Page 20 of 828 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120520 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    I forget, is Zendaya mixed or just light skinned?
    She's biracial.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    So there are obviously going to be complaints about her not being a redhead, but how often do we think complaints of just the concept of a black mermaid will show up? I bring this up because it's honestly kind of shocking how often complaints of a lack of diversity in fantasy settings are met with replies that basically boil down to "that doesn't make sense".
    My fantasy concept involves both racial issues as we know them (one human character, Sol, is Afro-Latina while another is Asian in origin) and the usual fantasy racial tropes (prejudice against dark elves, ogres, dragons, etc) -- personally, I think the two are not only compatible but likewise compliment each other, which is why one of the running themes is about two half-elven sisters -- one "light" [Dawn] and one "dark" [Dusk] -- born from the same human father but different mothers, and how the prejudices of the society around them helped shape them both as they grew up apart from one another.

Part of the reason that Drizzt is such a solid character is the way that he addresses such prejudices directly and counters the age-old stereotypes regarding "dark" elves -- it's ironic that many fantasy readers will find the "racial" struggles of a fictional character so compelling, yet complain when real issues of "race" that parallel those of our world are addressed in kind.

By the way, anyone who enjoys R.A. Salvatore's work might benefit from checking out the game Kingdoms of Amalur which he helped create, along with Todd MacFarlane of Spider-Man and Spawn fame.
    Last edited by aja_christopher; 08-23-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Are red heads the white version of really dark skinned black people? white people's version of colorism lol?

I'll be more curious if King Triton is black then. I forget, is Zendaya mixed or just light skinned?
    Maybe Triton can be black, and Jodi Benson, Ariel's voice actress can play her mom.

Wait a minute, can Zendaya sing? They need a really good singer.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 08-23-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Ultimate Member

I don't know why Hollywood still doesn't realise their are black people with natural red hair.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I know it's tongue and cheek and is suppose to be a bashing weapon.

Folks are now suddenly using Static as "proof" of diversity done right. Especially in attacks towards Ms Marvel & Riri.
    10 years ago it was Static ruined the Teen Titans, got Young Justice axed and his book failing PROVED POC should not have books.

Now those same folks BITTER about Riri, Miles & Khan have suddenly changed their minds about Static.
    Of course they are mainly talking about CARTOON Static.

Since his first solo series is not in trade beyond issue 5.
    Wonder how they would react to first series if it came out today?

Static fights a WHITE bully
    Static gets a gun
    Static recruited by Holocaust to kill
    Static fights a black terrorist
    Static finds out about Rich being gay
    Static saves the day in Worlds Collide event
    Static lets Wade go after seeing him dealing drugs
    Static with a girlfriend
    Static deals with Sex
    Static deals with Frieda's eating disorder
    Static and school shootings
    Static having a father
    Static on a team with 2 Lesbian lovers
    Static the ORIGINAL character every one screams for yet don't support.
    LOLOLOLOL. A lot of people talking about Milestone comics didn't read them back in the day.

Fortunately, I'm old enough to say I read the books when they came out. When you want to talk about a line tackling very tough issues and in a truly (and i mean truly) diverse environment, then you talk about Milestone.

Those titles were so far ahead of their time it wasn't funny.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    LOLOLOLOL. A lot of people talking about Milestone comics didn't read them back in the day.

Fortunately, I'm old enough to say I read the books when they came out. When you want to talk about a line tackling very tough issues and in a truly (and i mean truly) diverse environment, then you talk about Milestone.

Those titles were so far ahead of their time it wasn't funny.
    Milestone gave you a lesson and you didn't KNOW you were being taught.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    So there are obviously going to be complaints about her not being a redhead, but how often do we think complaints of just the concept of a black mermaid will show up? I bring this up because it's honestly kind of shocking how often complaints of a lack of diversity in fantasy settings are met with replies that basically boil down to "that doesn't make sense".
    You mean like how it's fine for everyone to believe in Thor & talking Raccoons & trees but not Wakanda?

Some of those complaints come from the fact that the stories being used tend to be from ONE source.

So if you tell the story of Snow White-it's from a European source.

Or we get fantasy books and DESPITE some having POC in them-we see white washing or roles revised or parts of the book excluded.

Take the Dark Minds movie. I have "read" the books-I know what happens to the black guy & Asian girl at the end. How does the movie treat them? The girl ends up the same way in the both version. The black guy-

spoilers:
    in the movie he gets the brunt of an expulsion, in the book he is accidentally shot by a friend's father-who he was trying to give a note to
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You mean like how it's fine for everyone to believe in Thor & talking Raccoons & trees but not Wakanda?

Some of those complaints come from the fact that the stories being used tend to be from ONE source.

So if you tell the story of Snow White-it's from a European source.

Or we get fantasy books and DESPITE some having POC in them-we see white washing or roles revised or parts of the book excluded.

Take the Dark Minds movie. I have "read" the books-I know what happens to the black guy & Asian girl at the end. How does the movie treat them? The girl ends up the same way in the both version. The black guy-

spoilers:
    in the movie he gets the brunt of an expulsion, in the book he is accidentally shot by a friend's father-who he was trying to give a note to
    end of spoilers
    If I may ask, what becomes of the Asian girl?

Ooh, I gotta try that lepat pisang one day.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    If I may ask, what becomes of the Asian girl?
    Oh it's nothing really bad in the way we EXPECT it.

spoilers:
    She leaves with a group of kids in the movie and books. She is absent in the second book and returns in the third book. If they are doing a second film-she might not be there. The second book does more with the black guy.
    end of spoilers

While the title of the article doesn't really reflect it, it looks like Sam Chung(and potentially Blindspot?) is going to be a part of the upcoming season of Iron Fist.

https://www.cbr.com/soule-hints-blin...ampaign=CBR-TW

Extraordinary Member

I wish I was shocked by this.

I'm just disgusted.

http://https://kotaku.com/mass-shoot...ida-1828612171