, but because he's a newer "face" of the franchise and Holdo was just some random authority figure the audience sides with Poe by default. If the same story beats were done with Leia and Poe, it would have A. made the audience side with Leia, B. made the lesson Poe learned when Leia sacrifices herself more powerful.

It was a really weird story choice.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

They way they treated Kelly Marie Tran, is why I don't care when these guys get doxxed, lose their jobs, and fall into ruin. "I shouldn't have to lose everything over some jokes!"

Anyone who'd express such a sentiment is an utter horse's ass. You'd gather up with others to hunt human beings via group harassment, but the idea that you could be hunted in turn is unthinkable? What a bunch of jokers.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    They way they treated Kelly Marie Tran, is why I don't care when these guys get doxxed, lose their jobs, and fall into ruin. "I shouldn't have to lose everything over some jokes!"

Anyone who'd express such a sentiment is an utter horse's ass. You'd gather up with others to hunt human beings via group harassment, but the idea that you could be hunted in turn is unthinkable? What a bunch of jokers.
    Especially over a movie.
    Pull List:

Extraordinary Member

I'm someone who generally liked The Last Jedi, but... Holdo was just not needed. Everything she did would have made more sense if you'd just had Leia occupy that role. Especially Poe's revolt. He was 100% out of line, but because he's a newer "face" of the franchise and Holdo was just some random authority figure the audience sides with Poe by default. If the same story beats were done with Leia and Poe, it would have A. made the audience side with Leia, B. made the lesson Poe learned when Leia sacrifices herself more powerful.

I think you are meant to doubt Holdo along with Poe. You have Poe mutiny against Leia, he is automatically wrong...he would be wrong for even considering mutiny against Leia it let alone doing it.

The Fandom would never forgive him either.

The way it played out Poe and the audience were supposed to learn that sometimes you have to respect the chain of command even when they give orders you don't like.

It's just that a certain faction of fans doubled down on seeing that because Poe>Holdo in their minds so Poe couldn't be wrong plot be damned.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post

The way it played out Poe and the audience were supposed to learn that sometimes you have to respect the chain of command even when they give orders you don't like.
    Star Wars is old school in that sense. Something that plays out again and again in these movies is that refusing to heed advice from those more experienced than you, leads to disaster. The council says no to training Anakin. Qui-gon, then Obi-wan say: "Shut up, old men! I'm doing what's right!" Splish! They get Vadered. Anakin never listens to Obi-wan, and basically spends his Jedi Knighthood slowly going crazy while getting chopped up bit by bit. And then he ends it by getting cooked. Luke doesn't listen to Yoda and gets his ass kicked and his world rocked. Rey doesn't listen to Luke and helps install a new leader for the first order who is certifiably loony toons. Poe doesn't listen to anyone and ends up looking like a real git.

The viewpoint that you should listen to your elders is pretty contrary to "Badass does it all himself his oooown way," Which is way more popular these days.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Star Wars is old school in that sense. Something that plays out again and again in these movies is that refusing to heed advice from those more experienced than you, leads to disaster. The council says no to training Anakin. Qui-gon, then Obi-wan say: "Shut up, old men! I'm doing what's right!" Splish! They get Vadered. Anakin never listens to Obi-wan, and basically spends his Jedi Knighthood slowly going crazy while getting chopped up bit by bit. And then he ends it by getting cooked. Luke doesn't listen to Yoda and gets his ass kicked and his world rocked. Rey doesn't listen to Luke and helps install a new leader for the first order who is certifiably loony toons. Poe doesn't listen to anyone and ends up looking like a real git.

The viewpoint that you should listen to your elders is pretty contrary to "Badass does it all himself his oooown way," Which is way more popular these days.
    Mind you the writing issues with these films makes it very easy to come away with the message that rebellion and nonconformist are the way to go all the time. I see a lot of people saying the Jedi were at fault for having the rule that forbade relationships and the Luke disobeying Yoda and Obi-Wan was the best decision he ever made. A lot of the problems in these stories end up happening because of the Jefi's overall ineptitude. And the sequels are no different.

Edit: This video highlights what I mean

Last edited by Agent Z; 08-21-2018 at 10:50 AM.

BANNED

I disagree.

While Poe is relatively new, he's one of the heroes.
    The point of making Holdo a new character instead of Leia or Ackbar is to make the audience unsure about who to trust here.
    It creates suspense instead of basically flatout stating Poe is wrong in almost everything he does.

If the same story beats were done with Leia and Poe, it would have A. made the audience side with Leia, B. made the lesson Poe learned when Leia sacrifices herself more powerful.
    They wouldn't be story beats. It would just be Leia on a soap box. Plus, they really wanted to use Leia a lot in the next film.

And like Vic Vega said, Poe, or anybody else, rebelling against Leia just doesn't work on any level at all.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Mind you the writing issues with these films makes it very easy to come away with the message that rebellion and nonconformist are the way to go all the time. I see a lot of people saying the Jedi were at fault for having the rule that forbade relationships and the Luke disobeying Yoda and Obi-Wan was the best decision he ever made. A lot of the problems in these stories end up happening because of the Jefi's overall ineptitude. And the sequels are no different.

Edit: This video highlights what I mean

As much (deserved) grief as Lucas gets for the prequels, Attack of the Clone at the very least notes that the Jedi had only made things worse by the end of the film.
    Yoda as good as stated that all they really did in the end was turn a Planetary war into a Galactic one.

We just aren't QUITE sure if the movies knows that the Jedi being complicit with Slavers and Union Busters should a Bad Thing.

There's this video I saw that rewrites Rose as a spy, and it fixes a few other problems in the movie as well.

I thought it was interesting at least.

Boots Riley criticizes Spike Lee's depiction of cops in BlacKKKlansman

https://www.themarysue.com/boots-ril...lackkklansman/

Extraordinary Member

I agree with you.